Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone Warranty

Options
  • 04-10-2019 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭

How long is the warranty on the iPhone 8? Mine is approx a year old and the charger pin is not working so the phone can only be charged using a wireless charging pad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Before you worry about the warranty, have you cleaned out the charging port with, for example, a toothpick/cocktail sausage stick? A load of lint often finds its way in there and stops it charging (the cable often feels 'wobbly' in the port).

Otherwise, the warranty is generally a 1 year limited warranty, but there are also statutory or EU protections afforded to consumers(see this link for example https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/faulty-goods-know-your-rights-if-things-go-wrong-1.3450322)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

brophs wrote: »
    Before you worry about the warranty, have you cleaned out the charging port with, for example, a toothpick/cocktail sausage stick? A load of lint often finds its way in there and stops it charging (the cable often feels 'wobbly' in the port).

Otherwise, the warranty is generally a 1 year limited warranty, but there are also statutory or EU protections afforded to consumers(see this link for example https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/faulty-goods-know-your-rights-if-things-go-wrong-1.3450322)

Yes I’ve tried all the simple things. Should I take it up with Vodafone or direct with Apple?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Gael23 wrote: »
    Yes I’ve tried all the simple things. Should I take it up with Vodafone or direct with Apple?
    Well, in theory you’re supposed to go back to the seller (Vodafone in this case) but I know that plenty of people on here, myself included, have had success contacting Apple directly. It seems to be luck of the draw but if you’re firm and polite and reiterate your statutory rights, you may find they’ll do it as a gesture of goodwill. I think others have found it easier to get a result by going to the store in Belfast but I’ve never been and can’t speak to that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Gael23 wrote: »

Vodafone. If it's just over a year old Apple might help as a gesture of goodwill as brophs said, but don't be surprised if they don't. As you didn't buy it from Apple, they have no obligation to you once the voluntary 1 year manufacturer's warranty is up. Statutory consumer rights apply to the seller.

I wouldn't rule out there just being a bit of dust or dirt in the port. It can be very difficult to get it out. Sticking a toothpick around won't do it, you have to sit under a light and pick it out. It once took me a half hour to do it and I still didn't get it all.

Advertisement