Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of block wall v poured wall

Options
  • 03-10-2019 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

I’m thinking about building a retaining wall about 20 metres long and approximately 3 metres high from the top of its foundation. About one metre of the wall will be beneath the finished ground level on the outside, and on the inside, the finished lawn level will be about one metre above this.
    Which would be the least expensive – a wall built with 225mm X 150mm blocks built on their flat or a 225mm reinforced poured concrete wall?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

With the block option, Has your engineer offered an opinion on How much reinforcement is required between the block courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

BryanF wrote: »
    With the block option, Has your engineer offered an opinion on How much reinforcement is required between the block courses?

I haven’t spoken to an engineer about this yet because it’s something I mightn’t get done for a while. I’m just testing the water about the cost comparisons.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I’d imagine block would be cheaper, but without understanding the specific situation it’s hard to know what’s the appropriate method.

Advertisement