Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit exemptions

Options
  • 03-10-2019 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone knew whether it was possible to get a mortgage for a lower % deposit (I.e not 20% of the amount over 220k) if your combined income is under the 3.5 times buying rule? I’m getting conflicting advice.

Thanks
    Olivia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Of course it's possible, but if any credit committee signed off on a policy allowing it is regard them as grossly, grossly incompetent. You need your 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sparkle109

myshirt wrote: »
    Of course it's possible, but if any credit committee signed off on a policy allowing it is regard them as grossly, grossly incompetent. You need your 10%.

Apologies I mistyped this. I meant if I had 10% overall, rather than 20% over the first 220k?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

your information is very out of date

Up to 31 December 2016: For first-time buyers of principal dwelling homes there was a limit of 90% LTV on the first €220,000 of the value of a residential property, so first-time buyers needed a deposit of 10% for a house or apartment costing €220,000 or less.

A limit of 80% LTV applied on any excess value of the property above €220,000, so first-time buyers needed a deposit of 10% on the first €220,000 and 20% of any balance above €220,000.

Since 1 January 2017: For first-time buyers of principal dwelling homes the limit of 90% LTV applies on the full value of all residential property, so first-time buyers will need a deposit of 10% for any house or apartment, regardless of price.

For non-first-time home-buyers, there is a limit of 80% of LTV on new mortgage lending, whatever the price of the property, so they will need a deposit of 20% of the total purchase price.

Advertisement