Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Lee : 10 years on

Options
  • 02-10-2019 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I wonder would George be Taoiseach now if he hadn't run back to RTE after a few months in the dail ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I wonder would George be Taoiseach now if he hadn't run back to RTE after a few months in the dail ?

No because it’d be too much like hard work when he realized how cushy and safe he had it in RTE. I think he thought all he had to do was stick on his “I’m George Lee badge” and the country would run itself with him as self appointed leader

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

road_high wrote: »
    I think he thought all he had to do was stick on his “I’m George Lee badge” and the country would run itself with him as self appointed leader

Well, it's working for him now with the alarmist green propaganda he's been peddling for the last year. He has the country scurrying for cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,532 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Christ, even by the low standards of around here this is a dumb thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I think he would of fitted into government perfectly, going by the way he's been spewing pure hype and ****e all week about a storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

I think he would of fitted into government perfectly, going by the way he's been spewing pure hype and ****e all week about a storm.

Would of, could of, should of...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

He's now an expert meteorologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

He's now an expert meteorologist.

this is the guy who said we had to be careful because storm lorenzo will come up the west coast and turn right-instead of east :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

I remember this clip on the news after he got elected. He was riding a Segway past a group of supporters and gave them a high five while moving. He had a helmet on. I laughed and laughed. It's been years and I've never seen it since. RTE are covering it up. But it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I remember this clip on the news after he got elected. He was riding a Segway past a group of supporters and gave them a high five while moving. He had a helmet on. I laughed and laughed. It's been years and I've never seen it since. RTE are covering it up. But it happened.

How? :confused:

Boggles wrote: »
    How? :confused:

The clip is impossible to find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

whatever about becoming a minister, he wouldn't have had a chance of becoming Taoiseach because he's not true FG, in the same way Stephen Donnelly isn't likely to become FF leader - he's an outsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Did you create a new account just to start this thread?

The clip is impossible to find.

Well it's hardly of grand historical importance is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Well it's hardly of grand historical importance is it?

he's on a segway in this clip

maccored wrote: »
    he's on a segway in this clip

Yes.

But the user is on about a specific clip with absolutely no importance that RTE have buried for some reason.

tinfoilhat.jpeg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

It was an interesting time. It was so obvious that the political system was broken that outsiders could credibly present themselves as a valid alternative to business as usual and people who wouldn't have gone near politics normally felt a duty to step in. The parallell with Donnelly is an interesting one.

I thought it was funny how George Lee thought he had answers and a platform that meant FG would have pay heed to them. In fact they just wanted his (then high) profile to be associated with the party and clearly Noonan wasn't going to let anyone else make the important decisions. It seemed like no time at all before George was back in RTE presenting donkey shows or whatever. Fair play to him for giving it a try at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Just imagine. If we had run the auction for the second mobile phone licence differently, Michael Lowry would probably be Taoiseach right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I don't think he was Taoseach material. Could have been a good finance minister though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Yes.

But the user is on about a specific clip with absolutely no importance that RTE have buried for some reason.

tinfoilhat.jpeg.

indeed - they must really be hiding it (that was sarcasm ;-) ):

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_georgeleemindyourbusiness.xml

" .....George flies around the IFSC in Dublin on a Segway ...."

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

He waded into the blueshirts thinking he was going to be the big kahuna didn't he!

Then when Noonan reminded him he was only a minor little blueshirt with no clout, he threw his dummy out of the pram and went crying back to Montrose with his tail between his legs.

He was never going to be anything but a publicity campaign, poor chap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd say he'd have never got very far and is now having a whale saving of a time as the Arrrtayaaay environment correspondent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭antimatterx

David McWilliams would make a Fine politician I think, I'm suprised he hasn't been an advisor to some Td

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

David McWilliams would make a Fine politician I think, I'm suprised he hasn't been an advisor to some Td

Taking other people's ideas and repackaging them in idiot-friendly terms (like his "Wonderbra effect" demonstrated on TV by a buxom woman in negligee pushing her boobs together) - He'd be perfect!

maccored wrote: »
    indeed - they must really be hiding it (that was sarcasm ;-) ):

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_georgeleemindyourbusiness.xml

" .....George flies around the IFSC in Dublin on a Segway ...."

An empty xml file? See, I was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Didn't he leave because they wouldn't implement his plans which included slashing corporation tax and leaving the Euro.

Whatever the merits of these ideas, they are so far out of kilter with FG policy that you can't really blame them for telling him No.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Any video clips of his recent storm scaremongering please?

Word is they were good.

Didn't he leave because they wouldn't implement his plans which included slashing corporation tax and leaving the Euro.

Interesting; that's the first I heard. I heard somewhere that Richard Bruton wasn't allowing him to muscle in. Lee doesn't seem to have been very forthcoming about why exactly he threw in the towel so quickly. The whole thing and its suddenness is very odd.

Still, Lee was refreshingly sharp and incisive as the RTÉ economy/finance reporter. At a time of shockingly benighted group think, he kept his distance much more than the wide array of "soft landing" merchants that passed as media "experts" in finance/the economy in 2008-2010 did. Hi Shane "Seán Fitzpatrick and Michael Fingleton are 'superstars'" Ross, Austin Hughes, Jim Power, Dan McLoughlin, and all the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭fiveleavesleft

eh? he was one night & his advise ruined us :D:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,082 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Taking other people's ideas and repackaging them in idiot-friendly terms (like his "Wonderbra effect" demonstrated on TV by a buxom woman in negligee pushing her boobs together) - He'd be perfect!

Pics or GTFO

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement
Advertisement