Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Russia, RWC pool A, Kobe, 11.15am Irish time

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

blackcard wrote: »
    Ireland win the last game without a bonus point, they get to 15
    Scotland get a win with bonus point, they are 15. Japan win their next game with a bonus point and get a losing bonus point against Scotland, they get to 15. Down to points difference, we could be going home

Is it not head to head ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Sanjuro wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Easy to say that now 🌝

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Look.

Everyone is bemoaning the fact Ireland did not put in an all star glittering 60+ points up on the lowest ranking team in the tournament and how bad it was to watch.

Can I remind everyone that has always been the case. Even in football they labor against minnows.

When have Ireland ever gone out in a competitive game and trashed minnows in rugby or football? Never.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

reg114 wrote: »
    Japan will beat scotland. Its insulting to the japanese to dismiss them after what they did to Ireland and given the fact they will enjoy massive home support against a shocking scotland team.

There is very little point discussing what happens if Japan win as its obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

gucci wrote: »
    The debate is obviously over (as he isn't there and the tournament is started) but McGrath in ahead of Marmion still puzzles me.
    When you consider everyone being fit and picked /rested, surely the combination of Marmion and Carthy makes more sense as an apparent second choice combination.

Anyway, bonus point win, QF guaranteed, onwards to the next challenge.

Not Guaranteed actually. If scotland take a winning bonus from Russia and then Japan beat Scotland 5 trys to 4 and we get nothing next week then we go home. In fact if Samoa lose to japan by less than 7 and score 4 trys in the process, and get 4 trys against us we wouldn't even automatically qualify for the next tournament

kilns wrote: »
    That in many ways was worse than the Japan performance. The strongest team will now have to be picked against Samoa because some of the performances seen out there today would make Samoa think they could beat us.

Samoa beat Russia 34-9 when Russia were coming off a 4 day rest between games.

So not really, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Interesting stats here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

New Zealand will be licking their lips in the quarters...if we get there. We are in for a hammering.

They probably thought that in Dublin a few years back after Australia gave us a hammering the week before.

I'd be fairly confident we will turn up in a match against the All-Blacks were we are underdogs. Not saying we will win, but we will give them a tough match for sure.

• Site Banned Posts: 127 ✭✭whatcanidonow

Look.

Everyone is bemoaning the fact Ireland did not put in an all star glittering 60+ points up on the lowest ranking team in the tournament and how bad it was to watch.

Can I remind everyone that has always been the case. Even in football they labor against minnows.

When have Ireland ever gone out in a competitive game and trashed minnows in rugby or football? Never.

Didn't we beat Russia by 50 points in 2011?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

ebbsy wrote: »
    Is it not head to head ?

if all 3 are on 15 then points difference for 1st place

if Scotland are first that would leave us and japan and we'd lose as its head to head first

if Japan is 1st then we'd beat Scotland to second place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

A few things that has come out of the game is that

Kleyn is no better than Toner and should not have gone

McGrath is not as good as Marmion

if Henshaw is fit Aki is under pressure

Ruddock has to start at 6 going forward

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    Not Guaranteed actually. If scotland take a winning bonus from Russia and then Japan beat Scotland 5 trys to 4 and we get nothing next week then we go home. In fact if Samoa lose to japan by less than 7 and score 4 trys in the process, and get 4 trys against us we wouldn't even automatically qualify for the next tournament

Ireland "getting nothing" against Samoa isn't really a scenario worth wasting any time on.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Samoa beat Russia 34-9 when Russia were coming off a 4 day rest between games.

So not really, no.

We played Russia b and struggled to rip them apart. These are amateurs no?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Deaf student

Ireland played well in 1st half better than 2nd half. They were bad at times re sloppy passes and catches. Aki especially.

They huffed and puffed during 2nd half and couldn't finish it like they did in 1st half. Ruddock played well. POM not great. Stander was OK. Surprised to see sexton taken off at HT any explanation for that?
    Ireland couldnt finish it off clinically like AB did to Canada. Its dire especially playing against Russia who played 4 days ago with 9 changes. My expectation re ireland reaching SF is v low as I can't see them beating AB or boks.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Interesting stats here.

Shows how predictable we are. You don't need to tackle our ball carriers sometimes - they'll tackle you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

NIMAN wrote: »
    Eddie O'Sullivan telling it like it is.

He did everything except call us sh1t.

And he's right.

You can't polish a turd.

I love the way he stopped the presenter when he said, " moving quickly on.."

Daire O'Brien is a tool. And I don't think many people know about his carry on years ago in the bookies. Just google his name + bookies.

Interesting stats here.

We made it easy for them to tackle us?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

ebbsy wrote: »
    Is it not head to head ?

Not if 3 teams end up the same points

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

lleti wrote: »
    Daire O'Brien is a tool. And I don't think many people know about his carry on years ago in the bookies. Just google his name + bookies.

Oh i heard that bookies story alright, amazed he still has a job at all .. doesnt come across as a pleasant character on or off tv

• Advertisement

We played Russia b and struggled to rip them apart. These are amateurs no?

I'm not as big an expert as you on Russian rugby, so I guess I'll have to take your word for it that Russia for some reason played their B team after a 9 day rest.

They are not technically amateurs no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

blackcard wrote: »
    Ireland win the last game without a bonus point, they get to 15
    Scotland get a win with bonus point, they are 15. Japan win their next game with a bonus point and get a losing bonus point against Scotland, they get to 15. Down to points difference, we could be going home

it isn't points difference first. Ireland beat Scotland and would go through on the head to head I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

lleti wrote: »
    Connacht put up a bigger score v these 3 weeks ago. Awful stuff.

Mainly a Connacht second string too.....

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ireland played well in 1st half better than 2nd half. They were bad at times re sloppy passes and catches. Aki especially.

They huffed and puffed during 2nd half and couldn't finish it like they did in 1st half. Ruddock played well. POM not great. Stander was OK. Surprised to see sexton taken off at HT any explanation for that?
    Ireland couldnt finish it off clinically like AB did to Canada. Its dire especially playing against Russia who played 4 days ago with 9 changes. My expectation re ireland reaching SF is v low as I can't see them beating AB or boks.

Russia played 9 days ago.

Scotland have a short turnaround between their match with Russia and the match with Japan because hosts were allowed pick order of fixtures. They have imo taken it a step beyond

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Eddie O calling it as it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not bothered with this any more.

We have been found out and will be going home soon. Don't even think we will get out of the group.

We are absolute rubbish. Sad but true.

We don't deserve to get out of this group anyway.

• Advertisement

I'm not as big an expert as you on Russian rugby, so I guess I'll have to take your word for it that Russia for some reason played their B team after a 9 day rest.

They are not technically amateurs no.

Did they not make loads of changes? Their main kicker wasn't even in the squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Terrible stuff. Stupid mistakes all the time. Am looking forward to Japan v Scotland. England did us psychological damage in 6 Nations and i feel Japan have done the same.

Look.

I don't seen the relevance of the form of the Irish football team

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Kleyn according to ESPN

4 carries for 0m
    6 tackles and 1 missed

Shows how predictable we are. You don't need to tackle our ball carriers sometimes - they'll tackle you.
    Yeah, that's one side of the stats alright and the first thing that occurred to me. But that they made 182 and were still tackling at the end must mean improvement on their part. Or at least that's another thing I took from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

bobbyss wrote: »
    Terrible stuff. Stupid mistakes all the time. Am looking forward to Japan v Scotland. England did us psychological damage in 6 Nations and i feel Japan have done the same.

Also, we brought the wrong players

Plus, squad have been on downward spiral since Joe announced departure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Not bothered with this any more.

We have been found out and will be going home soon. Don't even think we will get out of the group.

We are absolute rubbish. Sad but true.

We don't deserve to get out of this group anyway.

Don't let the door hit you mate. Cheerio

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Interesting stats here.

Jaysus typical Joeball stats.

Top tackler records versus Ireland -

Charteris - 31
    Grey - 28
    Guilhem Guirado - 31
    Italy last year

Constant one out runners bashing away draining the energy of the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

jacothelad wrote: »
    it isn't points difference first. Ireland beat Scotland and would go through on the head to head I think.

Not if all 3 had 15 points. Ire beat Scotland, Scotland beat Japan, Japan beat Ire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

jacothelad wrote: »

not if all 3 are on 15 points as he asked

Also, we brought the wrong players

Plus, squad have been on downward spiral since Joe announced departure
    I'm struggling to come up with other players we could have brought other than perhaps Marmion and Toner.

Did they not make loads of changes? Their main kicker wasn't even in the squad?

Yeah, to be fair they did make a lot of changes. I have no idea what that means in terms of their team though.

The performance wasn't particularly good obviously. But Russia have been surprisingly tough to play in this tournament and the conditions seem to be a bit of a leveller as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It was 35 - nil in tournament rugby.

As Sexton said, teams like that are very very hard to play. They are always dangerous and despite that we kept them comfortably to a duck egg.

Not a fully formed thing by any means, but Irish rugby is alive and kicking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think we’ll beat Samoa without the BP, limp on to the quarters and then home. Hope I’m wrong and we find a bit of inspiration somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

thebaz wrote: »
    you must be easily pleased - really dreadful stuff, unless ther is a massive improvement, ther is zero chance of winning a quater , thought as a team we were very poor , very pessimistic , we will stumble past Samoa but can see very little to be optimistic about .

Who gives a s**t about a group match against Russia, we needed 5 points, we got 5 points.....end of story

Move on and get to next match....

All that matters is Ireland get out of group.....the only performance worth talking about is in the Qtr's.....

Playing great in the group like we have done before means f**k all at the end of the day when we get knocked out in Qtr's

• Advertisement

Yeah, to be fair they did make a lot of changes. I have no idea what that means in terms of their team though.

Ah yeah. No matter what team they selected though, we should have been beating them by 50+. I think everyone is agreed on that.

Scotland kept trying to go wide without going through the middle first. You need to manipulate defences first before going wide. These one out runners have a purpose. EOS bemused why we didn't just whip it out and score tries.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Deaf student

Weepsie wrote: »
    Russia played 9 days ago.

Scotland have a short turnaround between their match with Russia and the match with Japan because hosts were allowed pick order of fixtures. They have imo taken it a step beyond
    You right re 9 days ago. My mistake & thanks for correction.

Ah yeah. No matter what team they selected though, we should have been beating them by 50+. I think everyone is agreed on that.

I would have expected Japan to beat them by a lot more than 20 as well. And for Samoa to beat them by more considering they were playing a game 4 days after looking visibly shattered for 20 min against Japan. But neither of those things happened so I dunno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Don't let the door hit you mate. Cheerio

Are you seriously arguing we are are NOT a rubbish pub team?

Get them on the plane back TODAY. We don't need further embarrassment.

You're dismissed.

:)

Assuming both Japan and Scotland get maximum points from their next game, we go into the final weekend:

Japan 14
    Ireland 11
    Scotland 10

We are most certainly not through.

A win of any kind against Samoa will be enough though.

A win of any kind wins us the group if Japan lose with no BP
    A win with BP wins us the group if Japan lose with no more than 1 BP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

MJohnston wrote: »
    Who cares what it makes me feel? I'm not a member of the squad who is actually playing. What they care about is saving their energy and bodies for that quarter final. Secure the bonus points and the win, and then take your foot off the gas. To do otherwise is a terrible tactic in a knockout game.

Come off it, that wasn't tactics. They didnt take their foot off the gas, they struggled. Even with a man advantage. If they were trying to save their bodies that was a peculiar way to do it, holding the ball and grinding instead of using their speed advantage they butted heads with the Russians. Did nothing at all the whole second half until the very end getting 2 tries when Russia were tired.

If they play New Zealand in the quarter, forget it. You'll hear all about how they beat them before and blah blah blah but that will be a distant memory at halftime. I hope they make the quarter because New Zealand will have revenge in the back of their minds I'll have the house on them, it won't be a meaningless friendly and the result won't be friendly either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Assuming both Japan and Scotland get maximum points from their next game, we go into the final weekend:

Japan 14
    Ireland 11
    Scotland 10

We are most certainly not through.

A win of any kind against Samoa will be enough though.

A win of any kind wins us the group if Japan lose with no BP
    A win with BP wins us the group if Japan lose with no more than 1 BP

You've contradicted this sentence with your last two sentences...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Come off it, that wasn't tactics.

That's your opinion, I have mine. We'll never really know.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

It was 35 - nil in tournament rugby.

As Sexton said, teams like that are very very hard to play. They are always dangerous and despite that we kept them comfortably to a duck egg.

Not a fully formed thing by any means, but Irish rugby is alive and kicking.

Russia only qualified due to Spain, Belgium & Romania ALL being disqualified....so they didn't find them too hard to play against.

Advertisement