Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Carbon Offset

Options
  • 03-10-2019 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭

I'm due to fly to Faro this weekend and I feel that I should, in all conscience, fund a carbon offset for the flight. I can do this through Ryanair, who partner with a company called First Climate, but I would like to be satisfied that all the money would go to First Climate, without Ryanair taking a cut.

Does anyone know what the position is in this regard and whether First Climate is a good choice of company to support? There seem to be a lot of companies in this space and I would welcome any recommendations in this regard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I'll give a carbon offset fee if Ryanair match it. Don't forget that Ryanair's carbon footprint, like every other airline includes it's diesel vehicle and diesel generator fleet, it's waste oil and waste fuel output, ground running of engines and APUs as part of maintenance and the cost of heating and lighting it's offices and hangars, which are their responsibility, not yours. This is Ryanair throwing the hit onto your pocket, not theirs. Also, their claim to have the most fuel efficient engines is horse****. Newer, less polluting engines are already being operated by other airlines in Dublin and around Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭abff

Stovepipe wrote: »
    I'll give a carbon offset fee if Ryanair match it. Don't forget that Ryanair's carbon footprint, like every other airline includes it's diesel vehicle and diesel generator fleet, it's waste oil and waste fuel output, ground running of engines and APUs as part of maintenance and the cost of heating and lighting it's offices and hangars, which are their responsibility, not yours. This is Ryanair throwing the hit onto your pocket, not theirs. Also, their claim to have the most fuel efficient engines is horse****. Newer, less polluting engines are already being operated by other airlines in Dublin and around Europe.

Are Ryanair paying anything themselves to offset their carbon footprint? I can see pressure being exerted on airlines to make carbon offsets mandatory, but a lot of pushback from airlines and also from customers. Until that comes in (if it ever does) we can decide to do something ourselves on a voluntary basis.

The question is, how do we ensure that we get the best bang for our buck in terms of directing the money where it will do most good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

M O'L talks about this in recent days in this interview at about 12m40s and 48m12s or thereabouts.
    https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1178944213100236805

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

post about it.
    https://www.ontheluce.com/carbon-offsetting-flights/

It mentions Ryanair but doesn't say anything good about them.

After a quick read my opinion is fly Ryanair as they have highest load factor, modern airplanes and 200 orders/options for the most efficient new airplanes but don't use their carbon offsetting scheme and offset yourself by another means.

In the same way I don't use them for car hire I don't think they would offer the best offset solution.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Keep your money and have a glass of red and a nice steak in the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Keep the money, and buy the pilots a Lavazza..

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

I can't believe this is a thing. Unless you're jetsetting around the world non stop I have no idea why you'd even consider doing this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

A company that makes billions in profits trying to get hit the little consumer by getting you to fork over your hard earned cash by guilt tripping you.
    Fúck em. They should be funding this themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,107 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I can't believe this is a thing. Unless you're jetsetting around the world non stop I have no idea why you'd even consider doing this

KLM have been doing it for years. It's only new to Ryanair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Better off buying their scratchcards

• Advertisement
Advertisement