Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Line E

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Kellyconor1982

tom1ie wrote: »
    Agreed.
    Unfortunately the flip side to that coin is metro link which was quoted at 3 billion (the version with all the bells and whistles) back in 2016 (?) Will now cost a lot more with construction inflation. Add in inevitable cost over runs and the result is the opposition parties crucifying the government of the day, thus ensuring we never even look at another metro line for decades. (very pessimistic for a Friday morning I know!! Sorry!!)

The media/opposition parties really annoy me. Fine Gael would be the exact same in opposition.

I do feel that once the first line is built, it will be such a roaring success that there will be a clamour for further lines.

By the 2030s (40s), the city will have a much bigger population and it is scary to think how our roads will be able to cope at that point.

I can't help but think that the transport by the late 2040s will be really world class, but it won't be much good to me as I'll be retired! Still it would be great if future generations had that quality transport system to enjoy.

The sad thing is much poorer countries than ireland commit to metro projects and build an extensive network in half that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

Yes but why do need to justify a metro by quoting maximum capacity numbers?
    It's a PT system for all that's needed in Dublin, just because max capacity won't be reached straight away doesn't mean we can't justify building it.

If you read my post I’ve acknowledged that and said you’d need to have numbers that are greater than those that could be accommodated by Luas to justify the cost which is 3x that of Luas per km. the Swords/Ballymun corridor does this and so does the green line corridor.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

The junction is constrained because the traffic has no where to go.
    With a large efficient p and r the traffic will have somewhere to go and reduce overall traffic levels within the M50 radius.

The junction is constrained by a lack of capacity to handle the traffic currently using it. Adding 3,000 cars to it is going to stop the junction functioning altogether.
    The traffic volumes within the m50 could just as easily be reduced by providing a Luas line and potentially a smaller park and ride in the same area

Advertisement