Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo

• 03-10-2019 10:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭

Seem to be picking up already... any damage/warnings to report around Limerick?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Seem to be picking up already... any damage/warnings to report around Limerick?

Angry mob stormed a bread lorry on the dock road. Avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

easypazz wrote: »
    Angry mob stormed a bread lorry on the dock road. Avoid.

Excuse me ! , we weren't angry . We were being cautious .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Much ado about nothing...so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Much ado about nothing...so far

The storm proper isn't supposed to hit until around 18:00 and its pretty blustery out there already. It'll probably get much worse as the day goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Toodles_27

Should have hung out the washing.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,272 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

isaac.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

The Media are really losing the run of themselves this evening. I know it's a storm, but we've had far worse ones, even in the West & Northwest.

George Lee looked positively orgasmic over the past couple of days. Virgin One News at Eight had reports from every town on the West coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Toodles_27

Comhra wrote: »
    The Media are really losing the run of themselves this evening. I know it's a storm, but we've had far worse ones, even in the West & Northwest.

George Lee looked positively orgasmic over the past couple of days. Virgin One News at Eight had reports from every town on the West coast.

Agree. I understand the need to err on side of caution. I understand that the public should be prepared. But the hype, hysteria and excitement from the media is just ridiculous! The limerick leader are running a “live blog on Lorenzo” on Instagram......the mind boggles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Lads it's a weather prediction which is educated guess work based on data. They're not fortune tellers! You can check out the changes in trends and weather models or the discrepancy between models over the last number of days on the weather forums Technical Discussion thread. Media will always hype everything up and erring on the side of caution isn't a bad thing. Reality is Met E can never win - if they under-react they are chastised, if they over-react they are chastised :o

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Giggsy19

Miike wrote: »
    Lads it's a weather prediction which is educated guess work based on data. They're not fortune tellers! You can check out the changes in trends and weather models or the discrepancy between models over the last number of days on the weather forums Technical Discussion thread. Media will always hype everything up and erring on the side of caution isn't a bad thing. Reality is Met E can never win - if they under-react they are chastised, if they over-react they are chastised :o

I get that its a prediction and all that but putting status warnings etc in place causes unnecessary panic. Bit of rain and wind after claiming a status orange and business and schools should close is crazy. Im sure met eireann have enough resources to be better with there educated guesses. Does this ****e happen in other countries i wonder? Our met eireann seem to like the attention!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It was the most powerful storm ever recorded in that part of the Atlantic Ocean, and it was heading straight for the mid-west of Ireland. The weather warning came into effect at 18:00, but remains in place until tomorrow morning. There's still plenty of time for it to do some damage, but you'd swear some people will be more disappointed if everything ends up being fine. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

It was the most powerful storm ever recorded in that part of the Atlantic Ocean, and it was heading straight for the mid-west of Ireland. The weather warning came into effect at 18:00, but remains in place until tomorrow morning. There's still plenty of time for it to do some damage, but you'd swear some people will be more disappointed if everything ends up being fine. :confused:

That would be me!

Well ok not really, but I wanted some bit of decent wind and rain at least! All that's outside my window is some drizzle and a flicker of wind. My farts give more wind that what's outside right now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,523 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not much debris on the road.... I think Limerick avoided the worst of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

Mr E wrote: »
    Not much debris on the road.... I think Limerick avoided the worst of it?

Good and Thank You. Sitting here having breakfast wondering how the roads were going to be.

It ramped up quite a bit at about 5am, and is a lot stormier now than it was at 10pm last night.

Glad we dodged a bullet - these things are so unpredictable - it could have been so much worse. Hopefully RTE will throw George Lee back into his cupboard for another long while. I was suffering from George Lee overload :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Comhra wrote: »

That's why I only rely on the reports from Peter at Irish Weather Online. Not sure if he still posts in the weather forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Radio mentioned power outages around the country, including Limerick.

Was quite windy overnight but seems like we avoided the brunt of it.

People saying the media going into hyperdrive on this were losing the run of themselves - they were, but Irish people talking about the weather is like clickbait to the likes of RTE so you can't really blame them. Plus, you can't fault being better safe than sorry in these situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Radio mentioned power outages around the country, including Limerick.

Was quite windy overnight but seems like we avoided the brunt of it.

People saying the media going into hyperdrive on this were losing the run of themselves - they were, but Irish people talking about the weather is like clickbait to the likes of RTE so you can't really blame them. Plus, you can't fault being better safe than sorry in these situations.

To be fair to met eireann all the models showed the storm turning east much earlier than it did. Meteorology is not an exact science and involves a lot of guess work based on computer models and satellite information. I would rather have a weather warning where nothing happens than to not have them and risk the loss of life and property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

source wrote: »
    To be fair to met eireann all the models showed the storm turning east much earlier than it did. Meteorology is not an exact science and involves a lot of guess work based on computer models and satellite information. I would rather have a weather warning where nothing happens than to not have them and risk the loss of life and property.

+1

It's a forecast not a report of what we actually got.

Some people just like to moan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,272 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Met Eireann are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

People will always complain - whether it be about the hassle of having to keep their kids at home from school unnecessarily or if they were not given sufficient warning to keep them at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭MOR316

Cannot believe no one has made reference to Lorenzo's Sausages during all of this.

That's the real storm if we're honest with ourselves

• Advertisement
Advertisement