Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Find Third Room Mate

Options
  • 03-10-2019 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello,

Just wondering if any of you guys knew if there were any decent websites set up to find a third room mate to go along with two others looking for a place in Dublin?

Can you look for one here directly?

We don't have a place yet, but we think it would be easier to get a three bed instead of a two bed so wanted someone to jump in with us at this stage so we can look for a place together.

Would it be better to find a place first and then advertise on rent.ie etc for a third tenant?

Appreciate any advice,

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Daft is probably as good as any to seek a flatmate but the disadvantage is that you have to go through the advertising and interviewing process. If you can source a pal or work colleague you get on with it would be better.
    Dividing up the rent must be considered also as there is usually one ensuite bedroom.
    Who gets that and do they pay more? Who gets the one or two allocated parking spaces?
    If you take in a non Irish person they will be at home probably more often than someone from the country who disappears Friday and may not be back until Monday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Maxi937

Thanks for the advice, you raise some good points.

I was just planning on doing 40/30/30 percentage split on rent for situations where its one master and 2x other rooms, do you reckon this is fair? obviously there is room to modify this depending on mix of double/single/master bedrooms.

Do you think reckon there would be any demand from single dudes that are struggling to get places on their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Maxi937 wrote: »
    Do you think reckon there would be any demand from single dudes that are struggling to get places on their own?

For sure. I did this about 10 years ago, way before the current madness and there was plenty of interest.

Did you already lease an apartment and then filled a third room or was your situation similar to mine, in that I'm not looking to fill a third room, I am searching for a person at complete beginning stage - before securing the property?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Searching at complete beginner stage. It used to be an option on Daft.ie to team up with somebody although I can't find it now.

• Advertisement

Shame, that option would have been handy. I suppose I will just leave this thread here and anybody who is interested can PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

If you dont have any friends who you can move in with then you're probably better off just renting a 3 bed between the two of you with permission to sublet the 3rd room.

Then just get the 3rd room sublet under licensee conditions, because if you have no history with the person it might not workout and you dont want them signed into the actual lease of the property.

It might cost you a little bit at the start due to the larger deposit and initial rent until you find someone, but far less hassle than if the random person you find turns out to be a nutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mc25

Don't know where you're renting but I know that there is a facebook group for Galway of people looking for accommodation, you could find a person there before renting the place if there is an equivalent for wherever it is you are.

Advertisement