Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Discovery ***Season 3*** [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Stark wrote: »
    I think she brought him back for the ride. The whole "evil villain is pansexual AF" trope. I was kind of hoping she'd eat him.
    Maybe the sense of time was a bit screwy, but I thought she showed up elsewhere pretty quickly, but it's as plausible as any answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

Voyager was probably the worst offending series for "oh just happened to bump into X out here in the Delta quadrant" plot contrivances. Amelia Earhart, The Equinox, Chakotay's tribe, Torres's reprogrammed Cardassian missile, Q prison comet, the Ferengi from TNG's "The Price", The Raven, the duplicate Voyager from the Demon planet, the descendants of Earth's dinosaurs, Icheb's family, Lyndsay Ballard etc. You'd think the Delta quadrant was the size of an Earth city.

Of course, if the shows were realistic, nothing would happen, it would just be episode after episode of ship cruising through empty space.
    I think these three can be excepted because one party was actively looking for the other in these cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

The duplicate voyager - what was the issue there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Baggly wrote: »
    The duplicate voyager - what was the issue there?

At the very end, just after the ship explodes, the real Voyager happens to pass by the debris.

They had the same departure point from the planet, albeit there would have been different delays / advances in each ships progression, so would have had the same course - and the real Voyager picked up their distress signal, no? Seems plausable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭Rawr

I think she brought him back for the ride. The whole "evil villain is pansexual AF" trope. I was kind of hoping she'd eat him.

Didn't they do the same with Mirror Kira? (Aka The Intendant)
    It appeared that she'd ride damn near anything;
    Friend / enemy?
    Male / Female?
    Humanoid / Self Sealing Stem-bolt?
    ...didn't seem matter to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

pixelburp wrote: »
    Given how the minds of Hollywood executives usually work, what would be learned would be to insert marketable, cute sidekicks into future productions. I like the Mandalorian despite its own flaws, but sometimes the obvious "look at how cute baby Yoda is!!!" gets obnoxious

True enough, they'd probably learn the wrong lessons. Although I'd kinda forgotten about baby Yoda and it's still a very good show.

Not *perfect*, maybe, but what is. They got an awful lot right in terms of telling a new story in a familiar world. I've never been a massive Star Wars fan but I like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

pixelburp wrote: »
    Given how the minds of Hollywood executives usually work, what would be learned would be to insert marketable, cute sidekicks into future productions. I like the Mandalorian despite its own flaws, but sometimes the obvious "look at how cute baby Yoda is!!!" gets obnoxious
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

Still just at the start of S2 and this just is not getting any better for me. Had watched S2Ep3 and said ok thats enough for me, im done. Went back to it last night and said im giving this one more try and watched Ep4. This is poor. Does this show improve? Is it worth sticking with?

Glebee wrote: »
    Still just at the start of S2 and this just is not getting any better for me. Had watched S2Ep3 and said ok thats enough for me, im done. Went back to it last night and said im giving this one more try and watched Ep4. This is poor. Does this show improve? Is it worth sticking with?

If I remember correctly, episode 2 was a high point of season 2. So no, it doesn't really get better.

• Advertisement

If you're not interested in seeing just how bad it gets drop it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So with the Burn, does that mean Tilly's friend's home planet exploded?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

CastorTroy wrote: »

No, the dilithium became inert, not exploded. It's the ships that were at warp that exploded due to their dilithium failing.

Spear wrote: »
    No, the dilithium became inert, not exploded. It's the ships that were at warp that exploded due to their dilithium failing.
    They were pretty clear that the dilithium itself exploded, dumb as that is. If it was only ships at warp the starbase from the first episode wouldn't have a ship graveyard around it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭corkie

CastorTroy wrote: »

Po ~~ Tilly's friend ~~ Long probably dead before the 'Burn' event.

Only ships with an active warp core exploded (I think). The 'Dilithium' just went inactive in mines.
    ^^^ Edit: Just active not necessarily at Warp!

Star Trek Discovery Theory: The Cause of The Burn That Destabilized Dilithium

^^^
    "Because dilithium is a natural substance, it is best viewed as an unsustainable resource. Consequently, there have been multiple stories in which scientists have worked to find a way to "recrystallize" used dilithium, essentially allowing it to be reused. Po — Queen of the mining planet of Xahia — discovered one such technique in Star Trek: Discovery season 2, and Spock found another way to achieve this using nuclear fission in Star Trek: The Voyage Home. It's reasonable to assume recrystallizing dilithium would become more common as the centuries progressed, simply because it meant vast galactic powers like the Federation were able to depend on a renewable, inexhaustible resource. And this may provide the key to understanding the Burn."

Fan theory goes that freshly mined dilithium became scarce many years before and most ships were using recrystallised dilithium which was far more volatile. Makes sense as fan theories go, it's already established in canon that dilithium is a non renewable energy source and various references also in canon to experimental techniques for recrystallising spent dilithium.

Would explain why every planet with a dilithium mine didn't just explode or why there's still dilithium left in the universe, just not much of it.

Would it explain the simultaneous detonation of it all?

Dilithium isn't an energy source though. The warp core still needs a matter anti matter reaction (or something equally powerful) to power it. If for some reason dilithium did explode it causing a warp core breach as a secondary explosion makes some sense but that would affect all ships with a warp core because it's still active even when not at warp.

It's not an energy source, however using it does result it in being decrystallised so it can no longer be used unless it's recrystallised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

I have to say that I really disliked episode 1 of this series and it was looking like it was going to turn into Star Wars with everything hanging of Burnham but, that has changed and it has fairly dramatically improved as soon as they got out of that.

I’m very glad she’s picked up a more interesting guy than that moany, stalker Klingon though! At least Book was a bit more craic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Every now and again I remember just how much nerdier Trek fans can be :pac: Not playing the "who cares?" card or anything but we are also talking about an event from ~200 years prior to season 3, plugging the galaxy into a dark age. The retcon wiggle room would be how info on The Burn is exaggerated or hearsay.

They’re really glossing over those weird computer glitches...

I can’t imagine Captain Picard or Janeway just having a chat with the computer that appears to be drifting in and out of sentience and being more focused on planning a dinner party ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

440Hertz wrote: »
    They’re really glossing over those weird computer glitches...

I can’t imagine Captain Picard or Janeway just having a chat with the computer that appears to be drifting in and out of sentience and being more focused on planning a dinner party ...

Ya surely Saru knows as well as the rest of us that these things never end well

It's not an energy source, however using it does result it in being decrystallised so it can no longer be used unless it's recrystallised.
    Which the Federation had been doing for ~500 years before the Burn and it doesn't really explain the everywhere at once problem, presumably including some species 1st generation pure unrecrystalised dilithium warp drives.

It's baffling that for the third time in a row the big season long lynch pin event is almost pure nonsense given even three seconds of considering the logical consequences of it.

I guess TNG had a lot of problems with the Holodeck they usually glossed over for the first while ...

I agree, the Burn is starting to look a bit like the waffly explanation of the Spore Drive. I mean even the script is at this stage mocking flying through “mushroom space”.

Obviously, it’s sci-fi and obviously that requires a huge degree of suspension of disbelief, but they usually vaguely stuck to something that by a huge stretch of the imagination had some degree of logic to it.

That being said, the transporter technology has been destroying and recreating facsimiles of people for centuries, which seems to be overlooked for the sake of convenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Considering what tey just went up against in the previous season, you would think he'd be a nit more wary of the computer acting strange

Anyone else generally disappointed with the special effects in this show? Thinking of the exterior / space shots mostly.

I'm not sure if it's fair to blame the CGI work itself or maybe it's just the way it's presented. It's often technically very impressive, I suppose, but for instance in the most recent episode there's a
    seed ship
    and I honestly couldn't even begin to describe what it looked like. Just can't remember. There was a ship, and colourful space clouds, and another ship, with lights and stars and swirls all around, and the camera swooping by and up and over and down. No idea.

Including Picard we've had more than 3 full seasons of new Star Trek and none of the ships have really registered with me. It's like they're actively trying to avoid any establishing shots. Camera is always too far away, too close, or at some strange angle you need a few seconds just to figure out.

Far too much going on, far too quickly.

Could have done with some close ups of those future ships tbh.

Ep 5 - more crying. Sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Goodshape wrote: »
    Anyone else generally disappointed with the special effects in this show? Thinking of the exterior / space shots mostly.

I'm not sure if it's fair to blame the CGI work itself or maybe it's just the way it's presented. It's often technically very impressive, I suppose, but for instance in the most recent episode there's a
    seed ship
    and I honestly couldn't even begin to describe what it looked like. Just can't remember. There was a ship, and colourful space clouds, and another ship, with lights and stars and swirls all around, and the camera swooping by and up and over and down. No idea.

Including Picard we've had more than 3 full seasons of new Star Trek and none of the ships have really registered with me. It's like they're actively trying to avoid any establishing shots. Camera is always too far away, too close, or at some strange angle you need a few seconds just to figure out.

Far too much going on, far too quickly.

I miss when ships met calmly in space like this and nothing was spining or trying to burn your retinas

?u=https%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-ROAzyLxxl54%2FV-UJTGmK66I%2FAAAAAAAAA5E%2FjmxMm1CVGa0s9RN9G1kyesroBUU0Q2FhwCLcB%2Fs1600%2FHood_with_Enterprise-D.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Advertisement