Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband issue

• 05-10-2019 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Alright guys and gals I need some help, and apologies if this is not the place to ask.

So I changed broadband provider during the week. I moved from Eir to nova broadband and after a few teething problems things are going ok except for one thing.

My smart TVs will not play any apps ( I have 2) both seem to have the same problem, they are connected to the router but not the internet. As I'm of limited knowledge in this area I've tried the basics , plug out the TVs , factory reset, make sure they're up to date. But still nothing, I feel it's something small that needs changing either with the TVs or the router.

On a side note I rang nova but they say it's a product problem not an broadband problem

So any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

steviebg wrote: »
    Alright guys and gals I need some help, and apologies if this is not the place to ask.

So I changed broadband provider during the week. I moved from Eir to nova broadband and after a few teething problems things are going ok except for one thing.

My smart TVs will not play any apps ( I have 2) both seem to have the same problem, they are connected to the router but not the internet. As I'm of limited knowledge in this area I've tried the basics , plug out the TVs , factory reset, make sure they're up to date. But still nothing, I feel it's something small that needs changing either with the TVs or the router.

On a side note I rang nova but they say it's a product problem not an broadband problem

So any help would be much appreciated.

It might be a good idea to list the models of TV's and router so as people familiar with that equipment can respond.

What apps aren't working for you on TV?
    Can you test the same/similar apps on your phone when connected to wifi on the nova router?

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭steviebg

Hi the TVs are a hisense 55m3300 and a Philips 55pus6703, the router is a tenda n300.

Yup everything else works on phones and iPads, even the PS4 is connected and works. Its just the apps on the TVs (Netflix and YouTube)

What does;
    Home > Settings > All settings > Network > View network settings

on the philips TV show up as regards IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DNS, signal strength and encryption method?

Jim

Netmask 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.1.1
    DNS 192.168.1.1
    Its a wired connection so no signal strength, can't find anything regarding encryption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Netmask 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.1.1
    DNS 192.168.1.1
    Its a wired connection so no signal strength, can't find anything regarding encryption.

Make sure your TV is set to get the IP address info automatically and not inputted manually or set statically
    Your gateway and DNS are the same which isn't right I would have thought. DNS wouldn't normally be 192.168....

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

tototoe wrote: »
    Your gateway and DNS are the same which isn't right I would have thought. DNS wouldn't normally be 192.168....

It's not unusual. It means that the router is acting as a DNS caching proxy for the local network, which can be a good idea.

Hmm....

1. If you type 192.168.1.1 into the browser on a laptop or phone browser does it being you to the login page for the tenda router?

2. If so and for no good reason really; on philips go to Home > Settings > All
    settings > Network > Static IP configuration and enter 8.8.8.8 into the box for DNS1. Remove it again if it doesn't work.

3. Give it a try connecting TV wirelessly to the router (if possble)

Yup can log into the router, but I have no idea if the settings are right or wrong.

8.8.8.8 in the DNS didn't do anything.

The TV connected wirelessly, but the apps wouldn't open.

Thanks very much for taking the time to look into this, I know it's not the end of the world if it can't be sorted as I can watch Netflix on the PS4. But Jesus it's annoying not knowing what the problem is!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Yup can log into the router, but I have no idea if the settings are right or wrong.

Thanks very much for taking the time to look into this, I know it's not the end of the world if it can't be sorted as I can watch Netflix on the PS4. But Jesus it's annoying not knowing what the problem is!!

Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the apps.the apps might have the old broadband setting with eir they shouldn’t you never no

Quite understandable why its annoying alright. I don't really see why its not working...yet.

Try > Settings > All settings > Network > Clear Internet Memory (N.B. this clears your login details for netflix)

Does Settings > Help > Check the Network on Phillips give any clue on either hardwire or wifi?

• Advertisement

@naughto the apps can't be deleted as they came pre loaded with the TV

@westyirl cleared the internet memory and still nothing I feel like it's time to maybe try a new router!!

@naughto the apps can't be deleted as they came pre loaded with the TV

@westyirl cleared the internet memory and still nothing I feel like it's time to maybe try a new router!!

Sorry I meant to say earlier but try with just the TV connected to the router and nothing else.

What does Settings > Help > Check the Network on the TV show?

Failing that I'd go the route of resetting the router to factory defaults. However login to router and note down the internet connection settings prior to doing so as you will want them after a reset.

http://www.tenda.cz/sites/Upload/F300/F300_UG.pdf page 92 for factory reset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Likeabossboss

Is anything working on the TVs?

Can you do an ipconfig /all from a laptop and then check the network settings against the TV?

@westyirl I tried the TV by its self still no joy. Tried a factory reset no joy. Checking the network on the TV gives two results, sometimes it's connected to the router but not the internet, and sometimes it's not connected to the router.

@likeabossboss no not a thing works on the the TVs no apps no browser, won't check for updates.

One thing I have noticed is sometimes even when the TV says it's connected to the router the IP address does not show up on the router webpage.
    And then when the router is reset it shows up again, but still won't connect to the internet.

I presume it’s wireless your using?

The next step is start to changing the wireless channel on the router until you find one that works with the TVs. My guess is that it doesn’t like the one it’s currently on. Usually around 15 different ones but just go up three or four at a time and test.

Nope it's a wired connection, it does the same for both types of connection. Says it's connected but then nothing works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Nope it's a wired connection, it does the same for both types of connection. Says it's connected but then nothing works.

Did u check the cable might be faulty

Used the cable on the PS4 and it's grand

Used the cable on the PS4 and it's grand

I take it the tenda n300 is connected to your main router via Ethernet

• Advertisement

I see some wire less extender comes up when you Google the model number. This is what I have https://www.amazon.in/Tenda-Wireless-Router-Antennas-F3/dp/B01CA5SN1K

So I'm connecting the TV directly to the router.

I see some wire less extender comes up when you Google the model number. This is what I have https://www.amazon.in/Tenda-Wireless-Router-Antennas-F3/dp/B01CA5SN1K

So I'm connecting the TV directly to the router.

Okay so it’s just an extender not your main internet modem if I’m understanding correctly? Are the TVs working okay from your main modem.

Advertisement