Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An post failing to deliver

Options
  • 03-10-2019 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

I wonder if anyone can help me here? I ordered items from ebay and Adverts, while I've been informed they've been posted ebay have given reference number from their postal service and was informed by the said person the their was an attempted delivery on 14th September, Adverts order was posted on Tuesday of this week (1st October) went through regular post and further more it won't be able to fit into letter box so whom ever is posting these would have to ring door bell.

now my problem is An post haven't informed me there been an attempted delivery and possibly advice me to pop to sorting office to pick it up What happens if packages aren't delivered? do An post return to sender? I would have at lease thought I'd be getting a note or something to say they tried to deliver an item and maybe I would have been told to collect it or something

this is frustrating what can I do? can I make a complaint? have tried contacting An Post and so far waiting on response

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Have a lot of experience with the national joke, An Post. Re: the tracked item, sometimes the postman/driver don't bother their backside leaving a slip for you or don't actually attempt delivery and mark it like they have (more common I believe).

If it has been attempted just go to local depot with tracking details and ID and they'll likely have it for you.

Non reg Small packets (presuming the sender paid the correct inflated price) often take 2-3 working days for delivery. I know this as a regular sender. Senders often underpay in fairness as they're usually around a fiver for some thing small.. Pot luck with those but its rare they don't arrive, eventually. They may have this for you in depot also.

Items from outside Ireland are kept for 15 working days (usually) and within Ireland 4 working days. They won't reattempt delivery.

Don't waste your time complaining they're a law unto themselves.

You should be able to track the eBay item using the RM (for example) tracking number. There's a site and app called Track17 as well which is often has better info.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Have a lot of experience with the national joke, An Post. Re: the tracked item, sometimes the postman/driver don't bother their backside leaving a slip for you or don't actually attempt delivery and mark it like they have (more common I believe).

If it has been attempted just go to local depot with tracking details and ID and they'll likely have it for you.

Non reg Small packets (presuming the sender paid the correct inflated price) often take 2-3 working days for delivery. I know this as a regular sender. Senders often underpay in fairness as they're usually around a fiver for some thing small.. Pot luck with those but its rare they don't arrive, eventually. They may have this for you in depot also.

Items from outside Ireland are kept for 15 working days (usually) and within Ireland 4 working days. They won't reattempt delivery.

Don't waste your time complaining they're a law unto themselves.

You should be able to track the eBay item using the RM (for example) tracking number. There's a site and app called Track17 as well which is often has better info.

From the above I’d swear that you have never posted or used an Post because for a start unless you buy stamps and decide yourself how much a package costs then you can’t underpay as the person taking your parcel at the post office weighs it and tells you how much it costs so you can’t underpay like you suggest.

I buy almost everything on line and also sell quite a lot of stuff through eBay, adverts and DoneDeal and An Post are extremely efficient especially compared to Royal Mail. Delivery in 99% of cases is next day if posted before last post the day previous.

I have never had a parcel go missing or undelivered (without an attempted delivery notice)

Maybe you have had problems but I think the general consensus is that AP are very good and efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

And from your post I'd swear your only experience of using An Post is down the back of a newsagents in some rural backwater.

Pre paid or underpaid post ("packets" sent as letters/large letters) isn't uncommon, even when post office employees are involved (although it's obviously much less common). Granted, I probably exaggerated its likelihood in my reply.

Something not much bigger than a small matchbox is a small packet in the postal system and AP extortionate prices and delivery speeds are nowhere near as good as they should be for the premium they charge.

I've sent and received many thousands of packages with them in the last 10 years and for the prices they charge the service is shoddy in my experience, thankfully not yours.

Not leaving delivery attempt notices is obviously the exception but it happens and as happened to me, personally numerous times over the years. Some of their employees are better others like any business.

I also have plenty more experience with Royal Mail delivering the same items in the UK. Shockingly enough, they're infinitely better as there is comeback on non delivery for their basic services.

Let us know how you get on OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

From the above I’d swear that you have never posted or used an Post because for a start unless you buy stamps and decide yourself how much a package costs then you can’t underpay as the person taking your parcel at the post office weighs it and tells you how much it costs so you can’t underpay like you suggest.

I buy almost everything on line and also sell quite a lot of stuff through eBay, adverts and DoneDeal and An Post are extremely efficient especially compared to Royal Mail. Delivery in 99% of cases is next day if posted before last post the day previous.

I have never had a parcel go missing or undelivered (without an attempted delivery notice)

Maybe you have had problems but I think the general consensus is that AP are very good and efficient.

Seconded.

Generally speaking, An Post provide an excellent service - and leave our local couriers barely visible in the rearview mirror.

In the past I did have a problem with An Post Savings Bank/State Savings who dropped the ball badly - but for postal deliveries they are consistently excellent.

Advertisement