Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bride and groom getting fired on Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I think there's a point being missed here. I personally think they will be fired and probably should be fired. Everyone has a right to say whatever they want at a private function, however, rights come with responsibilities too. You can say whatever bigoted thing that enters your mind against Catholics, Protestants, black people, Jews or Muslims but you also have to accept that there might be certain consequences too it. Say these things to a small group of people and some of them may not find you good company anymore. If I say something bigoted and post it on social media then I have to accept that a lot of employers might have trouble hiring or keeping me. It's not a matter of being offended it's just a matter of not wanting to employ people who are racist, sectarian or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Cabaal wrote: »
    Decent?
    :rolleyes:

err not sure about decent. You know when a big multinational company spills millions of liters of oil and kills wildlife or when they put stuff in food and it kills people? Well they hire a nice smiley PR person.

The current pope is the Vatican's smiley PR guy, "hired" so they can try handle the decades of sexual abuse they knew about and that they covered up. After all the people hated Ratzinger, he was just unlikable across the board.

Many people think he's "decent enough" or nice and that he says progressive things. But at the end of it all nothing has changed in the Vatican.

They have still refused to compensation the many, many millions they owe abuse victims. They still refuse to co-operate with worldwide investigations including with the UN and they still hold numerous backward views.

So all in all, he's far from "decent". Very far from it.

As for the wedding, those people are full of hate and show just how backwards many in the north can be on both sides.

While I personally agree that the pope can indeed go f*** himself, I wouldn't waste a lovely day like a wedding expressing such a view.

And blah blah blah - now, about that attractive woman in the red dress - can you or can you not put me in touch?

Because if you cannot, then kindly run along and stop wasting my time by making me sift through the contents of your colon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Eh having drank in some pubs in Derry and west Belfast the same song is sang just replace with queen and ruc/uvf/ etc

It’s a common thing both sides of the “divide” in NI

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

splinter65 wrote: »
    I have absolutely no doubt that both of them behave with perfect professionalism at work.

You have no idea how they behave at work, you are just making stuff up now unless you know them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If I was an employer would i want these working for me? Not a hope.

What happened, happened in a private function but the second it was put on the internet they were ****ed and they should have know the risk with smart phones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I think there's a point being missed here. I personally think they will be fired and probably should be fired. Everyone has a right to say whatever they want at a private function, however, rights come with responsibilities too. You can say whatever bigoted thing that enters your mind against Catholics, Protestants, black people, Jews or Muslims but you also have to accept that there might be certain consequences too it. Say these things to a small group of people and some of them may not find you good company anymore. If I say something bigoted and post it on social media then I have to accept that a lot of employers might have trouble hiring or keeping me. It's not a matter of being offended it's just a matter of not wanting to employ people who are racist, sectarian or whatever.
    Ah they will fit right in amongst the general sectarian scum of NI, nothing to be surprised about. I hope all of their married days are cursed with infedelity and pubic crabs

You have no idea how they behave at work, you are just making stuff up now unless you know them.

Exactly. Going by the video there’s no way of knowing how they act when in their workplace but the video does show how they behave outside of work and to me that would be enough to terminate their contracts.

Exactly. Going by the video there’s no way of knowing how they act when in their workplace but the video does show how they behave outside of work and to me that would be enough to terminate their contracts.

If I behaved like those 2 ***** in a video my employer had seen, I’d be fully expecting to be fired before lunch time Monday. Depends if the employer is as retarded as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What's more scary than the idiots in the video are the people in this thread going after people's livelihood, calling for them to be fired.
    When that kind of thinking gets a foothold then democracy is really circling the drain.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    What's more scary than the idiots in the video are the people in this thread going after people's livelihood, calling for them to be fired.
    When that kind of thinking gets a foothold then democracy is really circling the drain.

It’s called cancel culture and what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Forty Seven

biko wrote: »

Democracy has been circling the drain for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The fact that they are civil servants is a big part of it. Anyone working for the state has to uphold a higher standard than normal. I don't think they should be fired but there should be consequences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I don't like Belfast or it's people, I was at George Best airport a few months ago and an Ulster-Scot wasn't pleased at the shop being called "House of Ireland", he said it should be called "House of Britain". There's nothing more I dislike in this world than the people I have to share Ulster with.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What's democracy got to do with anything here?

The bride and many in crowd seem to be on something. From the clip I suspect meth and cocaine - police need to investigate that whole wedding. People are saying she’s a nurse? Would she have access to hard drugs through her work?

Also. Is it not suspicious that they entered to simply the best - this is a “slogan” for one of the loyalist terrorist groups - it would make one wonder are they signaling their membership of the group if they have it as the “main song” of their wedding. Lots there for the PSNI to go on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Ah they will fit right in amongst the general sectarian scum of NI, nothing to be surprised about. I hope all of their married days are cursed with infedelity and pubic crabs

A generation ago everyone was sectarian here, outsiders have no room to be commenting as they don't live in a divided community, it is easy to have the moral high ground when you weren't forced to be a British citizen by unionists getting their crayons out on a map. I'd rather be viewed as a bigot than be friends with unionists and feel like a traitor to my ancestors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Not sure what the problem is. I don't like the pope or the IRA either. I wouldn't be singing it at my wedding though.
    Much the same.

But I've no problem with someone else celebrating their wedding while similarly indicating contempt for terrorism and fraudulent religious figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not sure what the problem is. I don't like the pope or the IRA either. I wouldn't be singing it at my wedding though.

You too are missing the point.

As explained on numerous occasions, the Pope and the IRA are only used for the song, but it is basically anti-Catholic and anti-nationalist. A song of hatred against their neighbours and work colleagues who might have different beliefs or views than themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The people who think this couple were taking some sort of anti Catholic Church / anti terrorist stand, need to take a few minutes to think about what's really going on in that video.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »

As explained on numerous occasions, the Pope and the IRA are only used for the song, but it is basically anti-Catholic and anti-nationalist. A song of hatred against their neighbours and work colleagues who might have different beliefs or views than themselves.
    Nobody misses the point that their neighbours might be caught in the same time warp.

But if I'm expected to be horrified at disrespect for the Pope or the IRA, I can't do it. If the Pope actually matters to someone, they're delusional. The Catholic Church isn't an institution worth defending.

Maybe if we'd figured that out sooner, Ireland would be a different place. We might have avoided a few dead ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭Damien360

It’s a song. Anyone singing it should be laughed at. Why has everything in NI got to be taken so seriously ? At some point someone has to look at the songs as childish nonsense and ignore them.

I’m in NI meeting customers at least twice a week on average and I don’t see this ****e. My NI friends tell me theres still an undercurrent of hatred on each side. I honestly have only seen this contempt/hatred once in about 20 years of travel to NI directed at me. They backed down quickly when I innocently stopped for directions after seeing the mouthed comments. Scared the crap out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I would guess many on here who are saying, "sure they are doing no harm, nothing to see here" would be the first to be shouting and ranting if there was a similar video that was anti-black or anti-gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Allinall

A generation ago everyone was sectarian here, outsiders have no room to be commenting as they don't live in a divided community, it is easy to have the moral high ground when you weren't forced to be a British citizen by unionists getting their crayons out on a map. I'd rather be viewed as a bigot than be friends with unionists and feel like a traitor to my ancestors.

A generation ago?

Judging by your couple of posts in this thread, it appears to be the case right now.

I would guess many on here who are saying, "sure they are doing no harm, nothing to see here" would be the first to be shouting and ranting if there was a similar video that was anti-black or anti-gay.
    Hang on, it would be like gays claiming they are horrified and insulted by someone saying "screw Christian Brothers running boys schools".

I think the Pope is head of a fake religion. That doesn't exclude me from public jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Allinall wrote: »
    A generation ago?

Judging by your couple of posts in this thread, it appears to be the case right now.
    Id ignore this fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Balf wrote: »
    Nobody misses the point that their neighbours might be caught in the same time warp.

But if I'm expected to be horrified at disrespect for the Pope or the IRA, I can't do it. If the Pope actually matters to someone, they're delusional. The Catholic Church isn't an institution worth defending.

Maybe if we'd figured that out sooner, Ireland would be a different place. We might have avoided a few dead ends.

I think you are missing the point.
    The Belfast Telegraph explains it well
    “ The song was once used as an anthem by Johnny Adair and his UDA 'C Company' and is regularly adopted by loyalists.”

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/carrickfergus-hotel-defends-staff-for-not-stopping-f-the-pope-and-the-ira-chants-at-wedding-reception-38567655.html

ted1 wrote: »
    I think you are missing the point.
    The Belfast Telegraph explains it well
    “ The song was once used as an anthem by Johnny Adair and his UDA 'C Company' and is regularly adopted by loyalists.”

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/carrickfergus-hotel-defends-staff-for-not-stopping-f-the-pope-and-the-ira-chants-at-wedding-reception-38567655.html
    No, that is fully understood.

You are missing the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I wouldn’t think so either to be honest. At a football match anyone can turn up and there are opposing sides in a much larger venue. At an occasion like a wedding it’s invite only, and everyone there is more likely to share the same values as opposed to people who weren’t invited, which is where all of the criticism is coming from - people who weren’t there and have no connection whatsoever to these people.

There’s a definitive commonality among the group of critics though which could only be best described as group think and seeking approval from the group of their fellow critics. There’s plenty of hatred on display among the comments criticising the people at the wedding and zeroing in on the couple in question, going beyond just criticism into histrionics and blowing things out of proportion.

You probably don’t see it though because you’re on the side of righteous indignation, but there’s been plenty of it in just this thread alone.

How small must your world be to only have guests are your wedding who share your values and loyalties.

That is one of the saddest posts I've ever read here.

I'm shocked by this video because whilst people have often told me how backward folks are up the north I've honestly never met anyone like that from the north and I've met plenty.

Personally if I was a guest at that wedding I'd have left right there and then regardless of what side of the fence I was on because it's a day for happiness not hatred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,443 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The bride and many in crowd seem to be on something. From the clip I suspect meth and cocaine - police need to investigate that whole wedding. People are saying she’s a nurse? Would she have access to hard drugs through her work?

Also. Is it not suspicious that they entered to simply the best - this is a “slogan” for one of the loyalist terrorist groups - it would make one wonder are they signaling their membership of the group if they have it as the “main song” of their wedding. Lots there for the PSNI to go on.

jesus christ I'd say you're on something.
    Is it tacky? christ yeah...scummy...yep but you think that all those irish people singing to the wolfe tones in bars up and down the country "ooh ahh up the ra" etc are equally as bad? Maybe we should all get them fired and tested for drugs....ffs this is one of the idiotic comments I've read on boards and in this day and age that takes some effort.

Advertisement