Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Discovery ***Season 3*** [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Baggly wrote: »
    I'm done. Such bs. Tilly. TILLY.

And more Burnham unilateral decisions.

Just cut her loose and go do some missions.

SOMEONE THROW THE BOOK AT HER INSTEAD OF EMOTING AT HER.

Is this ep 6 or 7 you are talking about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Gonna watch it tomorrow but I gave up hope after the seed episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I liked ep. 7.

:shrug:

Oh God no they didn’t did they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

I take it that I'm not missing anything, I gave up half way through the episode on Trill.

Oh God no they didn’t did they?

I just had to laugh to be honest. Found it genuinely amusing. So far gone that I might as well just go with it.

And the rest of the episode was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Please no spoilers for episode 7, some of us are on Netflix schedule.

Stark wrote: »
    Please no spoilers for episode 7, some of us are on Netflix schedule.

That’s why I didn’t want to specifically ask, but if it is what I think it is then it’s probably time to end my viewing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm only on episode 6, which I thought was the strongest episode so far. I've given up on that episode threads cos the constant pedantic deconstruction gets much; I respect that we all have opinions, but I've wondered if some are seeking negatives beyond those the show present.

Without spoiling specifics, the episodes strength lies in it finally showing some repercussions for Burnham's actions; it goes a long way, not least for revealing the writers are at least vaguely aware their lead character is a loose canon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

pixelburp wrote: »
    I've given up on that episode threads cos the constant pedantic deconstruction gets much; I respect that we all have opinions, but I've wondered if some are seeking negatives beyond those the show present.
    I understand where you're coming from. There are definitely some posters making an effort to find positives (usually with some counterpoints in the same post!), but no one gets worked up over the positives, so the griping dominates. It doesn't bother me, but to each his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

I'd never have thought or even considered 99% of the complaining that goes on in here.

I gave it a chance and have defended it previously but its just getting silly in parts. I'm allowed to have my opinion and I've been patient in forming it. I don't see why it would be immune to criticism.

Comparing this even to Picard is like looking at night and day. It's totally disjointed and top heavy episode to episode.

I gave it a chance and have defended it previously but its just getting silly in parts. I'm allowed to have my opinion and I've been patient in forming it. I don't see why it would be immune to criticism.

Comparing this even to Picard is like looking at night and day. It's totally disjointed and top heavy episode to episode.

Theres a whole group on the TrekBBS forum that cant have anything bad said about it and rate every episode 9 or 10 out of 10. People quoting them as all time best Trek episodes.

They have answers for every bad plot or decision that would put conspiracy nuts to shame

Anything will come out looking good when compared to Picard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Goodshape wrote: »
    I liked ep. 7.

:shrug:

How are people watching eposide 7? When I check Netflix I only have up to eposide 6.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    How are people watching eposide 7? When I check Netflix I only have up to eposide 6.

I asked the same question. It's the US timeline.

Now, this may be by illegal means, so basically they are the mirrorverse version of us :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I never said the show shouldn't be immune to criticism; what I mean was that I can't read the Episode threads anymore because they all read like solid examples of the "Hate Watch" now, tearing after every small blip for funsies. It's just boring to read now, and don't find the threads that interesting anymore. It's not unique to Trek but I couldn't be bothered engaging with that approach. Hate watching can be fun in small doses but not an entire forum.

I never said the show shouldn't be immune to criticism; what I mean was that I can't read the Episode threads anymore because they all read like solid examples of the "Hate Watch" now, tearing after every small blip for funsies. It's just boring to read now, and don't find the threads that interesting anymore. It's not unique to Trek but I couldn't be bothered engaging with that approach. Hate watching can be fun in small doses but not an entire forum.

My post was in response to the poster immediately before me rather than your post, but fair enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

The problem with discussing STD is the highs are middling at best so the lows get focused on.

• Advertisement

Evade wrote: »
    The problem with discussing STD is the highs are middling at best so the lows get focused on.

I'm surprised the most recent episode has been so poorly received, so far. Like there's that one glaringly silly thing they did, which everyone seems to be exclusively focusing on. But the rest of the episode was pretty cool, no?

And yeah, Burnham was in the middle of everything again but she is the star of the show. Beating the dead horse complaining about that.

Aside from those two blips, I thought the continuation of the Unification story was satisfying. The courtroom / ceremony stuff was classic Trek and much better than last weeks Doctor Who style planet escape.

But yeah, the lows get focused on. They are pretty deep lows, I suppose.

I'm surprised the most recent episode has been so poorly received, so far. Like there's that one glaringly silly thing they did, which everyone seems to be exclusively focusing on. But the rest of the episode was pretty cool, no?

And yeah, Burnham was in the middle of everything again but she is the star of the show. Beating the dead horse complaining about that.

Aside from those two blips, I thought the continuation of the Unification story was satisfying. The courtroom / ceremony stuff was classic Trek and much better than last weeks Doctor Who style planet escape.

But yeah, the lows get focused on. They are pretty deep lows, I suppose.

That episode had a nice clip of Spock and a good argument between some diplomats. That was about 5 minutes in a show that spent the next 40 telling Burnham and Tilly they are special through teary eyes and whispers. So that's about 10% of the episode that wasn't crap

If I served on that ship I'd request a transfer day 1 the second I see them all moping round the corridors crying all the time. I wouldn't trust any of them mentally if a battle started

breezy1985 wrote: »
    That episode had a nice clip of Spock and a good argument between some diplomats. That was about 5 minutes in a show that spent the next 40 telling Burnham and Tilly they are special through teary eyes and whispers. So that's about 10% of the episode that wasn't crap

If I served on that ship I'd request a transfer day 1 the second I see them all moping round the corridors crying all the time. I wouldn't trust any of them mentally if a battle started

Felt the other way around to me. A few silly scenes with Tilly becoming XO but most of it was good courtroom stuff with the diplomats. I was also just really happy that
    they resolved the mother-Burnham story without it being the cause of and solution to absolutely everything
    . I was in a good mood with the episode after that reveal. I'd been expecting the worst from that arc.

Felt the other way around to me. A few silly scenes with Tilly becoming XO but most of it was good courtroom stuff with the diplomats. I was also just really happy that
    they resolved the mother-Burnham story without it being the cause of and solution to absolutely everything
    . I was in a good mood with the episode after that reveal. I'd been expecting the worst from that arc.

Same about the mother thing. But there was no courtroom drama because after 5 seconds it because not about the facts but the contents of Michael's heart

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Michael would sicken your hole now, Burn this, Burn that .... wah wah wah

Michael would sicken your hole now, Burn this, Burn that .... wah wah wah

150 years and no one else though of looking

150 years and no one else though of looking

Well ain't that a specific criticism easily levelled at any work of fiction? Why is it the lead characters are always the ones to solve the problem / save the world / become the Chosen One? Cos they're the lead characters :pac:

Besides, the Burn sounds so cataclysmic, I daresay many planets and power structures were barely managing to stay afloat, let alone rationalise the whys or hows. Look at the Federation: before Discovery added a new string to its bow it sounds like it was struggling to keep its nose in front of events.

I'm sure some folk tried looking into what happened, but with the galaxy effectively now lawless, and the means to travel/communicate severely reduced, who'd have the means to do it properly?

Well ain't that a specific criticism easily levelled at any work of fiction? Why is it the lead characters are always the ones to solve the problem / save the world / become the Chosen One? Cos they're the lead characters :pac:

Besides, the Burn sounds so cataclysmic, I daresay many planets and power structures were barely managing to stay afloat, let alone rationalise the whys or hows. Look at the Federation: before Discovery added a new string to its bow it sounds like it was struggling to keep its nose in front of events.

I'm sure some folk tried looking into what happened, but with the galaxy effectively now lawless, and the means to travel/communicate severely reduced, who'd have the means to do it properly?

No it's not a specific criticism easily leveled at any work of fiction.

Usually in Star Trek or Sci-fi the universe wide threat is immediate and that's why the hero of the day steps up people don't sit on their arses for 150 years waiting for the hero. What she done wasn't hard to work out or something that only Discovery could do through special knowledge it was just a few black boxes that no one outside Burnham seems to remember ships have

No it's not a specific criticism easily leveled at any work of fiction.

Usually in Star Trek or Sci-fi the universe wide threat is immediate and that's why the hero of the day steps up people don't sit on their arses for 150 years waiting for the hero. What she done wasn't hard to work out or something that only Discovery could do through special knowledge it was just a few black boxes that no one outside Burnham seems to remember ships have

But then that's what I"ve said in the following paragraphs: this isn't a "threat" - the Burn literally happened faster than whole organisations could handle the fallout. Planets - presumably entire systems - collapsed because in a relative instant their economies and societies collapsed from the sudden loss of supplies, communications and basic infrastructure. I find it perfectly believable that yeah, in the desperate scramble to keep heads above water, no time or bandwidth was given to investigate the issue. 150 years is a long time sure, but I guess within that vacuum warlords et al inserted themselves, disinterested in "solving" the problem. R&D kinda goes out the window when the galaxy becomes - in effect - post-apocalyptic.

• Advertisement

But then that's what I"ve said in the following paragraphs: this isn't a "threat" - the Burn literally happened faster than whole organisations could handle the fallout. Planets - presumably entire systems - collapsed because in a relative instant their economies and societies collapsed from the sudden loss of supplies, communications and basic infrastructure. I find it perfectly believable that yeah, in the desperate scramble to keep heads above water, no time or bandwidth was given to investigate the issue. 150 years is a long time sure, but I guess within that vacuum warlords et al inserted themselves, disinterested in "solving" the problem. R&D kinda goes out the window when the galaxy becomes - in effect - post-apocalyptic.

But if solving the burn does what Burnham says it will do and bring the galaxy back together then not solving it was a threat to the galaxy.

But Burnham believes in her heart harder than anyone else thats why only she can do it. It's like a bloody Disney movie

Advertisement