Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprenticeship instead of college

Options
  • 04-10-2019 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

While most school leavers are opting for college my nephew is in a electrical apprenticeship and I have been in his company a few times when the question was asked what college course are you doing. They are surprised and the conversation ends when he says he’s doing an apprenticeship.
    He feels that there is a stigma and sometimes ignorance to the apprenticeship jobs.
    He got great points in leaving cert but didn’t want to go to college wanted a trade.
    Has any one else experienced this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Denzel123 wrote: »
    While most school leavers are opting for college my nephew is in a electrical apprenticeship and I have been in his company a few times when the question was asked what college course are you doing. They are surprised and the conversation ends when he says he’s doing an apprenticeship.
    He feels that there is a stigma and sometimes ignorance to the apprenticeship jobs.
    He got great points in leaving cert but didn’t want to go to college wanted a trade.

There is no stigma.
    1st way, you study for 2-5 years and you get a cert-degree and get a job
    2nd you learn by doing/plus theory(maybe tests?) and you get a qualification in that trade after what? 3-4 years?

Both are good options, it depends what is right for him/her.

Maybe some snobs look at like an apprenticeship is (free) and you get paid for it albeit small wages until your qualified where as college you pay the fee every year and don't get a cent for it.
    Generally he should get the idea into his head now that lifes not about trying to please everyone he knows and everyones going to have an opinion, best off ignoring people like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

There absolutely is and always has been a snobbish disregard of apprenticeships in Ireland. despite the fact that your nephew will be in a secure well earning job as an electrician while a great many others will be in floating jobless probably for years with arts degrees and jobless.
    Admire his determination support him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Denzel123

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »

There is no stigma.
    1st way, you study for 2-5 years and you get a cert-degree and get a job
    2nd you learn by doing/plus theory(maybe tests?) and you get a qualification in that trade after what? 3-4 years?

Both are good options, it depends what is right for him/her.

Maybe some snobs look at like an apprenticeship is (free) and you get paid for it albeit small wages until your qualified where as college you pay the fee every year and don't get a cent for it.
    Generally he should get the idea into his head now that lifes not about trying to please everyone he knows and everyones going to have an opinion, best off ignoring people like that.

He does ignore them. And he could of got any college place he wanted with the points he got but to some it’s as if he did poorly in his leaving cert. He’s 100% happy with the choice he’s made and coming from a trade myself he will be very comfortable.

The comments are mainly from middled aged men who have yet to raise a teenager and all that goes with it and they have their paths laid out for them to go to college and get a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A number of countries use them over college. I believe we are supposed to be expanding our own schemes.

https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Press-Releases/2019-press-releases/PR19-06-03.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

He’s 100% happy with the choice he’s made.

That is the most important thing - doing something that you are happy with. He is going to spend a lot of time over the next 40 years doing it, so it's important that it is something he is happy doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

The likelihood is that your nephew will probably end up doing a part-time degree course at some later stage anyway ... except that his employer will pay his course fees and support him with study and exam leave! An electrical apprenticeship is a gateway into all sorts of areas!

Advertisement