Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best stew ever n Dublin

Options
  • 03-10-2019 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭

Best stew in Dublin ??? This weather is making me stew hungry !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I asked the same question last month. Here's the thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110871713

The best stew is one you make yourself. I've never had a stew in a restaurant or pub that came close. Maybe the beef & Guinness pie in The Ferryman, which is a stew in a pastry lid.

Carrots, potatoes, soup mix (barley and lentils), any other root veg you fancy.... all sitting in a pot of boiled water (no heat switched on) to soften.
    Chop any other secondary veg you want and put it to the side (mushrooms, onions, green beans, garlic etc).
    Dump a load of seasoned flour (add salt / pepper / garlic powder / onion powder) in a bowl, then toss in your meat (phwoar!) and dredge it so it's evenly covered.
    Oil the pan, high heat, brown the meat on all sides for 30 secs a side....do it in batches so you don't crowd the pan and swamp it with juices. Place on plate to the side.
    Fry your secondary veg in the same pan, add the meat back when done (including juices), splash of worcester sauce, dollop of tomato puree, crushed up oxo cube, bottle/can of guinness.
    Drain the root veg and soup mix, add contents of pan, top up with water if required.
    Big stir, add a bay leaf or two, leave any further seasoning until the very end. Bring it to the boil, then lash it into a preheated oven for about 3hrs.
    Low and slow, is your friend here. Gas mark 3 or 4 max.
    Season 15 minutes before the end, serve with bttery mash.
    Place leftovers into pie dishes and cover with pastry, freeze for when you're stuck for ideas.

Bingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

The best stew in Dublin?

My mams

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Barley lentils and multiple random vegetables. That's soup, not stew.

Beef onions carrots and herbs is all you need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Best stew in Dublin ??? This weather is making me stew hungry !!!

Lamb stew in The Oval used to be nice, but havent had it in a long time

• Advertisement
Advertisement