Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling's popularity affecting golfing numbers?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Caddy cart

Golf is not really 4 hours walking. Half the time u r waiting on greens and tee boxes.longest walk without stopping would b about 250 yards. Stay away from golf if u think it it is going to help your fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Caddy cart wrote: »
    Golf is not really 4 hours walking. Half the time u r waiting on greens and tee boxes.longest walk without stopping would b about 250 yards. Stay away from golf if u think it it is going to help your fitness.

I think a few 80 year olds would disagree with you .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I wouldn't want to rely on golf four fitness, it is rather sedate after all, but you are out for 4 hours in the fresh air and depending on course you'd walk anything between say 12 to 17 kilometres. It's not going to get you fit, but then that's a relative term. I've seen people come from couch potatoe/zero to golf and they were struggling to make 18 holes. Its not nothing. It certainly isn't bad for your fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

The intention of the thread (which was cut off the Hollystown thread) was not to turn it into a debate about which was better or to start a slagging match!
    I was merely pointing to an article that I read that said cycling popularity was impacting golf.
    It wasn't to compare the 2 activities, or which is better. Different strokes for different folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

They're obviously different, but cycling doesn't come close to offering what matchplay does, or the last few holes when you're nursing a decent score for the first time in months. Golf is much more a 'game' than it is a sport to me, which takes nothing away from it at all. Some sports offer no set piece mental exertion in the same way that golf does in almost every round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Caddy cart

Fair play to any 80 year olds walking. But fed with lads moaning about being tired after a game of golf. Anyone under 65 unless they have a injury or a disability that’s like that needs to have a look at themselves. If u have the time u should be doing some training before or after golf. Golf is a good game but u would get as much exercise playing darts for four hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Caddy cart wrote: »
    Golf is a good game but u would get as much exercise playing darts for four hours.
    1/10.
    Must try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

A friend of mine gave up golf because his wife thought he was spending too much time away from the family. So he took up cycling. He has gotten very serious into it. He cycles 3-4 evenings a week, training. Goes to the gym, training. Cycles every weekend at races, sometimes he leaves Friday evening and hes not home till sometime Sunday. Has about 4 or 5 European/world trips per year, cycling, gone for a week at a time.

When he was very serious at golf, he was gone every second Sunday for roughly 5 hours tops because he didnt go into the bar afterwards and might hit the range once a week.

His wife hasnt said a word about the cycling though. Either she just hated golf or shes worried if she says something about the cycling that he'll disappear entirely lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

GreeBo wrote: »
    1/10.
    Must try harder.

I think using your own logic you'd have to admit that it depends on how someone plays each sport. I've seen fellas zoom around the golf course in buggies and just tap the ball up the fairway. They wouldn't even need a shower after playing their round. Whereas some darts players could play speed darts, sprinting to the board and back. If you do this for a few hours you'd be getting much more exercise than golf. More efficient exercise too.

Using your own logic this makes sense. I doubt you could find many to agree with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

blue note wrote: »
    I think using your own logic you'd have to admit that it depends on how someone plays each sport. I've seen fellas zoom around the golf course in buggies and just tap the ball up the fairway. They wouldn't even need a shower after playing their round. Whereas some darts players could play speed darts, sprinting to the board and back. If you do this for a few hours you'd be getting much more exercise than gold. More efficient exercise too.

Using your own logic this makes sense. I doubt you could find many to agree with it though.

0/10
    Not worth the effort to formulate a reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

GreeBo wrote: »
    0/10
    Not worth the effort to formulate a reply

Well argued.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement