Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a company to buy / sell stocks through?

Options
  • 04-10-2019 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I've been getting into some stock investing over the last year or so.

I'm not into day trading, etc. My strategy is buy & hold long-term. I have a mix of growth & dividend stocks.

I have about 2.5k to invest each month, so I'm wondering is it possible to set up a company & buy / sell stocks through the company?

My main thinking behind this is that I'm wondering is there some benefits doing this through the company (tax breaks, etc.) ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭MarioLuigi

Because you'll want to keep your funds invested, ie. not withdraw a salary from the company, due to corporation tax and close company surcharge you're better off doing this as a sole trader.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Swagat

MarioLuigi wrote: »
    Because you'll want to keep your funds invested, ie. not withdraw a salary from the company, due to corporation tax and close company surcharge you're better off doing this as a sole trader.

Appreciate the advice. I'll look into how to become a sole trader so.

Will probably have some more questions about expenses, etc. but I'll do a bit of research anyway and see what I come up with.

Thanks again for your feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

You will have an uphill task persuading Revenue that you are trading. They will see you as investing, and liable to capital gains tax on profits less losses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭MarioLuigi

nompere wrote: »
    You will have an uphill task persuading Revenue that you are trading. They will see you as investing, and liable to capital gains tax on profits less losses.

I think the opposite would be more likely. You'd have a tougher time convincing Revenue that you're "only' investing and liable to CGT (33%) rather than actively trading and liable to income tax (potentially 52%).

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

The tax environment is prohibitive for investors in Ireland unfortunately and there are numerous anti-avoidance provisions to prevent individuals from getting a tax benefit from setting up a corporate structure.

I wouldn't be too worried about being classed as trading if you're mainly buying and holding.

If you're actively trading on a day to day basis and making large profits then Revenue may raise an assessment, but if that's the case then you can afford some professional advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement