Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Older PC Gaming Build

Options
  • 05-10-2019 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Many moons ago I built my gaming PC with the spec posted on here but it is now rather out of date so I wanted to update without breaking the bank - wondering can I get some advice on where €200 or €300 can do the most good!

One of the reasons I'm thinking of upgrading is as I have 2 cheap monitors that are connected (one from unit built in to mobo and other from the Radeon card) but somehow my computer is struggling when I spend a while watching Youtube or the like on one screen while browsing on the other, despite task manager reporting everything as OK.

1. What is your budget? [€300]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Mostly browsing but playing AoE2 DE when it comes out and might occasionally revisit Skyrim or similar.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Yes!
    Tower,
    8 gigs of ram (2x4, DDR3-1333);
    PSU (EVGA 500w);
    AMD Radeon HD 7800 series;
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX;
    Intel Core i5 3570k, 3.4Ghz
    Hard drive and SSD.

5. Do you need a monitor? No.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Whatever is required

9. When are you purchasing? Next week or two

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

New budget GPUs (RX 5500, GTX 1660 Super) should be announced in next 2-3 days.
    Wait for benchmarks on those.

In meantime though, I'd suggest 2x8Gb DDR3-1600, put some new thermal paste (e.g. Arctic MX2) on the CPU, clean out the fans and reinstall Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Something like HyperX FURY Black 16GB (2x 8GB) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM for the RAM is fine, I'd presume? Used Crucial back in the day but they seem a bit more expensive now than I remember.

Will wait on the new GPUs as suggested, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

They're practically all the same - just make sure its CL rating (CAS Latency) is 9 or 10.
    Heck you can even buy 1866 MHz kits for this price now.

Advertisement