Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Censoring/Suppressing films

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

I don’t believe late term abortion is allowed outside the life of th mother being endangered and or the fetus being ‘incompatible with life’/ likely to die

Exactly, so why is it being framed as a matter of choice for women? It clearly is not a debate about choice at all.

You I'm sure like most sensible people would be opposed to late term abortion.
    You like most sensible people would not be opposed to early term abortions.

Why does this become a debate about choice? It's not. Its a loaded emotive word designed to spread propaganda.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Exactly, so why is it being framed as a matter of choice for women? It clearly is not a debate about choice at all.

You I'm sure like most sensible people would be opposed to late term abortion.
    You like most sensible people would not be opposed to early term abortions.

Why does this become a debate about choice? It's not. Its a loaded emotive word designed to spread propaganda.

You’re using nonexistent procedures and terms like post birth abortions.
    Can you show me where a post birth abortion has ever happened in Ireland? Can you show me how anyone can choose that legally?

You’re the one using emotive language and outright lies to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 35,082 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Does a woman have the right to choose to end her pregnancy one day before she's due?

Absolutely, that's exactly what my wife did on the advice of her ob/gyn due to risk to her health from a vaginal birth, she chose to have her pregnancy artificially ended

Our son is nearly 9 now.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Your newspeak grows tiresome. Enjoy your cognitive dissonance buddy.

I'm guessing 2nd year Arts student?

Keep on trucking lad, sterling work!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Boggles wrote: »
    Jaysus, relax lad you are rage typing, it's never a good look.

I merely asked you because I don't frequent pro-life web sites like your good self.

The point remains though, why if they want to be taken seriously as an organisation are they actively promoting a movie, which you said was not a documentary and you pointed out was / is probably pointless. Again, I ask, have you seen it?

That's before you even consider the book it's based on seems to be based on more fiction than fact.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/politics/the-convert/

You’re totally confused now.
    Why would you think that a pro life organisation wouldn’t be taken seriously? Because they are promoting a film that you appear to be terrified of?
    Or is it that you think that pro life organisations are anxious to be taken seriously by the likes of yourself?!? (Lol).
    Why would they even care about what you take seriously boggles?
    I know that what boggles wants and likes is the only thing that ever matters to boggles but you do realise that pro life organisations are huge all over the world and aren’t relying on your approval?
    Imagine. A whole movement of people and ideas thriving without your permission.
    Shocking.

• Advertisement

‘Thriving’?
    Hardly.

Festering would be a better word.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

‘Thriving’?
    Hardly.

Festering would be a better word.

Convince yourself that the world wide pro life movement is “festering” if you want.
    You’ve already convinced yourself that a baby of 24 weeks gestation is some kind of mysterious clump of cells that is definitely not a human being so you can really tell yourself anything that suits you.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Why would you think that a pro life organisation wouldn’t be taken seriously?

Because they lie, all the time. They lied constantly through the referendum campaign, and this film is just the latest example of their slickly-funded lies.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Convince yourself that the world wide pro life movement is “festering” if you want.
    You’ve already convinced yourself that a baby of 24 weeks gestation is some kind of mysterious clump of cells that is definitely not a human being so you can really tell yourself anything that suits you.

This is a man who campaigned to save the 8th. Save the precious unborn. Loves embryos, hates children.
    The blatant hypocrisy of so called pro life people is appalling and worse as they’re so shameless going about it

https://twitter.com/john_mcguirk/status/1181553424657244160?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

He may have a point.

Doctors are complaining that there are very, very sick people who have to receive appointments and they will be kept waiting by cost free appointments for kids who are generally the most healthy people in society.

• Advertisement

He may have a point.

Doctors are complaining that there are very, very sick people who have to receive appointments and they will be kept waiting by cost free appointments for kids who are generally the most healthy people in society.

Maria from D4 is far far far more likely to present at the doctors office with little Jeffries sniffles than a mother in cabra or castletown with their little lateeshas.

The exemption for kids doctors appointment costs applies to all does it not, regardless of means.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Maria from D4 is far far far more likely to present at the doctors office with little Jeffries sniffles than a mother in cabra or castletown with their little lateeshas.

You would be wrong

Gatling wrote: »
    You would be wrong

You’ve never met the ever so entitled and privileged D4 elite it seems

The exemption for kids doctors appointment costs applies to all does it not, regardless of means.

I have really no idea of the relevance of this comment. It matters little if the kids are from D4 or western Donegal.

The problem is when kids with the sniffles are sucking up scarce medical time that needs to be available to more serious cases.

I have really no idea of the relevance of this comment. It matters little if the kids are from D4 or western Donegal.

The problem is when kids with the sniffles are sucking up scarce medical time that needs to be available to more serious cases.

Sorry should gave been clearer.
    Posh mommies are just as likely in fact more so to bring their kids to the doctor with a sniffles than a mammy from a poorer neighborhood

Mcguirk was attacking poorer families here in that tweet and others if you look at his page

He’s a professional troll. As most pro life headbangers in Irish media are

https://twitter.com/john_mcguirk/status/1181600978631573505?s=21

I do love that people like him are the face of pro life in Ireland (he’s not. He just used it to make a name for himself.)

But he is representing how they are accurately.

Ugly

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Posh mommies are just as likely in fact more so to bring their kids to the doctor with a sniffles than a mammy from a poorer neighborhood

Parents who don't have a medical card and have to pay €50 + too see a doctor and that's before getting a prescription they have to pay for ,will also likely be paying a mortgage,car payments and child care so are less likely to bring little Johnny to the local surgery for a sniffle compared to a parent who has a full medical card cover and only pay €2.50 if even that for a prescription while sitting at home in there pajamas all day with subsidised rent,free or cheap childcare

Dishing out taxpayer goodies like free GP visits to wealthy parents is also, excuse my phraseology, F*cking Mad don't you think?

I was sitting next to my well paid senior engineering manager one day, and him telling me how he brought the kid into the doc, "just in case, sure its free".

Gatling wrote: »
    Parents who don't have a medical card and have to pay €50 + too see a doctor and that's before getting a prescription they have to pay for ,will also likely be paying a mortgage,car payments and child care so are less likely to bring little Johnny to the local surgery for a sniffle compared to a parent who has a full medical card cover and only pay €2.50 if even that for a prescription while sitting at home in there pajamas all day with subsidised rent,free or cheap childcare

There’s no charge for a child under 8 to see a doctor. Regardless of the parents means.

You miss the point. Again.

Dishing out taxpayer goodies like free GP visits to wealthy parents is also, excuse my phraseology, F*cking Mad don't you think?

I was sitting next to my well paid senior engineering manager one day, and him telling me how he brought the kid into the doc, "just in case, sure its free".

It’s absolutely mad. Millionaires and billionaires in Ireland with kids still get and claim children’s allowance.
    To the last one. A poxy few hundred quid a month. ‘Cos we pay our taxes and want something back’.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

Causing offence isn't against the law afaik.

Freedom of speech is constitutionally guaranteed (subject to public order and morality, however you want to define those...) but given various Supreme Court decisions (including on blasphemy) and in the context of the European Charter of Human Rights, it's hard to see how any law materially restricting free speech would hold up.

Perhaps the 1929 Censorship of Publications Act could be interpreted by the wrong people as such.

Or the Broadcasting Act 2009
    Broadcasters — Duties, Codes and Rules
    [...] (1) Every broadcaster shall ensure that—
    [...](d) anything which may reasonably be regarded as causing harm or offence, or as being likely to promote, or incite to, crime or as tending to undermine the authority of the State, is not broadcast by the broadcaster

(2) Broadcasting codes shall provide—
    [...](a) the degree of harm or offence likely to be caused by the inclusion of any particular sort of material in programmes generally, or in programmes of a particular description,

Indeed, thankfully the blasphemy law was repealed, think everyone was pretty much in agreement. Unfortunately though there seems to be a semi-religious undertone recently to offence taking recently as evidenced by the the definition the Garda currently have on their website:
    What is hate crime?
    Any incident which is perceived by the victim or any other person as being motivated by hate, based on a person’s age, race, ethnicity, religious belief, gender identity, disability, or sexual orientation’ .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Homelander

This is a man who campaigned to save the 8th. Save the precious unborn. Loves embryos, hates children.
    The blatant hypocrisy of so called pro life people is appalling and worse as they’re so shameless going about it

https://twitter.com/john_mcguirk/status/1181553424657244160?s=21

Can you just stop posting utter drivel at this stage? One point has nothing to do with the other. How is feeling that extending free GP visits to older children will potentially clog up surgeries with trivial cases "blatant hypocrisy" and incompatiable with being pro-life?

There are doctors out there who have that exact same concern. It has got the precise sum of zero to do with being pro-life or pro-choice so I'm struggling to understand how you're coming up with this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,126 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yes, because spending time in the doc's waiting room with a sniffly child surrounded by all the other sniffly kids is such great craic.
    It’s absolutely mad. Millionaires and billionaires in Ireland with kids still get and claim children’s allowance.
    To the last one. A poxy few hundred quid a month. ‘Cos we pay our taxes and want something back’.
    Or maybe because a means testing system would cost more than it would save.

Should we be means testing public schools? And public hospitals? And all the roads?
    He may have a point.

Doctors are complaining as part of their haggle for more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,000 ✭✭✭Cordell

TIL that bringing a child to the doc just to be safe it's bad, FML.
    I guess it's better than bringing them to the A&E.

Do you think that everyone who doesn't have a medical card is wealthy?

Clueless.

Our local doc is now gone up to €65. That's a lot of money for many working people. Any prescriptions on top of that have to be paid for in full. A child GP visit card won't help there, either.

Perhaps the 1929 Censorship of Publications Act could be interpreted by the wrong people as such.

Or the Broadcasting Act 2009

"The wrong people"? Judges interpret the law, for decades the Supreme Court has taken a more liberal interpretation on free speech. There's also the ECHR.

Broadcasting has always been regulated much more harsly than other media, but have a look at some BAI decisions from the last few years - plenty of trollish religion types claiming to be 'offended' any time their church is criticised, they get short shrift.

Unfortunately though there seems to be a semi-religious undertone recently to offence taking recently as evidenced by the the definition the Garda currently have on their website:

Now's the time to get rid of all laws favouring religion and get religion out of schools entirely, given that the likes of Dr Selim are not behind the door demanding what he feels are his rights to make our society conform to Saudi Arabian norms.

Homelander wrote: »
    Can you just stop posting utter drivel at this stage? One point has nothing to do with the other. How is feeling that extending free GP visits to older children will potentially clog up surgeries with trivial cases "blatant hypocrisy" and incompatiable with being pro-life?

There are doctors out there who have that exact same concern. It has got the precise sum of zero to do with being pro-life or pro-choice so I'm struggling to understand how you're coming up with this nonsense.

You life turning a blind eye to the hypocrisy of a notorious contrarian pro lifer. No surprises there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Homelander

You life turning a blind eye to the hypocrisy of a notorious contrarian pro lifer. No surprises there.

You've yet to establish why being against extending free GP care to under-8's universally is incompatiable with being pro-life. Can you explain the hyprocrisy in detail in this particular case please?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Homelander wrote: »
    You've yet to establish why being against extending free GP care to under-8's universally is incompatiable with being pro-life. Can you explain the hyprocrisy in detail in this particular case please?

Surely you realise that one cannot be pro-life unless they also meet a number of random other criteria that differs dependent on the pro-choice person that sets them? Tut tut.

• Advertisement

Just the usual hypocrisy - the zygote is sacred, the single mother or struggling two-parent family can get f*cked.

Advertisement