Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Russia, RWC pool A, Kobe, 11.15am Irish time

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ref should have let that go and then get the TMO to check

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

had to stop watching on RTE player as it was constantly buffering and was so far behind real time.

watching now on a pirate site... better quality and closer to real time, no buffering

non sensical

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭fitz

Ruddock really staking a claim here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Are Ireland the most overrated rugby team ever?

This performance is making a joke of their pre-tournament ranking.

Slow, predictable, nervous, lacking in imagination. This is truly shocking.

well no - 2018 had them rightly as one of the best performing sides of that year

2019 has been dogshoite though - Ireland have been figured out for the one dimensional rugby that they play

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Are Ireland the most overrated ever?

This performance is making a joke of their pre-tournament ranking.

Slow, predictable, nervous, lacking in imagination. This is truly shocking.

What are people expecting with a second string side playing indoors in a slippy, hot and humid environment? You’re still playing against 15 big men. Usually the better teams pull away in the second half of these type of games. If it’s like this at 80mins I’ll agree with you, but let the game unfold. It’s not the conditions for offloading or throwing skips passes. It’s not impressive so far, but it was never going to be champagne rugby. Expectations are what are out of sync here.

• Advertisement

Was that a forearm fend off?

;)

Jaysus it was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Normal service resumed, batter yer way over..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

ref felt sorry for us ponderously trying to score so carded the Russian player....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I find it slightly annoying that Sexton approaches the kick twice.

What's the point of standing way off his final position and nodding at the posts?

I don't mind him settling himself when in the kicking position, but surely the first one has no effect on anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Annoying for me is, even off a break with forward momentum, we truck it up instead of finding the space out wide.

• Advertisement

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Normal service resumed, batter yer way over..

you dont get extra points for pretty offloads before a try.

Ruddock has been very good

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

clsmooth wrote: »
    What are people expecting with a second string side playing indoors in a slippy, hot and humid environment? You’re still playing against 15 big men. Usually the better teams pull away in the second half of these type of games. If it’s like this at 80mins I’ll agree with you, but let the game unfold. It’s not the conditions for offloading or throwing skips passes. It’s not impressive so far, but it was never going to be champagne rugby. Expectations are what are out of sync here.

I think people are expecting one of Rugby's heavyweights to front up and start actually playing like pro rugby players. Our seconds string should be capable of trouncing Russia blindfolded regardless of the conditions. Yes we might pull away in the second half but that will not disguise some of the shocking play we have experienced from Ireland in the first.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

RTE player is driving me crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

BailMeOut wrote: »

Thanks, but not an Eir customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gidea

sydthebeat wrote: »
    had to stop watching on RTE player as it was constantly buffering and was so far behind real time.

watching now on a pirate site... better quality and closer to real time, no buffering

non sensical

Its infuriating that they want to charge a tv license fee for a house with no TV, on the off chance you might watch this dog**** steaming service on your phone.

Massive sporting event and its barely watchable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

non sensical

The RTE live player is appaling - great to see TV license money wasted on something that only seams capable or running the Adds properly - Patheitc.

What is Garces playing at with the release calls, there is nothing wrong with the competition on the ground...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Would be nice to have the BP before half time. Would take pressure off.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Toeuptony

Annoying for me is, even off a break with forward momentum, we truck it up instead of finding the space out wide.

Especially when they have an extra man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

awec wrote: »

You should email De Forbes!

you dont get extra points for pretty offloads before a try.

Maybe, but battering hasn’t worked so well against more capable teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Would be nice to have the BP before half time. Would take pressure off.

If this is too much pressure for them to handle, then I fear for this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Bundee is always good for a stupid knock on.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

'Slippy balls, wet hands' got a chuckle out of that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

That is appalling by Aki. So so poor. He'll be under pressure when Henshaw gets back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Unconvincing enough second quarter - looks like Nordi only needed to pack an overnight bag...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Really enjoyed watching that same Lucozade ad 11 times.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Maybe, but battering hasn’t worked so well against more capable teams.

humm i seem to recall us putting over 40 points on the all blacks a few years ago playing that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,731 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Russians as they were against Japan and Samoa...needed to be battered into submission. Nothing pretty on the cards here. 3 tries is not a bad return for that half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Why don't rugby players wear gloves in conditions like this morning??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Pretty awful performance really. The perfect start and have made awful hard work of things since.

All play through the forwards as usual and when the backs have had the ball we have just turned it over through poor handling. The best back move came from the Russians at one point.

Kilcoyne, beirne and the Ruddock the best for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

It's awful. Just not working at all for me. Did they not expect an increase of people trying to watch when the match is on during working hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Pretty awful performance really. The perfect start and have made awful hard work of things since.

All play through the forwards as usual and when the backs have had the ball we have just turned it over through poor handling. The best back move came from the Russians at one point.

John Ryan also playing well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Why don't rugby players wear gloves in conditions like this morning??

fairly sure that that's not allowed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

This is not an awful performance.

reg114 wrote: »
    I think people are expecting one of Rugby's heavyweights to front up and start actually playing like pro rugby players. Our seconds string should be capable of trouncing Russia blindfolded regardless of the conditions. Yes we might pull away in the second half but that will not disguise some of the shocking play we have experienced from Ireland in the first.

Yes because rugby isn’t a game where conditions can hugely affect what players can do with the ball. By all accounts it’s hugely slippy and humid under the roof. Players are slipping all over the place on the pitch. Can only imagine how difficult it is to handle the ball. It’s a no win situation for Ireland. Conditions are a leveller.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭fitz

Some of the overreaction here is nuts. Clearly slippy as a steam room in that stadium, they're sticking with low risk passing. Russia a throwing everything they have at us, and Garces is his usual inconsistent self at the breakdown. We're 3 tries ahead.

Russia won't last this pace. I'm expecting the game to open up a bit, and for us to double our score in the second half.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

have a look at reddit to get more reliable viewing platforms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Great service from something we have no choice but to pay for. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

fitz wrote: »
    Some of the overreaction here is nuts. Clearly slippy as a steam room in that stadium, they're sticking with low risk passing. Russia a throwing everything they have at us, and Garces is his usual inconsistent self at the breakdown. We're 3 tries ahead.

Russia won't last this pace. I'm expecting the game to open up a bit, and for us to double our score in the second half.

Crazy amount of negativity

humm i seem to recall us putting over 40 points on the all blacks a few years ago playing that way.

How long did we go against the Japan banging away? With no change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

3c97nl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Not only one. Malachy Clerkin tweeted complaining about it and he was sitting in RTE canteen using RTE wifi trying to watch game on it

Not a polished performance so far very workmanlike. Hopefully can put on a few more scores now in second half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

fitz wrote: »

i'd like to think we could beat Russia without waiting for them to get tired?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

Wheety wrote: »
    Thanks, but not an Eir customer.

If you're a Sky customer, use Sky Go - it's perfect!

Ireland are struggling to play any structured game. Conditions be damned, they are playing exactly the game which Russia can bite into
    They may be looking to wear the Russians down but pass after pass to static 1st receiver, from a ruck, is not the way to do it.

while not a perfect performance, id say that half is just about acceptable.

3 tries, none conceded.
    One injury which isnt ideal, but hopefully not serious, though i suspect a broken rib.

Some strikes plays are working.

3 different tries off three different methods of play..... a strike play on an inside run, a off the cuff grubber through and a forward power based push over.

GreeBo wrote: »
    i'd like to think we could beat Russia without waiting for them to get tired?

We are beating them :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭chancer12

• Advertisement
Advertisement