Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Russia, RWC pool A, Kobe, 11.15am Irish time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I just said that Murray is way better than Mcgrath so, but hey your the easily offended type.

You just moan, whats the point in watching rugby if you just moan the whole time?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gidea

This win just feels like your useless co-worker.

Does the absolute bare minimum but gets the job done

Post world cup looks daunting as we just don't have anyone near the level on Sexton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

reg114 wrote: »
    ah i got excited u know what i mean
    Well, I think I do, but England let USA in for a try and the win margin was pretty much the same. I'm not happy with the performance here today, but the handling errors can at least be put down to the conditions to some extent. You just don't normally see players dropping the ball like that with such regularity. And it's not just me saying it, Owen Farrell tod his dad that it would be a factor apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Don't know why Marmion was left at home.
    McGrath is very poor.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Sanjuro wrote: »
    35-0! What a scoreline!

Against a bunch of amateurs, it was a brutal performance.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

individual errors and handling in these conditions really holding us back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

I heard the words "Bundee Aki knockes it forward" so many times I was beginning to think it was one of those new fangled rap songs....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Bundee and Pom will be very under pressure to keep their places in the team.

McGrath and Kleyn over marmion and toner was the wrong decision.

Hope Sexton isn’t serious.

Most people will complain but I am happy

Sexton got good run out....got over the Japan game....

Carty got some sort of confidence towards the end fo game.....

Ruddock has to start going forward, he is a beast.....

Negatives....is Nordi gone? Carbery not getting any mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

There were, 1 before half time at about 32 minutes and the second for the high tackle in the second half.

I meant that there weren't two at the same time - first one happened, we scored a try, then at 51 minutes there was another yellow and our fallow period began.

Original comment by the poster was "25 mins between scores against 14 man Russia....ugh."

They were only at 14 men for 10 minutes of that 25 minute period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

clsmooth wrote: »
    England USA? 45-7 win for England. 38 point win margin.

USA are a far better side than Russia

To put this in context Russia were comfortably beaten by last season's 4th place team in England's second division in the middle of their pre-season, in a warm up game - in Moscow. Ditto Connacht B

they got hockeyed 85-15 by Italy.

In other words they're absolutely hopeless.

Any team with any ambitions to win this tournament should be pasting these by at least 60 points. Very worrying stuff

That said, Ireland often thrive on being the underdog and being written off, and its hard not to see some reaction in a huge do or die Quarter Final game. But it really has a 2007 feel to it. This game reminded me a bit of the Namibian game that time, except Namibia can actually score!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Mission accomplished but that was tough watch:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Bonus point win and nothing conceded. Hard to blame players for handling errors given the conditions, that won't be an issue when it matters.
    Overall a good outcome aside from the injury to Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Jamie heaslip is pissed.
    Never too early to have a few

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Connacht put up a bigger score v these 3 weeks ago. Awful stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

is_that_so wrote: »
    And we're guaranteed a QF. Not much else to say.

Are we? Both Japan and Scotland can overtake us as it stands. Unless I'm missing something, I did pass Maths so... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Dcully wrote: »
    Against a bunch of amateurs, it was a brutal performance.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Relieved to get the job done. Nothing impressive for most of the game with the same problems hounding us now. Decision making and poor handling/execution.

All things that can be fixed though and have been before in the space of a week.

Don't know why Marmion was left at home.
    McGrath is very poor.

Im not sure what match people are watching or if they just have it in for McGrath but he had a good game....

But people have it in for him for some reason.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

New Zealand will be licking their lips in the quarters...if we get there. We are in for a hammering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

The debate is obviously over (as he isn't there and the tournament is started) but McGrath in ahead of Marmion still puzzles me.
    When you consider everyone being fit and picked /rested, surely the combination of Marmion and Carthy makes more sense as an apparent second choice combination.

Anyway, bonus point win, QF guaranteed, onwards to the next challenge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

There's no zip to our play at all. Watching Aussie rugby stream calling it as it is.

Such boring stuff but it beat the All Blacks so Joe will keep backing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

BeardySi wrote: »
    I heard the words "Bundee Aki knockes it forward" so many times I was beginning to think it was one of those new fangled rap songs....

It’s actually a new drinking game and bundee was just trying to get people to enjoy themselves more after the Japan result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭mrpdap

Brian017 wrote: »
    Are we? Both Japan and Scotland can overtake us as it stands. Unless I'm missing something, I did pass Maths so... :p

If Samoa beat us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They can't both as they have to play each other and the assumption being we will beat Samoa. We should but very sloppy stuff from Ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

jr86 wrote: »

To put this in context Russia were comfortably beaten by last season's 4th place team in England's second division in the middle of their pre-season, in a warm up game - in Moscow. Ditto Connacht B

They also only lost 30-10 to Japan on opening night.

Pre-season results don't mean anything.

Pretty sure a few sexy tries would make the players feel better and be more confident too, which can only be a good thing after the low of last week and the first 60 minutes today

Might do, but I'm definite that an injury to someone would make the team feel far worse and less confident than any extra tries would balance out. You don't gain a whole lot of confidence from beating a minor team like Russia, no matter what kind of style you do it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Very frustrating.

18 handling errors. 18 fcuking errors....against Russia. They will be very lucky to handle the ball 18 times in the QF and most of those will be 22 drop outs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

A bonus win against Samoa qualifies us and a win would get us through as well as we beat Scotland so would go ahead of them if they got to 15 on head to head

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I just don't understand how Beirne can be first man over the ball on that many occasions and be told to leave it where Russia can turn it over on their own 5m line without being told anything.

Similarly, how can you call "leave it 14" then he doesn't leave it and the ball gets turned over and it's play on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Im not sure what match people are watching or if they just have it in for McGrath but he had a good game....

But people have it in for him for some reason.....

I thought he did only ok, I was hoping for a lot better considering the opposition.
    If people said he did crap, I wouldn’t be defending him

is_that_so wrote: »
    They can't both as they have to play each other.

So? They both also have ANOTHER game before that too. We aren't through until we beat Samoa with a BP.

Edit: looks like you edited your post to cover your mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Positives for me. Garry Ringrose. Plays three matches and shows up in the highlight reel in all three. Getting to be our most important player after Sexton. Also getting everyone involved. And the bonus point of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

lleti wrote: »
    Connacht put up a bigger score v these 3 weeks ago. Awful stuff.

Very true 42 - 14 to Connacht , says it all really. Our collapse in form this year has been monumental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Most people will complain but I am happy

Sexton got good run out....got over the Japan game....

Carty got some sort of confidence towards the end fo game.....

Ruddock has to start going forward, he is a beast.....

Negatives....is Nordi gone? Carbery not getting any mins

you must be easily pleased - really dreadful stuff, unless ther is a massive improvement, ther is zero chance of winning a quater , thought as a team we were very poor , very pessimistic , we will stumble past Samoa but can see very little to be optimistic about .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

A bonus win against Samoa qualifies us and a win would get us through as well as we beat Scotland so would go ahead of them if they got to 15 on head to head

Scotland getting a TBP win with Japan getting a LBP (but no TBP) could leave us all on 15 points. If Scotland have the best points difference then they would go through top and we would lose out to Japan based on head to head.

Pretty unlikely though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

Ireland are absolutely woeful to watch historically (even when winning).

That was dross today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

MJohnston wrote: »
    So? They both also have ANOTHER game before that too. We aren't through until we beat Samoa with a BP.

Edit: looks like you edited your post to cover your mistake.
    Nah, no mistake! You rushed up offside! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Sanjuro wrote: »
    35-0! What a scoreline!

Lol you think that's good? Bookies had Ireland as 54 point favourites on the handicap. This isn't an impressive scoreline at all, they performed well below expectations.

NZ won 63-0 yesterday with their 2nd stringers.

Normally this result wouldn't be concerning but after losing to Japan they should have been primed to light up an inferior team. Instead they lacked energy, were sloppy, uncreative. Way too many knock ons. Dropped a sure try (as did NZ 3 times yesterday, the ball seems to be very slippy)

You wouldn't have even known they had that man advantage for 20 minutes.

• Advertisement

jr86 wrote: »

Any team with any ambitions to win this tournament should be pasting these by at least 60 points. Very worrying stuff

That said, Ireland often thrive on being the underdog and being written off, and its hard not to see some reaction in a huge do or die Quarter Final game. But it really has a 2007 feel to it. This game reminded me a bit of the Namibian game that time, except Namibia can actually score!

USA beat Russia 62 - 13 last year. So much better than Russia alright but.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Ireland win the last game without a bonus point, they get to 15
    Scotland get a win with bonus point, they are 15. Japan win their next game with a bonus point and get a losing bonus point against Scotland, they get to 15. Down to points difference, we could be going home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Lol you think that's good? Bookies had Ireland as 54 point favourites on the handicap. This isn't an impressive scoreline at all, they performed well below expectations.

Normally this result wouldn't be concerning but after losing to Japan they should have been primed to light up an inferior team. Instead they lacked energy, were sloppy, uncreative. Way too many knock ons. Dropped a sure try (as did NZ 3 times yesterday, the ball seems to be very slippy)

you lads all need your sarcasm detectors retuned

What in the name of jaysus is Kleyn offering to the squad. So far, he's done absolutely nothing to justify his inclusion.

Dude... https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111414406&postcount=521

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Can be pragmatic all you like but the signs are not good. This team is going to need to do some turnaround to win a quarter final.

Why oh why do we struggle with world cups!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Eddie O'Sullivan telling it like it is.

He did everything except call us sh1t.

And he's right.

You can't polish a turd.

I love the way he stopped the presenter when he said, " moving quickly on.."

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Japan will beat scotland. Its insulting to the japanese to dismiss them after what they did to Ireland and given the fact they will enjoy massive home support against a shocking scotland team. We will finish second in the group and play the All Blacks ..and be on the first plane home. Sorry folks we are simply going through the inevitable motions of another failed world cup campaign. For ireland to beat the All blacks in the world cup based on our recent form would constitute one of the greatest comebacks in the history of rugby, its simply not going to happen.

• Site Banned Posts: 127 ✭✭whatcanidonow

Was that the Russia b team? How many of them are professionals? 35-0 doesn't seem that impressive against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

That in many ways was worse than the Japan performance. The strongest team will now have to be picked against Samoa because some of the performances seen out there today would make Samoa think they could beat us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Let's beat Samoa first before thinking about any QF

• Advertisement
Advertisement