Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Discovery ***Season 3*** [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Baggly wrote: »
    Could have done with some close ups of those future ships tbh.

Yeah, like did they not finish the models properly or something? Fleeting glances of a close up and some out of focus background shots, all sort of obscured by the blurry blue lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah I was all excited when I heard there was a "Voyager-J" but not a single good shot of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Could they not just drop the specs and diagrams on twitter or something after the episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

`Oh cool look at all these cool technological advances`

* director doesn't let us look at them *

breezy1985 wrote:
    Could they not just drop the specs and diagrams on twitter or something after the episode

I'd take that

• Advertisement

I'd take that

Ide prefer it to the episodes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"Songs of Kahless" on Instagram did a pretty nice "live action render" of the USS Titan after the Lower Decks episode. Would be pretty cool alright if they could do the same with blueprint specs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭pah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

Well, the Future Federation has gone to garbage! Maybe they turnout to be now run by some future Trump?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

pah wrote: »
    Someone on STD must have known how dumb that statement was right?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Evade wrote: »
    Someone on STD must have known how dumb that statement was right?

I think the wording was really badly done. I'd interpret it more practically to mean people were prohibited from going to the future to bring back info or tech to the past, much like we saw in a TNG episode. This would imply he'd oppose any attempt for Discovery to return to the 23rd century.

Spear wrote: »
    I think the wording was really badly done. I'd interpret it more practically to mean people were prohibited from going to the future to bring back info or tech to the past, much like we saw in a TNG episode. This would imply he'd oppose any attempt for Discovery to return to the 23rd century.
    That makes sense but his wording implies people from the future can alter the past if they like.

Spear wrote: »
    I think the wording was really badly done.

It's poor writing, one of many examples peppered throughout trek at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,937 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's poor writing, one of many examples peppered throughout trek at the moment.

Most irritating is this is the sort of direction they want. I mentioned before I keep finding Discovery to feel like the CW take on Star Trek - like Arrow, and Supergirl and such. There's nothing wrong with those approaches, but it just doesn't feel like trek... but that's exactly the tone I get from Discovery.

Anyway, googled the chap who wrote this episode (Sean Cochran), and all his experience is in sassy drama's like GCB (Good Christian Bitches) and Revenge. A fine resume for stuff, but just not the resume I want for trek.

It actually makes sense despite sounding stupid.
    Someone from the past can go to the future and see lets say a president he doesnt like so travel back to his own time and kill the president as a child

breezy1985 wrote: »
    It actually makes sense despite sounding stupid.
    Someone from the past can go to the future and see lets say a president he doesnt like so travel back to his own time and kill the president as a child
    True. But the way it's phrased makes it sound like someone from that future can legally travel back in time to kill the president he doesn't like as a child which causes just as many problems.

I think the only reason it was said the way it was, was because the writers were trying to shoehorn Discovery's situation into it. So they left it at the seemingly nonsensical 'people coming from the past to alter the future', which he followed up with; "You just being here is a violation".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭Rawr

I miss when ships met calmly in space like this and nothing was spining or trying to burn your retinas

?u=https%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-ROAzyLxxl54%2FV-UJTGmK66I%2FAAAAAAAAA5E%2FjmxMm1CVGa0s9RN9G1kyesroBUU0Q2FhwCLcB%2Fs1600%2FHood_with_Enterprise-D.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Just seeing that image I can instantly imagine that Excelsior-class calmly bank to the left of the screen while Enterprise glides forward. They used this sequence a few times didn't they?
    But yea, that future fleet shot was very difficult to make out. It was a visual mess and it was hard to make out what many of them even looked like, with many just looking like generic saucer sections. They even teased us with Voyager J but couldn't even show us the whole vessel.

I'm sick of beauty-shots of Discovery, it's a pugly ship and I'd rather have a better look at something else.

Rawr wrote: »
    Just seeing that image I can instantly imagine that Excelsior-class calmly bank to the left of the screen while Enterprise glides forward.
    And hearing that distinct Enterprise D low rumble.

Evade wrote: »
    And hearing that distinct Enterprise D low rumble.

Re-created in one of the best scenes in Lower Decks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But how were they to know about a treaty that didn't exist before they travelled through time?

It's a nitpicky thing for sure but it's the kind of thing that won't endear many trek fans to the show.

When in the history of time travel shenanigans has anyone ever travelled into the future to try and alter that future :confused:

It's a nitpicky thing for sure but it's the kind of thing that won't endear many trek fans to the show.

When in the history of time travel shenanigans has anyone ever travelled into the future to try and alter that future :confused:

In a weird bit of a way I suppose maybe the Voyager lads, going into the future to stop that guy Braxton from going into the past and bombing voyager.

That was still mostly past related though, and very different to the Disco situation though, where everyone knows it's a one-way thing and they're just stuck in the future.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    In a weird bit of a way I suppose maybe the Voyager lads, going into the future to stop that guy Braxton from going into the past and bombing voyager.

That was still mostly past related though, and very different to the Disco situation though, where everyone knows it's a one-way thing and they're just stuck in the future.

Unless they just warp backwards around the sun

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Back to the future 2.

Thanos in Endgame

About Time

Doctor Strange

Interstellar

Seven when she was recruited as a temporal agent

11/22/63

Harry Potter

Star Trek Generations (Kirk)

Lost in Space

Hot Tub Time Machine

Looper

Xmen Days of Future Past

All of the above match that description but are just top of my head so open to hole poking.....however the wording, as discussed previously, is just terrible; is open to a lot of interpretation.

Thanos in Endgame

I looked at the list very quickly and was sure this said
    Thomas the tank engine

I looked at the list very quickly and was sure this said
    Thomas the tank engine
    a8kn1bt96ml31.jpg

Thomas shortly after arriving on Sodor c2,222 seeing the Fat Controller XIV's decadent regime.

Thanos in Endgame

About Time

Doctor Strange

Interstellar

Seven when she was recruited as a temporal agent

11/22/63

Harry Potter

Star Trek Generations (Kirk)

Lost in Space

Hot Tub Time Machine

Looper

Xmen Days of Future Past

All of the above match that description but are just top of my head so open to hole poking.....however the wording, as discussed previously, is just terrible; is open to a lot of interpretation.

These are mostly going into the past to change the present though... the poster said people going from the present to the future to mess with things there, in the future. Thanos and Seven are I think the two that match that.

But yeah, the wording yer man used could only logically be used for someone then going back into the past, which our Disco lads can't do anyway.

• Advertisement

True story the train at the end of BTTF3 was Thomas.

Advertisement