Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming VAT Before Registration

Options
  • 04-10-2019 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi all,

Please feel free to move this if already answered. I am a small business owner and am preparing to register for VAT in the following year.

My question is, how long can I claim VAT back on goods purchased before I registered? (i.e. if I register next March 2020, let's say).

Also, is there a month which I should be aiming to register for which would benefit me in claiming back?

The reason I am asking is that I have purchased a lot of assets in the last few months, and would like to claim back some of the investment.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

As a general rule Revenue, will not backdate a registration to earlier than the 1st day of the period in which the application to register is filed. So a registration filed today will be made in the 2 monrh period started on 1 September 2019.

You are not entitled to reclaim VAT paid prior to the start of the registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Why not register now?

Turnover doesn't matter except that you must register if it's over the thresholds (service or goods - different thresholds)

If you know the supplier well, you could ask them to credit the previous invoice and reissue it at a current date.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Submit a negative return and you are looking at an audit

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Submit a negative return and you are looking at an audit

Not really. You are more likely to be looking at an enquiry which could turn into an audit if you don't answer questions right. It happens a lot during the set up phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

How can you expect to claim VAT back if you are not charging VAT as you are not registered to do so. Go speak with your accountant about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement