Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renault Zoe

• 02-10-2019 10:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

Hi

Can someone give me some pointers in regard to a Renault Zoe.

Looks like the 1st gen ones (or whatever the word is) were from 2012-2016 and have a 22kw battery. Would they have a range of 100 miles or so when new?

What is battery degradation like?

Are they generally reliable?

What is the battery ‘lease’ thing about?

Not sure if I’m getting mixed up here but it seems to have a 43kw onboard charger which seems massive compared to 3.3kw of some leafs.

Anything to look out for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Just buy that Prius, Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭adunis

Correct re age range 22kw
    100 miles new yes
    Battery degredation negligible
    Reliable very
    Connected app is crap due to be updated this month
    Dunno 100% charging speeds on 1st gen one but the ze4 will pull 22kw out of a public charger it's a party piece.
    There was also a q90 which I think was quoted at 43kw charging speed.
    Battery lease is just that buy the car much cheaper and lease the battery various terms mileage options available c.50euro/month.
    Some people think it's good most hate it.leasebmustvbevtaken up by new owner,Renault can disable car remotely if not paid,but will also replace the battery no quibbles if faulty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

adunis wrote: »
    100 miles new yes
    Reliable very
    Dunno 100% charging speeds on 1st gen one but the ze4 will pull 22kw out of a public charger it's a party piece.
    Battery lease is just that buy the car much cheaper and lease the battery various terms mileage options available c.50euro/month.
    Some people think it's good most hate it.leasebmustvbevtaken up by new owner,Renault can disable car remotely if not paid,but will also replace the battery no quibbles if faulty

Thank you, good info. appreciated.
    If you buy one of these privately or even from a garage, how do you manage the lease thing, who do you pay the actual lease money to? A Renault Ireland bank account is it?

100 miles new yes
    Reliable very

so more a less the same range as a leaf then.
    Does it have any negatives (like the gen 1 leaf heat pump scenario)

Those charging times are very good compared to Leaf.

Anyone else have any comments on the Zoe?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

We have a new ZE40 Zoe at work. Great little car (ours is converted to a van). Has cost peanuts to run so far and we’re getting 320kms out of it now but we do respect it when we drive it - there’s only three of us who use it.
    Mixture of town / N-Road driving.

They are very basic compared to my eGolf and any other EV but it’s perfect for what is needed at work.

Thanks.

Anyone have any comments on the one with the 22 kw battery?

How much of this is actually useable?

I think in the 24 leaf, only 21.4 is useable from new.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ning

22kwh usable when new - I think it got around 25kwh total. Battery degradation on the Zoe is negligible. Zoe have got more range than 24 leaf + they can pull 22kw from any ESB charger + they look way better. We just completed a 4100 km trip in France with a Zoe 22kw (Q90 with fast charger at 43kw), no problem at all. I get 150km range in summer, 120km in winter.

Ning wrote: »
    22kwh usable when new - I think it got around 25kw total. Zoe have got more range than 24 leaf + they can pull 22kw from any ESB charger + they look way better. We just completed a 4100 km trip in France with a Zoe 22kw (Q90 with fast charger at 43kw), no problem at all. I get 150km range in summer, 120km in winter.

Ah ok. Great info. Thank you. What year is yours?
    Brilliant the way its 22kwh useable from new.

The fact they can pull 22kw from an esb charger is savage. Fully charged in an hour so !!

How is the heating system in them? Any issues like with leaf with the dodgy heat system on gen 1.

How is the battery overall, anything to look out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ning

Zoe has got a heat pump for heating, so it's not drawing much energy. Never had an issue with heating (or cooling). It is possible to pre-condition the car in morning as well (timer, or start with the Renault app).

We got a Zoe with battery owned, but there are also number of second hand Zoe with battery lease (coming at >60 euro per month depending on mileage). Number of pro and cons of going with battery lease vs battery owned, so really a decision for you.

When you buy a second hand car from a proper dealer (we got ours from electricautos.ie) , battery health is usually provided - ours was 98% (3 year old) last year, and not noticed a degradation in range after driving 16,000 km with it. At this point it is well proven by experience that there is no major issue with battery degradation on Zoes. Renault replaces battery if health go under a specific percentage (75 or 80%) within 5 years, or during the lifetime is the battery is leased, but I've never heard of anyone having to change the battery in the community.

• Advertisement

Ning wrote: »
    Zoe has got a heat pump for heating, so it's not drawing much energy. Never had an issue with heating (or cooling). It is possible to pre-condition the car in morning as well (timer, or start with the Renault app).

We got a Zoe with battery owned, but there are also number of second hand Zoe with battery lease (coming at >60 euro per month depending on mileage). Number of pro and cons of going with battery lease vs battery owned, so really a decision for you.

When you buy a second hand car from a proper dealer (we got ours from electricautos.ie) , battery health is usually provided - ours was 98% (3 year old) last year, and not noticed a degradation in range after driving 16,000 km with it. At this point it is well proven by experience that there is no major issue with battery degradation on Zoes. Renault replaces battery if health go under a specific percentage (75 or 80%) within 5 years, or during the lifetime is the battery is leased, but I've never heard of anyone having to change the battery in the community.

Thanks again. Good to hear no major heating or cooling issues. 98% battery after 3 years seems very good. Must have been well looked after.

Can you see the battery % on the dash or do you have to use an app on a phone and a dongle? (I presume the guess o meter of range is indeed a guess o meter in the Zoe too)

Yeah, I think I’ll stay away from battery lease.

Gom in ze4.0 is unfailingly accurate cant imagine the 22 is any different.

Gom in ze4.0 is unfailingly accurate cant imagine the 22 is any different.

Good to hear!

If the choice was between a 132/141 Gen 1.5 leaf or a 151 Zoe, which would offer the best range?

Zoë would almost certainty still have better range,charging is the thing,CCS v chademo.
    Zoë will pull 22kw at public charger
    Don't forget charging at home leaf prob only has a 3.3 6.6=is rare ,se Leaf threads charger Zoë will charge at 7 at home.

Zoë would almost certainty still have better range,charging is the thing,CCS v chademo.
    Zoë will pull 22kw at public charger
    Don't forget charging at home leaf prob only has a 3.3 6.6=is rare ,se Leaf threads charger Zoë will charge at 7 at home.

Yeah, the Zoe charging is very good in fairness.

I’m nearly sold on the Zoe, just not sure on the looks of the Zoe - looks very ‘dinky’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yeah, the Zoe charging is very good in fairness.

I’m nearly sold on the Zoe, just not sure on the looks of the Zoe - looks very ‘dinky’

I'd suggest driving one

And I'd suggest parking it next to a leaf,its way bigger than you'd think

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

There’s actually lots of room for 4 adults in a Zoe. Try one out. Renault we’re giving 24hr tests drives as well I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭boarduser01

If the choice was between a 132/141 Gen 1.5 leaf or a 151 Zoe, which would offer the best range?

With that choice I would definitely go with the Zoe. But my other half would choose the Leaf!

We had both for a year, the leaf definitely had less range than the 22kw Zoe, and on longer journeys (uk and Ireland trips) the Zoe is easier.

We subsequently changed to a 40kw Zoe, keeping the leaf. We chose not to go with the 40kw Leaf due to slow charging on the 22kw chargers in towns around Ireland, increased journey times in rural Ireland.

The leaf is a smoother drive, and more room in the back seat for a third adult. Boot space is about the same, infact easier to get wheelchair in Zoe than Leaf, but leaf is longer if transporting DIY gear rather than people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

charlieIRL wrote: »
    There’s actually lots of room for 4 adults in a Zoe. Try one out. Renault we’re giving 24hr tests drives as well I think.

Would you get 3 across the back for a short journey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

With that choice I would definitely go with the Zoe. But my other half would choose the Leaf!

We had both for a year, the leaf definitely had less range than the 22kw Zoe, and on longer journeys (uk and Ireland trips) the Zoe is easier.

We subsequently changed to a 40kw Zoe, keeping the leaf. We chose not to go with the 40kw Leaf due to slow charging on the 22kw chargers in towns around Ireland, increased journey times in rural Ireland.

The leaf is a smoother drive, and more room in the back seat for a third adult. Boot space is about the same, infact easier to get wheelchair in Zoe than Leaf, but leaf is longer if transporting DIY gear rather than people.

Why more room for the wheel chair. More vertical space?

Just to give a sense of scale
    Wheelbase if a Zoë is bigger than a range rover classic ,they are far bigger than they look

Park one beside a Renault Captur and you will see they are similar size and height but it looks like a supermini.
    Still has the aerodynamics of a brick which doesn't help above 100kmph

Wheelbase if a Zoë is bigger than a range rover classic ,they are far bigger than they look

Good point. Just checked and the wheelbase of the Zoe is a bit smaller than a Golf. Which is of course a small family hatch (C-segment). Most people would have placed the Zoe in the supermini class, but it is bigger than that. Still, neither car is suitable for more than 4 adults, unless they are tiny.

Zoe new tyres ,thoughts ?,
    Ain't no way it's getting those dopey Michel ev yokes again.
    I'm thinking falken sn110.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Zoe new tyres ,thoughts ?,
    Ain't no way it's getting those dopey Michel ev yokes again.
    I'm thinking falken sn110.......

I just went with Avon Zv7? My mechanic suggested them and I saved £200. The original Renault tyres showed cracking on the outside walls. Maybe range may be slightly reduced due to more grip, but in winter not a bad thing.

16" wheels ,Avon not available in my size a@91 load rating, presumably your car is on 15" steels ?

195/55/R16

• Advertisement

reboot wrote: »
    195/55/R16

Best check your load rating reboot the 16" tyres are supposed to be 91 load rating,88 for the 15s and 17s,in reality 87 is probably absolutely fine ,but not "correct"

Best check your load rating reboot the 16" tyres are supposed to be 91 load rating,88 for the 15s and 17s,in reality 87 is probably absolutely fine ,but not "correct"

Thanks for advice on load bearing,good safety point.Been driving on them 6 months,so far no problems.

I already greatly reduced the load in Zoe, when she arrived by removing the back of the rear seats, weighs a lot with seat anchors.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

Hey guys, I'm considering buying the latest Renault Zoe 50 electric. The sub 30k price, 22 KW AC charging option, larger boot space and long distance driving range sound pretty decent.

Has anyone here bought it? Any feedback about the Zoe electrics in general would be much appreciated :)

It seems very expensive to me when you can get a much longer range, bigger, faster, better specced, faster charging, longer warranty one year old Kona 64kWh for around the same money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

unkel wrote: »
    It seems very expensive to me when you can get a much longer range, bigger, faster, better specced, faster charging, longer warranty one year old Kona 64kWh for around the same money

For context that poster will be using public transport for work commute and an EV for weekend camping trips.

From experience of camping and day tripping to remote locations I'd recommend 22kW AC on-board charging.

• Advertisement

What is the story with battery lease and battery lease buyout at the moment.
    I know someone looking to change doing very low miles and a used 22kwh Zoe would be a good fit for them especially as they have a car port where they could charge it via the granny cable maybe one a week.
    Can the lease be downscaled to 5000km or 7500km per year to save costs?

This person resents paying high motor tax for their current car which they barely use.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

What is the story with battery lease and battery lease buyout at the moment.
    I know someone looking to change doing very low miles and a used 22kwh Zoe would be a good fit for them especially as they have a car port where they could charge it via the granny cable maybe one a week.
    Can the lease be downscaled to 5000km or 7500km per year to save costs?

This person resents paying high motor tax for their current car which they barely use.

Where is the person based? The answer could very much be country specific.

the Midlands

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

the Midlands

Of which country :D, could be Birmingham or Athlone.

nearer Athlone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭ei9go

Lights on the 22 and 40 kW are awful. Had both They use a strange arrangement of one H7 bulb and a moving reflector to get dim and high beam. Heating is not that good and doesn't work at all in eco mode. All sorted on the ze50.

I put uprated Halogens in mine and just replaced one of them after it blew on Sunday. They are easier to change than some other renault light bulbs but not as easy as the Mk 3 megane where the entire light can be removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭ei9go

I put uprated Halogens in mine and just replaced one of them after it blew on Sunday. They are easier to change than some other renault light bulbs but not as easy as the Mk 3 megane where the entire light can be removed.

I put Nightbreakers in mine. Still not worth a slap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭fluke

Thinking about buying a second hand Zoe...2017 up. We need a good family car and ideally one that will fit two car seats and an additional person in the back seat. We are thinking to buy second hand as new is a fair investment. the zoe car seems like it is a good mid-price car with decent range and performance. That said, I haven't a clue about electric cars.... Another option might be the Ioniq, but that seems to be a bit pricier and potentially not as reliable. Be great to get some pointers.

No. won't fit.

2nd complete set of tyres due at 43k,barely legal,18k out of the 1st day Michelin's,25 from the falkens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭glen123

Looking at 2016 Zoe with very low mileage.

Are they generally reliable enough? As reliable as Leaf, for example? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭glen123

Thanks. Is there any way of checking the battery? Or there is no point if car has only 25k km on it?

Is there a report of some sort that seller can show me using the app?

Is 9.5k eur a reasonable ask for 2016 Zoe Expression with low mileage , two cables, etc?

What would be the average range it should manage if driven mostly at 70-80km ph?

Sorry about all the questions but there is a lot of info on Leafs on boards forum and very little on Zoes. Any help is much appreciated.

Yes but pointless.

Nope native app isn't very featureful

Try 9k

Ze 4.0 does 280k minimum driving the wheels off it.

Small battery driving easy ,I'd expect 160k easily and reliably.

• Advertisement
Advertisement