Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My local GameStop is closing down

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

gibgodsman wrote: »
    They will all be closed by 2021, I have no doubt about it, terrible business plan, 0 willingness to change with the times, you are better trading your games in literally anywhere else. And for the few that still actually buy physical games, Argos has every new release at least €15 cheaper day 1

True. But don't forget that they offer incredibly good value trade in deals for physical games around the times of game conventions that blitz any price Argos, CEX, Smyths or PSN can offer.

Probably a factor contributing to their suffering! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Penn wrote: »
    Yet it's not something I've seen installed in almost any other store, like Smyths, Gamestop, was never in Xtravision or HMV stores... Have a barrier, sure. But for a staff member to have to rely on another staff member to open the barrier, thereby distracting that member who may be dealing with a customer, and where the counters are pretty short anyway meaning it's not like someone is going to sneak behind the counter unnoticed, is just a ridiculously poor design. It's irritated me any time I was being dealt with by someone behind the till (usually trading in a few games or dvds and waiting while they were being checked) and they had to keep going over and opening the barrier for someone else.

Most other stores (gamestop/hmv/Xtravision ect) have a security locked store room behind the till area of close by where high value goods are stored. Thing to remember is these high value goods are New and boxed, no need to demo or show the condition to someone buying. Xtravision also like a lot of stores used a folding countertop and door access... which was a nightmare because it always ended up stacked with products meaning every time you needed to get to the shop floor you’d spend ages clearing it off and back on again. Or worse when a very very angry man wants to bust your head in over something in store and starts lifting it to get access.... not fun.

The CeX design where absolutely nothing of value is stored on the shop floor and unless access to behind the till is gained or a customer snatches a product being demo’d works pretty well. The counters are high to distract wanna be vaulters (used to happen in Smyths at my time there before they increased the counter height) and the access door is high too with a latch you cannot reach from outside.

Pretty much. If someone wants to rob anything more than an empty game case in CeX they either have to ask to demo something and be standing with a staff member, Vault the counter, or ask to be let in ha ha

I’d be questioning why someone is leaving and returning so often for it to be an annoyance. First guess would be they are understaffed, but to be honest, there could be a hundred reasons. It’s one of the main reasons CeX started rolling out more stores that have staff on the floor with mobile tills. No idea how successful it was but the idea was to always have someone merching and free to help customers with quick sales (a game or two, a phone etc) while the staff on regular till processed larger orders and test etc

This is kinda making me nostalgic for my old jobs ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

I have never bought anything in CEX, I've traded in a lot but to buy they're a rip off. A second hand iPad or phone is more than it is new, same for most new releases. I dunno who's buying off them, it's weird. I dunno I just don't like buying second hand. Rather a new device with a warranty and I know it hasn't been dropped or repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I never buy any technology off them and the games i buy generally would be older items that for some reason buying digitally would cost allot.

Would never buy a new game from them either, i mostly either buy digitally or from amazon.

Its a pity i have actually got to a stage now where i have the space for collectors edition but i have had bad experience with gamestop either not ordering enough or they just vanish when you go to collect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Calhoun wrote: »
    I never buy any technology off them and the games i buy generally would be older items that for some reason buying digitally would cost allot.

Would never buy a new game from them either, i mostly either buy digitally or from amazon.

Its a pity i have actually got to a stage now where i have the space for collectors edition but i have had bad experience with gamestop either not ordering enough or they just vanish when you go to collect them.

Your not missing much, the collectors editions now are pure ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Recent link's awakening was pretty good. Its only certain games that id be willing to spend more on.

Advertisement