Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insulating between stud walls in attic

• 05-10-2019 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just looking for s bit of advice. I’m just finished a new build bungalow and while I was at it i studded out my attic I into a few rooms for if I need them down the line. Now I had off cuts of insulated plasterboard left over from the build so what I was planning on doing was to use these to cut and fit between the studs in the attic as insulation. Has anyone any thoughts on this? I started today and took a picture.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mccarthy.087

Hi,
    Just looking for s bit of advice. I’m just finished a new build bungalow and while I was at it i studded out my attic I into a few rooms for if I need them down the line. Now I had off cuts of insulated plasterboard left over from the build so what I was planning on doing was to use these to cut and fit between the studs in the attic as insulation. Has anyone any thoughts on this? I started today and took a picture.

Here are the pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

For what exactly? The stud walls are already within the warm space.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mccarthy.087

For what exactly? The stud walls are already within the warm space.

I just figured it would stand to me in the long run with regards to heating bills and also help reduce noise transporting between the rooms. Is it not the norm to insulate between studs? I assumed it mostly is done with wool so I was just going to use up my off cuts instead of buying wool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Not sure why you would do it unless you are insulating a bathroom....if in attic would you not have bigger transfer of noise down stairs?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

You would have been best to install a vapour barrier/air-tightness membrane in the warm side of the insulation before you studded out the space. Now you’ll always have uncontrolled drafts..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

BryanF wrote: »
    You would have been best to install a vapour barrier/air-tightness membrane in the warm side of the insulation before you studded out the space. Now you’ll always have uncontrolled drafts..

Wouldn't the spray foam insulation sort that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

SC024 wrote: »

What type of foam is it, open or closed cell?
    What's the rest of the build-up back out to the slates/roof tiles?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

SC024 wrote: »

Not really.

Advertisement