Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant's Causeway trip

Options
  • 02-10-2019 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    I am organising a bus to take a large group (around 40) to the Giant's Causeway. Travelling from Co. Meath.

Is there anywhere to stop about midway to grab a cup of coffee/toilet?

After the visit to the Causeway, where would be a suitable place to go for lunch around that area?

Im not sure we'll add the rope bridge as well - November can be hit and miss weather wise and it's already a 3 hour journey there!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,547 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Applegreen Lisburn on the motorway just south of Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

_Brian wrote: »

An Applegreen is perfect! Thanks! I couldn't visualise any past Castlebellingham!

Now just to sort some lunch around the Causeway! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,547 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

An Applegreen is perfect! Thanks! I couldn't visualise any past Castlebellingham!

Now just to sort some lunch around the Causeway! :D

theres a small pub just down from the visitor centre and it does great grub, might be hard for a large group but maybe ye could book or something.

Theres also a hotel right at the centre

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Bush mills hotel for food
    Great spot

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It may be obvious, but give wherever you are planning to have lunch a ring in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

_Brian wrote: »

May I suggest finding a small family ran establishment, they would really appreciate the business and look after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Where ever you decide OP give them advance notice as if you land 40 people unannounced the service will be painfully slow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I’d also suggest checking in with the visitor centre that they have coach parking available on the day. When we were there in August, parking was really tight.

The Causeway Hotel is right there, and if you call them, they could advise on lunch. Otherwise I would go for Portrush, as there are loads of suitable places there and it’s lovely for a walk after lunch before getting back on the bus.

Someone mentioned Bushmills, and while I’m sure the hotel itself is a fine establishment, the town was festooned with Parachute Regiment flags during the summer - just so you’re aware...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

55 degrees north in Portrush is a really good restaurant with great views

Thanks for all the suggestions - don't worry, I wasn't planning on just rocking up to be fed! Thanks a mill! :)

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    May I suggest finding a small family ran establishment, they would really appreciate the business and look after you.

I would but the coffee en route is only a quick pit stop! It's already a long enough journey from Meath! But appreciate the suggestion!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

Hi the Fullerton Arms in Ballintoy take large groups and the food is great. They are on the Causeway Coast and your group can go to Ballintoy Harbour. It’s also close to the Dark Hedges too if you were intending to visit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

misschoo wrote: »
    Hi the Fullerton Arms in Ballintoy take large groups and the food is great. They are on the Causeway Coast and your group can go to Ballintoy Harbour. It’s also close to the Dark Hedges too if you were intending to visit there.

Good call. Carrick-a-rede rope bridge is also within walking distance from the Fullerton providing everyone is able bodied. There is a charge to cross the bridge but no charge to go and see it despite National Trusts portacabin giving the impression that you have to pay to pass it.

I don't know if we'll venture any further - it's a 3 hour trip one way as it is and weather can be crap in November!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

The Fullerton Arms is on your way back from the Giants Causeway heading towards Ballycastle so you wouldn’t be going out of your way

If memory serves me correctly, when you do the rope bridge, it's given to you like an appointment (ie; your go is at 1pm, for example).

I'd recommend adding the rope bridge on and ringing them in advance to see if you can secure a time slot in advance for your group (so you can just wander up and go straight across).

I've never done the rope bridge, but i have been to the causeway two times (both times rope bridge was booked out for ages or we'd have been waiting hours). I realise I'll be kicked to death for saying this, but the giants causeway, much of a natural phenom as it may be, is a bit of a dull day out.

There really isn't a whole heap in terms of activities, etc. about the place. It's really just an hour (or less) walking around. At least with the rope bridge you've a bit of an 'experience' added on to the trip. Or alternatively i'd see if you could add on a visit to Titanic Experience (just a random example) in Belfast or something on the way to/from the Causeway.

I think a 3 hours spin to the Causeway and back on the bus would just be a tad underwhelming for many (unless you're an older group or a group of people who have massive interest in that specific attraction and could really soak up the history of it or such, but as a general day out activity I just find it a little lackluster).

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Groups also have to book the rope bridge in advance, so I would check availability in advance. If you decide to go on the day you will only get to see it in the distance.

Recently did the trip in one day from Dublin, Causeway, rope bridge and dark hedges. Long day but i actually enjoyed the variety and opportunity to stretch the legs. You will have a long bus trip regardless, might as well make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Dunluce Castle is also in that area and AFAIK they do tours of it

01_Dunluce-Castle-Northern-Ireland.gif

Advertisement