Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Discovery ***Season 3*** [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,236 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

breezy1985 wrote: »
    You just want TV to be straight white people like when you were a kid. Don't pretend it's about anything other than that

Oh damn, you like totally caught me out!
    In my terror I have just spilt some earl grey on my Nazi uniform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I JUST REALISED THAT THE ADMIRAL IS THE GIGOLO FROM DEUCE BIGALOW MALE GIGOLO !!! DO YOU RECKON HE IS GOING TO GET THE G STRING OUT AND HIT THE STRIPPER POLE TO SAVE THE UNIVERSE IN THE FINAL EPISODE ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Stop shouting.

And yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

New use for programmable matter.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Baggly wrote: »
    Stop shouting.

And yes.

Don't be ridiculous, this is Star Trek: Discovery!:eek:

Clearly Burnham will do any pole dancing that is required to save the universe.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As if Burnham would lower herself to pole dancing.

She'll discover that the mysterious music actually enables poles to dance by themselves, thus saving the universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭corkie

David Cronenberg on His Mysterious ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Role: ‘I Still Haven’t Figured Everything Out’ (EXCLUSIVE)

"While Cronenberg isn’t sure what his next directing project will be — he says he’s seeking to finance three projects he’s written, two features and one series — he does know what his next acting gig will be. Variety can exclusively report that along with appearing in more episodes in Season 3 of “Discovery,” Cronenberg will return to for Season 4."

So appearing more in discovery, kind rules out an ongoing role or appearance in S31 Show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A candid "why not?" from Cronenberg; his presence has been very weird and unexpected, in a good way.

Finished up episode 8 there last night, another solid episode if never properly flirting with being actually excellent. Which has been the case throughout the season; but on thinking of the series as a whole this is the first run that has felt consistent. One single purpose and direction, come what may. As opposed to the chaotic first season, or second that was marginally less so. I watch it without that lingering sense of "now what??"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

pixelburp wrote: »
    A candid "why not?" from Cronenberg; his presence has been very weird and unexpected, in a good way.

Finished up episode 8 there last night, another solid episode if never properly flirting with being actually excellent. Which has been the case throughout the season; but on thinking of the series as a whole this is the first run that has felt consistent. One single purpose and direction, come what may. As opposed to the chaotic first season, or second that was marginally less so. I watch it without that lingering sense of "now what??"

I’d agree it was a solid unflush-able captains log of an episode.

I find the over acting in the mirror universe too much.
    Every camera angle has some one with a malevolent sneer, it's like watching some evil Disney witch.

Evil Burnham might as well be a snake they way she slithers about in every scene...it's just too much to be believable.

As for the plot... Wouldn't Culber be more useful to georgiou rather than a science officer? I guess that would require an episode that wasn't Burnham centric.

The admiral is turning into a bit of a hollow character, from a good start he now just does what Burnham wants. I'm also not sure why Saru would bring Burnham to that meeting with the admiral...?

I'm eager to understand what's going on with the Discovery computer and where they are going to take it.

• Advertisement

If they have personal transporters why didn’t Mikey S and Georgeo just beam to the door instead of walking through Canada ?

If they have personal transporters why didn’t Mikey S and Georgeo just beam to the door instead of walking through Canada ?

Subspace distortion in the plot holes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I was thinking that at the time too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I was thinking that at the time too

Georgiou's medical bracelet also doubles as a fitbit, and she needed to make up her steps for the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,937 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I have a lot of problems with this show, and plenty with this episode - but that didn’t bother me.

I can totally buy that if you’re heading down into some weird temporal/transuniversal situation recommended by a sentient computer, and where you‘ve no idea what you’re walking into, that you go down a bit away and walk the last bit so you can get the lay of the land. Doesn’t seem wise to beam directly into the middle of an unknown.

I was watching an episode of enterprise and noticed that a Vulcan ship was called the nivar same as the new name for Vulcan on std.

After the last episode of std and the prime and Kelvin universe discussion I wondered how the Vulcan planet is still there, wasn’t it destroyed in the jj film.

I was watching an episode of enterprise and noticed that a Vulcan ship was called the nivar same as the new name for Vulcan on std.

After the last episode of std and the prime and Kelvin universe discussion I wondered how the Vulcan planet is still there, wasn’t it destroyed in the jj film.

Aren’t they in the prime universe, where Vulcan is fine, versus in the Kelvin universe where it’s kaput?

Also it felt weird that they specifically called the Mirror Universe by that name... that’s what we call it cause it’s wacky campy upside down land, but doesn’t make sense for them to call it that too, any more than any other of the theoretically infinite timelines/universes.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Aren’t they in the prime universe, where Vulcan is fine, versus in the Kelvin universe where it’s kaput?

Also it felt weird that they specifically called the Mirror Universe by that name... that’s what we call it cause it’s wacky campy upside down land, but doesn’t make sense for them to call it that too, any more than any other of the theoretically infinite timelines/universes.

I don’t know but Romulus did explode wasn’t that which prompted the joining. There are so many plots holes in this it’s ridiculous.

Ni'Var (starship)

Ni'Var <<< Planet previously Vulcan

As others have said Vulcan destroyed in 'Kelvin Universe' and not in Prime which confirms which universe the show is in.

I don’t know but Romulus did explode wasn’t that which prompted the joining. There are so many plots holes in this it’s ridiculous.

Romulus being destroyed was in Picard waaay after the time of Kirk, TOS etc, so was unrelated to all that Kelvin nonsense.

• Advertisement

Romulus being destroyed was in Picard waaay after the time of Kirk, TOS etc, so was unrelated to all that Kelvin nonsense.

The Kelvin line came from that

The Kelvin line came from that

"Romulus was destroyed in 2387 when its sun exploded in a supernova, splitting the planet in half."
    ^^^ https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Romulus

Picard referenced the same event as in the 2009 film.

"The FNN interview begins with a capsule biography of Picard. The interviewer, Richter, asks him about the supernova that destroyed Romulus in 2387."
    ^^^ https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Remembrance_(episode)

corkie wrote: »
    "Romulus was destroyed in 2387 when its sun exploded in a supernova, splitting the planet in half."
    ^^^ https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Romulus

Picard referenced the same event as in the 2009 film.

"The FNN interview begins with a capsule biography of Picard. The interviewer, Richter, asks him about the supernova that destroyed Romulus in 2387."
    ^^^ https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Remembrance_(episode)

Picard on Amazon is muck, I’m talking about the first jj Star Trek movie that’s were the Kelvin timeline was introduced.

Picard on Amazon is muck, I’m talking about the first jj Star Trek movie that’s were the Kelvin timeline was introduced.

Ah of course, I forgot about the Romulus event happening in that movie’s future, leading to yer man going back in time to Kirk’s era.

What's the confusion?

Romulus exploded thanks to a supernova.

Nero goes back in time to seek revenge and fcuk **** up, so the Kelvin timeline is born.

Prime universe continues with Spock presumed dead during the supernova blast.

Kelvin universe develops taste for lens flare.

Same issue when Book was looking for Saru I think, we have gone from fish head teleporting everywhere to back to people walking everywhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Shades of the 'aul "why don't they call the Avengers?" argument used in the various MCU once-off films; the obvious answer is "well then you don't have much of a story", but my headcanon simply rationalises that prolonged or constant use of the personal transporters can cause <insert medical issues here>. That and just pinging from one end of your ship to the other, rather than walking, would probably be a massive social faux-pax. And it'd just increase the possibility of horrible accidents with matter trying to occupy the same space.

One thing I've never quite got used to with Discovery as a series - and is something the future setting has only increased - is the ship designs. Or lack thereof. I've actually always liked Discovery's own design, eccentric as it is. The spinning is a bit dumb but the overall design works as something different, but still Trek. Nicer to look at than the Oberth class etc.

The future ships though ... eh, I dunno. I kinda get what they're going for with the idea of reactive modules changing shape; that the ships themselves are programmable matter too. But the execution means my eyes are constantly trying to work out what I'm even looking at. Book's ship has a weird shape that changes so much; ít's like Michael Bay's Transformers, where the robots are big chaotic jumbles of metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Shades of the 'aul "why don't they call the Avengers?" argument used in the various MCU once-off films; the obvious answer is "well then you don't have much of a story", but my headcanon simply rationalises that prolonged or constant use of the personal transporters can cause <insert medical issues here>. That and just pinging from one end of your ship to the other, rather than walking, would probably be a massive social faux-pax. And it'd just increase the possibility of horrible accidents with matter trying to occupy the same space.

I'm sure those things must have failsafe checks to prevent accidents like two people materialising in the same place. Otherwise Linus would have materialised in the space outside the hull by now.

Stark wrote: »
    I'm sure those things must have failsafe checks to prevent accidents like two people materialising in the same place. Otherwise Linus would have materialised in the space outside the hull by now.

Not much point trying to make sense of these things as the writers don’t Star Trek is no longer sci fi it’s just fantasy.

• Advertisement

One thing I've never quite got used to with Discovery as a series - and is something the future setting has only increased - is the ship designs. Or lack thereof. I've actually always liked Discovery's own design, eccentric as it is. The spinning is a bit dumb but the overall design works as something different, but still Trek. Nicer to look at than the Oberth class etc.

The future ships though ... eh, I dunno. I kinda get what they're going for with the idea of reactive modules changing shape; that the ships themselves are programmable matter too. But the execution means my eyes are constantly trying to work out what I'm even looking at. Book's ship has a weird shape that changes so much; ít's like Michael Bay's Transformers, where the robots are big chaotic jumbles of metal.

The discovery was created years ago by actual Star Trek people, it was part of a comic or something. The new ships were created by this bad robot lot.

Advertisement