Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

heaters not working?

Options
  • 03-10-2019 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

our heaters are not working - we moved into our house a couple days ago, and since it's cold today i turned on the heating, there is a control panel in the kitchen for that. there are 2 buttons, "heating" and "downstairs heating".

pressing the buttons does turn on the lights on the panel for that, but they don't get warm.

the house has gas heating. the boiler in the boiler room is set to both water and heating. water gets warm just fine. the heaters don't. there is a paper saying to turn the knob until you hear water flowing (which works), and then the pressure should go up to 1.5 bar. the bar gauge is at lower than 1 bar but doesn't go up when water flows. is that the reason the heaters don't warm up?

what's the problem here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Have you got any room thermostat s? Turn them up all the way, see what happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

ok so i wanted to make a post today about how i think i found a thermostat (a simple console thingy on the wall with a dial) on the top floor which seems to control the heating in the first and second floor, as they did get warm, but the ground floor heaters still were cold.

just this morning i found another thermostat - our jackets were covering it up. i turned it to 15 degrees before leaving for work, my wife is gonna check if the heaters on the ground floor get warm...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

murfilein wrote: »
    ok so i wanted to make a post today about how i think i found a thermostat (a simple thing on the wall with a dial) on the top floor which seems to control the heating in the first and second floor, as they did get warm, but the ground floor heaters still were cold.

just this morning i found another thermostat - our jackets were covering it up. i turned it to 15 degrees before leaving for work, my wife is gonna check of the heaters on the ground floor get warm...

It should work now, don't cover the thermostats with jackets from now on, it will stop the heating working properly.
    Read up on how to set the time clock and set the thermostats to a comfortable level and it should be fine.
    I'm not sure about the system pressure, you might get a plumber on here to advise.(Bleeding rads etc.)

The Mulk wrote: »
    It should work now, don't cover the thermostats with jackets from now on, it will stop the heating working properly.
    Read up on how to set the time clock and set the thermostats to a comfortable level and it should be fine.
    I'm not sure about the system pressure, you might get a plumber on here to advise.(Bleeding rads etc.)

i actually bled them myself - but there is no air in them. they directly spit out water. but i really didnt bleed them a lot, so i'll do it again.

and yeah, the pressure is still showing less than 1 bar.

Usually the air in my system is at the highest point in both zones. I don't know why the pressure isn't going up, when you open the fill valve.(I'm not a plumber sorry).
    Electrically it should work now with the control panel on and the stats set high enough to call for heat.

• Advertisement

Usually the air in my system is at the highest point in both zones. I don't know why the pressure isn't going up, when you open the fill valve.(I'm not a plumber sorry).
    Electrically it should work now with the control panel on and the stats set high enough to call for heat.

do i have to leave the valve open?

i left it open and i could hear water flowing on the boiler, and after some time the sound of the water went silent, as if its "filled".

• Registered Users Posts: 73,461 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You don’t leave it open, you watch the pressure gauge and close the valve once it reaches the correct pressure

murfilein wrote: »
    do i have to leave the valve open?

i left it open and i could hear water flowing on the boiler, and after some time the sound of the water went silent, as if its "filled".

If i need to top up my system i turn it on until the gauge is at 1.5.
    Maybe take some pics of the set up and post in the plumbing forum, you'll get better advice there, or ask some of your neighbors if they have a similar set up.

It should still work at 1 Bar pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

The pressure gauge is probably stuck

kramer1 wrote: »
    The pressure gauge is probably stuck

maybe i should try knocking on the gauge? :D
    If i need to top up my system i turn it on until the gauge is at 1.5.
    Maybe take some pics of the set up and post in the plumbing forum, you'll get better advice there, or ask some of your neighbors if they have a similar set up.

It should still work at 1 Bar pressure.

my wife just sent me a picture because i asked her to do so, and the gauge is currently at exactly 1 bar. unless the gauge is stuck/broken, i hope we're good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement