Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst physical injury you've had

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Fell off the garage roof and landed on a pile of concrete blocks. They weren’t stacked but thrown in a pile. I landed on my back and tore it to shreds. I was lucky in that I didn’t break it or any other bones but was sore for weeks while the wounds healed.

When I was about 10 I fell off a Raleigh Chopper bike while going down hill as fast as my 10 year old legs could peddle. I don’t remember the fall but do remember waking up and my friend in tears as he described my face. I had ripped my upper lip in two, broke my front tooth, had multiple bleeding wounds all over my face. Broke my left leg, tore my knee to shreds, required over 40 stitches in my knee as it was such a mess. Both eyes were black and almost closed. I spent over two weeks in hospital as they waited on the swelling to go down to determine what damage lay underneath.

When I was about 12 I was cycling downhill with a plastic bag with my swimming gear in it hanging over the handlebars. The bag got jammed between the front wheel and the fork and I face planted the ground at great speed. Has a massive gaping head wound and two black eyes. My biggest concern was whether my bike was ok or not. My mum swore I was never going to be allowed on a bike ever again and that upset me more than my injuries. Spent 4 or 5 days in hospital with severe concussion and had to get 4 or 5 stitches in my head but thankfully no other injuries and my bike survived too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

God, I've had so many I can't really pick a worst injury.

For pain I'd probably pick a complete pec tear of my left pec muscle. I was working security in a club and it came at the end of the night when things should have been winding down but one prick refused to leave the club.

Long story short he attacked me, bit the fvck out of my arm (I've been bitten by people a few times, its terrible sore), and whatever caused my pec to tear is beyond me but I thought at the time I'd been stabbed.

Outside of that I broke my elbows and a wrist in a motorbike crash in 1995, a little prick on a bicycle was cycling up the quays (Dublin) against the flow of traffic and knocked me off my bike, then fvcked off. I was off work with those injuries for 10 months, during which my daughter was born and the nurses wouldn't let me hold her in case I let her fall.

Another time I fell off a ladder and smashed my wrist (dislocated my hand).

I've broken lots of bones during years of Judo but the pec tear in the bar was by far the worse in terms of pain and rehab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Been there with kidney stones - painful to say the least.

uh -oh don't say that. Recent sonar scan (or whatever they call it) detected a stone in my right kidney whilst checking other stuff. I think they said it was 10mm diameter. I only know that because I didn't get the results myself, just read the screen on my docs pc while he was chatting to me. He seems not to be worried about it, probably because it won't hurt too much, him I mean:pac:.

Worst pain I ever had was lower back pain. Runs in the family. However, my brother went through two serious ops getting disks fused which left him like a walking ironing board, I on the other hand, eventually found relief in painkillers and physio. I had held out for about 20 years, believing that 'back pain' was seen as the layabout's illness. Also a sedentary lifestyle and office chair for most of those years wasn't helping - despite a 14km cycle each way to work each day.

BTW, my lower back pain WAS crippling at times, almost to the point of wanting to bash my head off a wall to stop it. OTC painkillers never did any good when it was at its worst.

THe reason for such a long post about a relatively minor issue is that lots of people are scourged with it. If any of you are, here's my tips:

Doctor prescription for strong painkillers, then good physiotherapist who will teach you the exercises (which are a lot easier to do if the pain has been alleviated by medication). Eventually the painkillers are no longer needed, and a twinge can be sorted by doing the exercises. My wife says they look like some of the Pilates moves she used to do. But she thinks the leg-warmers are overkill:eek::pac::pac:.

I was walking the amazing and wonderful Inca trail. Was returning from our peak up the Andes when I fell down some stairs. When I say I fell, it was a long fall. I just continued to fall down the huge amount of steps, I was unstoppable. Here's a list of the bones I broke:
    Clavicle
    Humerus
    Radius
    Ulna
    Scaphoid
    Lunate
    Triquetrum
    Pisiform
    Hamate
    Capitate
    Trapezoid
    Trapezium
    Hip (Ilium, Ischium, Pubis)
    Femur
    Patella
    Tibia
    Fibula
    Talus
    Calcaneus
    Navicular
    Medial Cuneiform
    Middle Cuneiform
    Lateral Cuneiform
    Cuboid

The list is endless. I broke every bone in my head and body, I could hear them all shatter as I kept falling down the stairs. At one stage someone started running alongside me as I fell. We talked about how nice it was up Machu Pichu and about how we'd like to come back one day. The fall was still ongoing as I was given a drink of coconut milk. Eventually, towards the bottom, I died from all the injuries.

yeah, yeah, but did it HURT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

John_D80 wrote: »
    Childbirth is an injury now??

My missus had a root canal a month after giving birth to our first little angle (intentional mis spelling for laughs) and she said the dental procedure was much more painful.

Personally, I've damaged both in interior and anterior medial ligaments in my right knee at different times playing football which are my worst injuries in terms of recovery time and still give me trouble to this day.
    Various bumps on the head and cuts otherwise, a large splinter (about 4 x 5 cms) jammed under my finger nail was a painful swine of a thing as well, precious memories.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I was walking the amazing and wonderful Inca trail. Was returning from our peak up the Andes when I fell down some stairs. When I say I fell, it was a long fall. I just continued to fall down the huge amount of steps, I was unstoppable. Here's a list of the bones I broke:
    Clavicle
    Humerus
    Radius
    Ulna
    Scaphoid
    Lunate
    Triquetrum
    Pisiform
    Hamate
    Capitate
    Trapezoid
    Trapezium
    Hip (Ilium, Ischium, Pubis)
    Femur
    Patella
    Tibia
    Fibula
    Talus
    Calcaneus
    Navicular
    Medial Cuneiform
    Middle Cuneiform
    Lateral Cuneiform
    Cuboid

The list is endless. I broke every bone in my head and body, I could hear them all shatter as I kept falling down the stairs. At one stage someone started running alongside me as I fell. We talked about how nice it was up Machu Pichu and about how we'd like to come back one day. The fall was still ongoing as I was given a drink of coconut milk. Eventually, towards the bottom, I died from all the injuries.

Pffft...you’re obviously a wuss if you died from a minor fall like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

25kg concrete block fell four feet onto my foot 16 months ago ( wearing runners) , still painful to this day, it's a life changer, amongst other things, have had to give up walking ( used to walk 30 miles per week) as well as doing any kind of lifting ( all weight eventually leads south to the feet)

It's chronic pain now at this stage so could last year's, constant stomach ulcer symptoms from the pain meds is another unwelcome guest

Worst of all, it was someone else's fault entirely, helping them with a chore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Dislocated knee. Broken arm, Disc out in my back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Can a male answer this honestly, if a female friend of yours fell down the stairs and couldn't get up, would you put your hands around her bum and carry her to safety or just call the ER?

• Advertisement

Can a male answer this honestly, if a female friend of yours fell down the stairs and couldn't get up, would you put your hands around her bum and carry her to safety or just call the ER?

When I was about 20,(God, 44 years ago:( ) I was on my tools and working in an office block in town. Left some uncoiled cable on the floor. Happened to look at it in time to see a girl walking towards it and me, and she was carrying a load of files which obscured her view of the floor. I knew instantly what would happen and reached her just as she tumbled and fell forward, dropping all the files and heading for a face first collision with the floor. I dived forward to catch her, and saved her. With my two palms right on her chest. I had to let her down the rest of the way to the floor - about a foot or so - as to try to lift her back upright would have been truly embarrassing, not to mention difficult. However, contact lasted only a second. I apologised, she apologised for 'being clumsy' I pointed out that it was my cable she tripped over and felt obliged to prevent injury. We were both red-faced and relieved. I helped her pick up the files and then we went about our business. This was in the days before H & S or instant litigation. I'll never run for public office, in case it all comes out in the papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Workplace accident, crashed while driving a fork truck. Bad cranial lacerations, stitches. Compression injury to the neck. Neck and arms still experiencing pain a year later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Workplace accident, crashed while driving a fork truck. Bad cranial lacerations, stitches. Compression injury to the neck. Neck and arms still experiencing pain a year later.

Were you one of them in bulmers doing the dancing and running around while the fork lift was on the move and driver dancing outside it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

Busted my legs and arms a couple of times. Collar bones , ribs wrists . Two dislocated shoulders at different times. Worse was a ruptured Achilles tendon that was a bas*ard to rehab! But enough of my holidays to Lourdes! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Probably tearing the cruciate lig twice in a year.

2nd time was worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Were you one of them in bulmers doing the dancing and running around while the fork lift was on the move and driver dancing outside it....

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'd probably call Borus as he seems to be good at that sort of thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Broken ribs without a doubt.

Unreal pain, you're never comfortable, you can't immbolise the ribcage. I was on heavy painkillers with mine and was still suffering for the time they took to fully heal. I got a massive chest infection towards the end as well, a common side effect of a rib injury.

Broke my leg in 2007 and it was easy going in comparison.After the intial pain and swelling it went into a cast and gave me no more trouble for the period of recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

Went over the handle bars of my bike when I was 10. Bike race round the housing estate and a lad stopped dead to turn to see his dad and I went straight into him, over the handlebars and into the edge of footpath. Knocked out cold. Headache for 2 days, cured with 7up as my mam didn’t want to go to a doctor.

Year before, scateboard, my one and only time on one. Neighbours gate popped open as I went past, landed teeth first into the path.

2 years ago, cleaning the gutters, luckily only on the single story extension, ladder slid out and I grabbed the gutter. Pulled my shoulder muscles. Took 6 months of physio to sort that out.

Kidney stones twice, once on each side. First one is scary as hell as you haven’t a clue why you have intense pain. Wife brought me to K-doc (weekend), and eventually got in. I was aware of someone also waiting telling doctor to take me first as I was moaning in pain (I don’t remember moaning but my wife said I was loud). Over to Naas and on morphine. Passed the stone soon after as a clot in my pee that night.

Second time a year later and I knew what it was. Other side. Called the father in law at 6am and straight to Tallaght. My biggest concern was traffic which was building fast and trying to give directions to an old man while in intense pain. Don’t remember how that stone passed. Scan (CT I think) showed tearing of the urethra by the stone. I was telling the doctors what it was and they assumed I was in for drugs (seems it’s a common thing for junkies to do).

Likely cause was lack of water. I would happily go a full 8 hours without using the toilet and drink very little all day. Drink loads of water to prevent kidney stones, I wouldn’t wish them on anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

Nope. I’d tell her to get up, be a strong independent woman and walk her lazy ass to the hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

7 years ago, used to be chef, 70/80 hour weeks with very little breaks on shift, maybe 5/10 minutes every few hours for a quick smoke.

Woke up one morning in absolute agony, wasnt able to bend my right leg at all, not even a cm without crying out in massive pain. Was like being stabbed in the kneecap everytime i tried to bend it. Called into work telling them the story, ah see how ya feel later on they said. 2 hours pass and only getting worse, pain now without even moving it, quickly after it affected my left knee.

Had to get an ambulance out to take me to a&e to get scans done. 15 hour wait in a wheelchair in agony.

Turned out to be fluid in the both knees, was told to rest up and got painkillers. It passed after 4 or 5 days but was a prisoner in my bed.

Im outta the cheffing game game now and in a regular hour working job but i cant last more than 5 seconds if i have to crouch as the right knee cant take it.

Lot worse stories here but that was mine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

Twice from small arms fire and shrapnel, which I still have floating around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Chronic lower/middle back pain. I drove into a stone wall just before Christmas 2017 (accidentally) and my car almost flipped over after bouncing off it. I had a few minor cuts and bruises, but they were gone within a few weeks. My back felt fine at the time - so much so that I was able to help someone move and chop hundreds of logs later that evening. The pain hit me a day or two later and I spent Christmas off my tits on whatever painkillers I could get my hands on. An x-ray showed no no damage, and then the pain subsided a bit, so I never bothered doing anything about it.

Fast-forward to 2018, when I started a job driving buses. Not the most physically strenuous job, but the drivers' seats are shite and you can be sitting on them for up to five hours without a break. Sitting down kills me - which is a shame because I'm a very lazy person and I used to be very good at it. The pain after a long day is worse than anything I've ever experienced, especially if the weather is cold. Some days, I go numb on the left-hand-side from the arse down and can barely crawl out of the cab.

Other than that, I've never injured myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Years ago,playing under 18 football. I'm the goalkeeper. They get a corner, ball goes to the edge of the box and their guy takes a shot. I dive and save it but their striker follows it in incase I drop it. Goes to jump over me and mistimes his jump and lands full force on my head. Broken jaw and eye socket. Whole summer holidays laid up.

Guy who did it ended up in hospital as well cause I was knocked out and pumping blood he thought he'd killed me and went in to shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭Darksoul

Trampoline accident doing backflips 13 years ago ,landed on edge of trampoline about 8 foot in air and all weight on ribs right side.fractured lower 4 ribs,punctured lung,damaged liver.

Didn't feel too bad because they happened to be 2 other trampoline accidents on same day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Accident waiting to happen. Drinking a bottle of brandy and then cycle home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Pulled a muscle squatting once and couldn't stand upright for a few days. I've been reasonably lucky in life in regards to hurting myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

Two injuries stick out for me - An industrial food mixer (weighed about 250lb) was left unsecured in a kitchen, long story short it came off the counter and landed on my upper thigh, never felt pain like it. Nothing broken thankfully but 5 years on I still have a bruise and muscle damage. The second was catching 3 of my fingers in a blender -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Chainsaw Williams broke me neck

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms

Thought it would be a cheaper way to get drunk as it methanol/ethylene glycol/isopropanol have a longer half life than ethanol (normal alcohol) so you get drunk longer.

Turns out it wasn't the antifreeze but the isopropanol that was getting me drunk. Full 25 hours as opposed to 2 hours. But I had horrible withdrawal symptoms for drinking the stuff for a week. Luckily I had no kidney damage and the doctor put it down to the liver enzyme, ADH being blocked by isopropanol from metabolizing methanol and ethylene glycol into toxic substances.

A bit simple

dropping 20kg on my foot last week was pretty sore

• Advertisement

You still in hospital?

i was wearing squat shoes which i think stopped an actual break. just black and blue
    definitely not the worst but the most recent

Maybe the whole 20kg didn't get your foot?

it did yea. whole plate landed on its edge. under my toes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

You've had quite the life Mr. Fegelien.

Quite the life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

th283 wrote: »
    Two injuries stick out for me - An industrial food mixer (weighed about 250lb) was left unsecured in a kitchen, long story short it came off the counter and landed on my upper thigh, never felt pain like it. Nothing broken thankfully but 5 years on I still have a bruise and muscle damage. The second was catching 3 of my fingers in a blender -

Now that makes me wince...

THe CFS/ME means I am a walking disaster area, but since the wrist saga nothing major

Just a constant stream of small events

Today I slit my finger open getting a capsule out of foil..bled copiously. dropped a sharp knife on my foot, tripped over something that was not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Go Home Paddy Cat!!

Badly prolapsed disc. 3 years of chronic pain. It messed with my head too. Lost a good deal of power in my foot and that never returned. Pain is gone now thankfully. Was too stubborn to have surgery as I heard the long term results of back surgery are dreadful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Eye socket ,cheek bone and jaw. Wear your seat belts kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

bluewolf wrote: »
    dropping 20kg on my foot last week was pretty sore

How far did the object fall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Worst injury in terms of initial pain: cutting my eyeball

Worst injury in terms of recovery, rehab and time taken to get back to normal: ruptured Achilles

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    How far did the object fall?

only a bit above waist height

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭black_and_blue

Slipped disc. Couldn't sleep properly with it. Would wake up in pain and couldn't move or get up. Would take me around 30 minutes to get up and hold onto furniture to try get my balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Currently have a torn meniscus in my right knee, on crutches and awaiting operation date :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Fractured my 4th and 5th tarsometatarsal bones in my foot last year as well as a dislocated cuboid while playing a football match.
    Still not fully recovered and prob never will be

Funniest injury was while i was working on a mine site in Australia and half of the campsite where flying home the next day for a week off so we all went to the pub, i went to toilet area where a bunch of lads were messing flinging toilet roll and i heard one of the rolls fall into the toilet bowl so i was waiting for it to be flung back, it was indeed thrown straight at my head so i ducked resulting in my face hitting the cistern and resulting in a broken nose.
    There then had to be an investigation to what happened and none of the management could keep a straight face,while i explained what happened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

Broke my arm in 2 places in a car crash.
    The break damaged my nerves and lost all movement in the arm
    Arm better but will never be fully right. Have no Feeling in ring and baby finger.
    I am used to it now and I always give thanks no one was killed in that crash.
    To think you could have caused someone’s else death is sobering

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Smashed 3 front teeth. Very sore, and very expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I got a smack of a car when I was younger and was out cold but didn't break anything.

I put it down to all the milk I drank, which I'll probably also blame for heart disease when the time comes.

Milk doesn't cause heart disease.

• Advertisement

Childbirth..
    What happened you?

I got crushed under a ramp of a cattle trailer when 15 cattle came out of the trailer over it. No broken bones but I had a fairly sore back for two weeks after same as if I were run over by a train. Another time I got bucked off a horse onto solid ground, I dropped 6 feet in the air in a sitting position pulled a muscle in my thigh and was in crutches for 8 weeks after. Spent a few sleepless nights after that one and felt like I was run over by a train in the mornings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Workplace accident,.

Me too, had quite a nasty paper cut once, really stung....

Otherwise, ruptured my cruciate ligament in January this year while skiing. Still recovering. Can jog a little bit now.

trashcan wrote: »
    Me too, had quite a nasty paper cut once, really stung....

Otherwise, ruptured my cruciate ligament in January this year while skiing. Still recovering. Can jog a little bit now.

Jaysus, you wouldn't want to be working on a farm so where cuts are almost an everyday ocurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Broken heart.

• Advertisement
Advertisement