Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bad situation

Options
  • 03-10-2019 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

So I work for a company that had a couple of business units , one of which closed a couple of years ago. When that happened they moved me across to another business unit doing the same role.
    Now due to a change in direction of the business, my business unit no longer exists.

My manager moved me back into head office, where I am pretty much staring at the walls.
    Nice work if you can get it I guess, but it isn't doing my career progression any favors.

During a conversation with my manager I brought up the fact that my job doesn't actually exist anymore, a statement he agreed with.

The company has a history of not paying redundancy, instead either squeezing (managing) people out, or leaving them in the corner until they get the hint and move on.

I am in my job nearly 6 years now. Do I hold on for a (slim chance of) redundancy payout - most likely statutory at best, or should I just take the hint and leave ?

The longer this holding pattern continues the more likely it is that management will lose patience and move to manage me out.

The only thing holding me here really is that the company pay quite well and any move will mean a drop in wages.

Or am I overthinking this and should I just get a solicitor involved ?

Advertisement