Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Florentines

Options
  • 03-10-2019 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭

Hi, does anyone remember Florentines?

A kind of biscuit: sort of a sticky caramelly disk, with fruits and nuts piled like jewels on one side: on the flat base, a thin layer of chocolate, which usually has a typical swirled pattern, from the prongs of a fork.

My question: what kind of fruit and nuts would you expect to see in your Florentine?
    What would you like to see? (and eat, obviously)

Many of the recipes I've looked at recommend candied peel, and almonds.
    I'm thinking of something more colourful!

What offers? Ideas please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Day Lewin wrote: »

A kind of biscuit: sort of a sticky caramelly disk, with fruits and nuts piled like jewels on one side: on the flat base, a thin layer of chocolate, which usually has a typical swirled pattern, from the prongs of a fork.

My question: what kind of fruit and nuts would you expect to see in your Florentine?

Not seen them for decades; they were a firm favourite..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Crystallised or preserved stem ginger & pistachio for me, with something red and tart - cranberry or dried sour cherry, probably. With dark chocolate.
    Very festive.
    I've been idly planning a salted caramel florentine of some kind for a while now - I think they'd be lovely for Christmas. Definitely a bastardised version anyway - pretzels would definitely feature instead of or as well as the nut element!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not seen them for decades; they were a firm favourite..

They sometimes do them in the LIDL / ALDI seasonal ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Day Lewin wrote: »

They featured as the technical challenge in the 2014 Great British Bake off - following a Mary Berry recipe. You can probably find the episode on Netflix or Youtube. The wonderful Felicity Cloake devoted her "How to cook the perfect ..." column to Florentines a few weweks later: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/oct/09/how-to-bake-perfect-florentines-recipe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

nompere wrote: »
    They featured as the technical challenge in the 2014 Great British Bake off - following a Mary Berry recipe. You can probably find the episode on Netflix or Youtube. The wonderful Felicity Cloake devoted her "How to cook the perfect ..." column to Florentines a few weweks later: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/oct/09/how-to-bake-perfect-florentines-recipe

Excellent, thank you: (I don't watch TV much!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement