Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do i need a tv license for computer monitor?.

Options
  • 03-10-2019 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭

sorry if in the wrong section,but seeing as its computers I said would ask.
    friend of mine lives in a shared apartment and he has a laptop and pc monitor,the got a letter in post about tv license,does he need to get a tv license as he has no tv only laptop and pc monitor he uses for xbox.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

No

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

bassy wrote: »
    friend of mine lives in a shared apartment and he has a laptop and pc monitor,the got a letter in post about tv license,does he need to get a tv license as he has no tv only laptop and pc monitor he uses for xbox.

not unless the laptop had a tv tuner card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Its all changing to the Multimedia tax and everything including books, radio, TV, Laptop, tablet etc etc is included. Its really a second property tax. This pays the jobs for the boys club over at montrose and the rest goes for other excessive government wastage like the Orts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭bassy

thanks.no tv tuner card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭bassy

Its all changing to the Multimedia tax and everything including books, radio, TV, Laptop, tablet etc etc is included. Its really a second property tax. This pays the jobs for the boys club over at montrose and the rest goes for other excessive government wastage like the Orts.

but as we speak right now its not implemented,so there for no tv license needed for pc monitor or laptop with no tv tuner card correct ?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

correct

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It doesn’t matter what new law they bring in, they want you to pay no matter what, I do not receive RTÉ on my tv, I don’t watch anything made by RTÉ unless it happens to be on in the pub, I don’t have the RTÉ app, I will never ever ever pay.

The absolute wastage that is RTÉ needs to stop.

They can only blame themselves for giving the likes of Tubridy and D’arcy 500k a year, if not for RTÉ they would be working on some rinky dink local radio station earning a “normal” wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

sugarman wrote: »
    ...no it's not. Nothing more than a proposal at this stage and has been for nearly a decade.

Nobody is going hand over a "multimedia tax" for a phone, laptop or tablet that they've already paid tax on, ..that uses electricity they pay tax on ..that uses internet they pay tax on. Especially with the state that RTE are in financially.

A tax on a tax on a tax?

Do you drive? Your car is VRTd day one, tax on top of that, then road tax, then on your fuel, do you use toll roads, more tax, do you put tires on it, more tax, do you nct it? Tax tax tax.

Oh it can happen.

sugarman wrote: »
    ...no it's not. Nothing more than a proposal at this stage and has been for nearly a decade.

Nobody is going hand over a "multimedia tax" for a phone, laptop or tablet that they've already paid tax on, ..that uses electricity they pay tax on ..that uses internet they pay tax on. Especially with the state that RTE are in financially.

Oh I never said I liked it or it was gospel but it is in the pipeline. The truth is, its another property tax on your home. RTE does very well on its own from advertising, though I do see its market share slipping rapidly with youtube, cable Netflixs and other mediums.

As for people not paying it, you can screw things a little this way or a little that way but in the end the taxman get paid. I have known a few "cute hoors" who thought they were getting one over with the taxman with Ansbacher in the Caymans and offshore accounts but when discovered their kids had to cut sites out of their farms to cover the cost years later. I am no fan of the government (the establishment) but you have to respect the taxman.

but as we speak right now its not implemented,so there for no tv license needed for pc monitor or laptop with no tv tuner card correct ?.

That is correct but it is on its way. The medium that we we understood TV as when we were children is fading out. Its just an opportunity for a second property tax. I never said it was morally right, I said it is in the pipeline and on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

No not for a computer as long as he isnt watching tv on the monitor. but if the apartment has a tv they will need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

No not for a computer as long as he isnt watching tv on the monitor. but if the apartment has a tv they will need one.

Is there a difference between watching live TV or catch-up TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭samjames

but how can they prove that, if you were watching it on ur tablet

RTE is just rubbish, like theres nothing ever good on it, and hate paying the fat cats to get fatter

Ryan tubridy and the rest not worth 1/4 of what theyre getting

Advertisement