Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TL-SG105 Switch not working with my Sky Router ER110

• 03-10-2019 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Right, so here is my setup.

I stream so I have 2 PCs

- Gaming Rig
    - Streaming PC

I ran a long Ethernet cable from the other side of the house into my gaming room. In order to get both PCs connected to this, I bought this switch (TL-SG105).

First of all, no matter which PC is connected, in order for it to connect to the internet, I have to reboot the router (Sky ER110). The connection remains until I reboot the PC. Where then, I have to reboot the router again in order for the connected PC (via Ethernet) to pickup a solid connection.

Anyway, my current situation. I plugged both PCs into the TL-SG105 Switch which I got from Argos. I then plugged in the long Ethernet cable into the switch also. But all I get is Unidentified Network. It the same way it is before I usually reboot the router. Except this time, when both PCs are connected to the switch it doesn't work. No internet.

I believe its an issue with the router at this stage. The Switch has great reviews on Argos. The cables are barely used. Both PCs running Windows 10 and up to date.

Any help / advice much appreciated. I have googled a good bit but to no avail. Do I contact Sky about the fact that I need to reboot their router every time I want an Ethernet device connected?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭mikeecho

How long is the long cable?
    What spec are the cables 5 5e 6?

How long ago did you buy the switch? .. maybe you can return it and get a new one.

You'll have to troubleshoot it.

The cheapest thing to do is return it to Argos and get another one.

Then I would look at getting new cables, if the problem persists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

mikeecho wrote: »
    How long is the long cable?
    What spec are the cables 5 5e 6?

How long ago did you buy the switch? .. maybe you can return it and get a new one.

You'll have to troubleshoot it.

The cheapest thing to do is return it to Argos and get another one.

Then I would look at getting new cables, if the problem persists.

Cable is 30m Cat.6
    The other 2: Cat 6 / Cat 5

I bought it today.

Should the cables be the same Cat? Weird that neither PC picked up the connection, even after restarting the Router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Can you connect each PC to the router directly by cable to see if they connect.

So router > 30m cable > pc1

then

router > 30m cable > pc2

If these work you have to do some more troubleshooting.

Can you connect each PC to the router directly by cable to see if they connect.

So router > 30m cable > pc1

then

router > 30m cable > pc2

If these work you have to do some more troubleshooting.

Both PCs work individually with 30m cable, after a restart of the router. The other 2 cables are too short and would have to be moved into other room. But I can check those cables with a laptop > router.

BaRcOe wrote: »
    Both PCs work individually with 30m cable, after a restart of the router. The other 2 cables are too short and would have to be moved into other room. But I can check those cables with a laptop > router.

When you disconnect the 30m cable (pc1) from the router and connect it to pc2 you should not have to restart the router. Pc2 should obtain an IP address and work.

• Advertisement

When you disconnect the 30m cable (pc1) from the router and connect it to pc2 you should not have to restart the router. Pc2 should obtain an IP address and work.

I agree, so is this a separate issue to the Switch issue? My mindset was, ok I have an issue with the router, but this should still pass the signal to the the switch after a reboot off the router.

So do we need to address the router issue before troubleshooting the Switch issue?

I agree, so is this a separate issue to the Switch issue? My mindset was, ok I have an issue with the router, but this should still pass the signal to the the switch after a reboot of the router.

So do we need to address the router issue before troubleshooting the Switch issue?

I don't think it is the switch. You could try the three cables (30m and two short ones) from laptop to router. Connect and disconnect the cables and see if the internet connection remains.

Did you purchase the 30m cable or make it? It's not a crossover cable by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Repeatedly run "netstat - e" on PCs. If the frame counts go up it's not the switch. Kinda feels like a DHCP issue in the router though it doesn't fit completely, have you tried resetting it?

I don't think it is the switch. You could try the three cables (30m and two short ones) from laptop to router. Connect and disconnect the cables and see if the internet connection remains.

Did you purchase the 30m cable or make it? It's not a crossover cable by any chance?

I will try that! I got the 30m cable off Amazon.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Repeatedly run "netstat - e" on PCs. If the frame counts go up it's not the switch. Kinda feels like a DHCP issue in the router though it doesn't fit completely, have you tried resetting it?

I hit the reset button on the router multiple times, unplugged.. Etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You definitely didnt set the router to bridge mode, right?

ED E wrote: »
    You definitely didnt set the router to bridge mode, right?

I'm not sure how to do that.

Update: I tested the switch on a different router to my laptop. And all is good. So this rules out cabling issue or switch issue. How come my Sky router don't likey my switch? I have another switch which I can test out but no point really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

That Sky hub has an Ethernet configuation option, I recommend disabling the "Energy Efficient Ethernet" and trying it again.

I have 3 of these switches, I recommend connecting the Sky router to the seperate LAN port 5 and have the streaming PC / gaming machine into any of 1-4.

Router login > 192.168.0.1 > Username "admin" and password "sky" > Ethernet

Ethernet_Setup.jpg

advertsfox wrote: »
    That Sky hub has an Ethernet configuation option, I recommend disabling the "Energy Efficient Ethernet" and trying it again.

I have 3 of these switches, I recommend connecting the Sky router to the seperate LAN port 5 and have the streaming PC / gaming machine into any of 1-4.

Router login > 192.168.0.1 > Username "admin" and password "sky" > Ethernet

Ethernet_Setup.jpg

Cheers. OK I have my laptop connected directly, working fine. No Reboot needed if router.

I tested switch with laptop, and working OK now. Router in port 5, laptop port 1. So it works with one device. It all works, but doesn't like my gaming room for some reason.

Let me test my laptop with the long Ethernet cable (30m} and the switch.

So it sounds like it could be a faulty / damaged ethernet cable... is 30m required; as in, is there much slack or could you reduce the length?

Also, can you connect laptop to the same 30m cable in the same place as your gaming machine?

So it sounds like it could be a faulty / damaged ethernet cable... is 30m required; as in, is there much slack or could you reduce the length?

Also, can you connect laptop to the same 30m cable in the same place as your gaming machine?

OK now Laptop does not pickup Internet with 30m cable via the Switch.

30m cable directly into laptop not working now. But it was working yesterday on both PCs.

Safe to say it's the cable lads? I might go grab a Powerline Adapter and hope that performs. Anyone know if the switch will work with a Powerline Adapter, or should I just get a two port Adapter?

It boggles me because I was gaming, no lag or anything last night, using the 30m cable in the new rig (no switch).

Don't use the powerline adapters in this case, just go for a new cable - its clearly a faulty one. The length shouldn't be an issue but if you can go smaller at all (25 or 20m), it's best to that. You want the full gigabit connection to your gaming PC and you won't get close to that with powerline adapters (they'd be fine if you want internet to a random device but this is your gaming machine, speed and latency is P1).

PS: Powerline adapters do work with switches, I use one in my house (TPLink gigabit ones for an office PC) but everything else possible is via CAT5e.

Don't use the powerline adapters in this case, just go for a new cable - its clearly a faulty one. The length shouldn't be an issue but if you can go smaller at all (25 or 20m), it's best to that. You want the full gigabit connection to your gaming PC and you won't get close to that with powerline adapters (they'd be fine if you want internet to a random device but this is your gaming machine, speed and latency is P1).

PS: Powerline adapters do work with switches, I use one in my house (TPLink gigabit ones for an office PC) but everything else possible is via CAT5e.

Nice one. I have no choice but to use a powerline adapter for today, hopefully its good. I will then order a new cable. Its a thin cable, as opposed to regular because I need it to fit under doors and stuff. It will take a couple days via amazon Prime. Then I can return the Powerline Adapter.

Cheers for the help guys. Will post back if any further issues arise.

This is the long cable. Good reviews, except parts of it are a bit bent from previously going through closed doors and such. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DCS1QD9?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Happy to help! Might be worth trying a more permanent installation next time; drilling small holes and discreeting tucking it away (or tacked to skirtings etc. instead of doors which are always opening / closing) with some faceplates and uncrimped cable. I use these in my house, very easy to install.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00V2RSOBC/

Did you try looking at the interface framecounts? It would confirm one way or another if the cable or switch were at fault.

• Advertisement

Happy to help! Might be worth trying a more permanent installation next time; drilling small holes and discreeting tucking it away (or tacked to skirtings etc. instead of doors which are always opening / closing) with some faceplates and uncrimped cable. I use these in my house, very easy to install.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00V2RSOBC/

Maybe in my future home, when I actually own a place. Will deffo do all that!

Did you try looking at the interface framecounts? It would confirm one way or another if the cable or switch were at fault.

Turns out the Power Link Adapter is unreal. Same speeds as when beside the router. Hoping gaming goes good tonight :)

Maybe in my future home, when I actually own a place. Will deffo do all that!

Turns out the Power Link Adapter is unreal. Same speeds as when beside the router. Hoping gaming goes good tonight :)

Great ping in Apex and Siege. Little to no dropped frames on a 6 hour stream on Twitch. Powerlink is a godly device. Can't believe I haven't discovered it sooner!

Are all your PCs working in that setup?

Are all your PCs working in that setup?

Each PC has its own ethernet port form the Powerlink Adapter. And then the adapter has WiFi so I can connect my phone to it with great signal, and also my work laptop and Nintendo switch.

Advertisement