Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triton T80 shower suddenly running very hot

Options
  • 03-10-2019 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭

Normally I'd have the dial at the 8 o'clock position if you know what I mean. Today that was almost too hot to stand, and I turned it down to the minimum position, which is about 4 o'clock on the dial, and the water was still warm.

I've had to replace the wall-mounted cut-off switch twice before, when it burned out during cold weather (as in middle-of-December, zero degrees type weather). On those occasions, the symptoms were a bit different before the switch burned out. The shower would just run a bit cold for part of the time. It never got hotter than normal.

The weather hasn't been cold lately, but it was 4 degrees yesterday morning, which was a bit of a drop, so I'm thinking that the switch is about to burn out again.

What do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,100 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I've had to replace the wall-mounted cut-off switch twice before, when it burned out during cold weather (as in middle-of-December, zero degrees type weather). On those occasions, the symptoms were a bit different before the switch burned out. The shower would just run a bit cold for part of the time. It never got hotter than normal.

If you are talking about isolation switch either on the ceiling or wall outside the bathroom burning out, this is because they aren't being installed properly. Try tighten the terminals more.

The outside temperature has absolutely no effect on the isolation switch. The shower uses the same amount of power all year round. There isn't a bigger draw on electricity in the winter..

If your shower is going too hot, then that means that the water flow has slowed down. Same amount of electricity all the time so slower water flow is means water is longer passing the element. The longer the water is on the element then the hotter the water will be. This can be Irish waters fault, a blocked filter, blocked shower head, spurious shower head or a kink in the hose.

When it's time to replace the shower maybe you can look at converting mains fed into a tank fed. Tank fed has a built in pump and this delivers constant pressure and flow.

Advertisement