Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bride and groom getting fired on Monday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

What could the police possibly get involved for?

Hate crime, incitement to hatred. No idea best you ask the PSNI since they are investigating not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It does not seem any different to people shouting Sinn Fein/IRA after sections of 'The Fields of Athenry'

After - 'the loves were on the wing' - 'Sinn Fein'

After - 'we had dreams and songs to sing' - 'IRA'

Were all the people in the crowd in that concert sacked on Monday?

Also in Glasgow they sang the song to have a 'death party' when Maggie Thatcher died 2013 complete with the Sinn Fein/IRA chants . Were those people sacked on a Monday?

I don't think either side of the divide can get too 'holler than thou' about singing songs with political/sectarian chants in them.
    It is what they were rared on.
    Personally I would much rather see songs like that rather than bullets flying again as it gives a release for those types who need it.

Also how many Irish people are really entrenched in the provo-IRA mentality 5%? How many even go to mass and care about the Pope?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    This thread is a ceasepool of liberal snowflakes.
    You sound upset.

Hate crime, incitement to hatred. No idea best you ask the PSNI since they are investigating not me.

Ha jesus. I didn't realise it was a hate crime to say **** the IRA. You could argue that **** the Pope might be a little religiously insensitive but if it is a case that this counts as a hate crime, we're all ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭buried

I don't think either side of the divide can get too 'holler than thou' about singing songs with political/sectarian chants in them.

Plenty of us want to see the 'divide' gone for good and forever.

But there is fat chance of that when you have public service TEACHERS in schools holding bigoted sectarian beliefs with such energy and twisted belief.

It's no wonder the war could grimly kick off again real soon if this is the sort of trash employed to supposedly 'educate' the community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

It does not seem any different to people shouting Sinn Fein/IRA in between verses of 'The Fields of Athenry'

After - the loves was on the wing - 'Sinn Fein'

After - we had dreams and songs to sing - 'IRA'

Were all the people in the crowd in that concert sacked on Monday?

Also in Glasgow they sang the song to have a 'death party' when Maggie Thatcher died 2013 complete with the Sinn Fein/IRA chants . Were those people sacked on a Monday?

It is what they were rared on.
    Personally I would much rather see songs like that rather than bullets flying again as it gives a release for those types who need it.

Also how many Irish people are really entrenched in the provo-IRA mentality 5%? How many even go to mass and care about the Pope?

First video was 2006 and the second was 2013, the internet culture and even the power of police ect have changed hugely since then.

The primary issue is not should we condemn sectarianism, we should always condemn it but mob outrage online and trial by mob needs to be looked into.

Since these video emerged we know who these individuals are, we know what they work as and we know that the wife had cancer and her spot on a charity video was pulled because of it.

Ha jesus. I didn't realise it was a hate crime to say **** the IRA. You could argue that **** the Pope might be a little religiously insensitive but if it is a case that this counts as a hate crime, we're all ****ed.

Again ask the PSNI maybe they have a different criteria than some anonymous person on boards. Who knows?

buried wrote: »

But there is fat chance of that when you have public service TEACHERS in schools holding bigoted sectarian beliefs with such energy and twisted belief.

It's no wonder the war could grimly kick off again real soon if this is the sort of trash employed to supposedly 'educate' the community.

Its amazing what you can gleam from one short clip.

I doubt he/she sings this as they are teaching. It is possible to hold a ****ty view yet still be a fantastic educator.

I think you are reading a lot into it.

Again ask the PSNI maybe they have a different criteria than some anonymous person on boards. Who knows?

No thanks, enough of their time has been wasted with people reporting this clip. I was just asking your opinion. It's ok if you don't want to tell us. Sure, holding the wrong opinion is enough to get you fired these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

Don't think it's a big deal. Do yee not sing rebels songs at a sing song?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Again your looking at this from the eyes of someone down the south. Maybe your from the north but considering how volatile it is up the north and the context of the song being played it is possibly why it falls under this category.

Context is key and under normal circumstances saying the words on their own people wouldn't bat an eyelid especially down the south as normally the catholic religion is fair game.

You could argue that people are placing to much weight on how the people of the north will react but considering the climate we are currently operating in with Brexit it explains it.

Its amazing what you can gleam from one short clip.

I doubt he/she sings this as they are teaching. It is possible to hold a ****ty view yet still be a fantastic educator.

I think you are reading a lot into it.

Really? Give us some examples then of these fantastic educators that hold sectarian bigoted views?

How do you know that they just did not get carried away in the chant?
    How many Irish people who do not even vote Sinn Fein or support provos/dissident groups have shouted 'Sinn Fein' 'IRA' during the fields of Athenry song?

That sort of thing will always be there is part and parcel of the culture/history of this island.
    There will always be divides in societies and hardliners on both sides.

It could kick off again not because of eejits like this at a wedding - but young lads who feel disenfranchised from society, and just want excitement and to belong to a 'cause'.
    That is how it will start again - Brexit will be the excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

No thanks, enough of their time has been wasted with people reporting this clip. I was just asking your opinion. It's ok if you don't want to tell us. Sure, holding the wrong opinion is enough to get you fired these days.

As you say, we've all got opinions. Difference is we know about these peoples hateful ones, so given a choice I wouldn't deal with them, IMO.

I already gave it.

Really? Give us some examples then of these fantastic educators that hold sectarian bigoted views?

All anecdotal im afraid. I am not sure it would hold up to your fantastic scrutiny.

If you don't believe that somebody can be an exceptional teacher while holding a questionable belief, then there is nothing I can do to change your mind.

Seems a little silly/naive on your behalf though.

thesultan wrote: »
    Don't think it's a big deal. Do yee not sing rebels songs at a sing song?

Exactly, there are a lot of hypocrites on this thread I suspect.
    Plus which bit are they offended by in the OP's video?
    The f*** the Pope bit?
    Or the f*** the IRA bit?
    Or both?

Are they regular mass goers, staunchly supporting the Pope or are they al-a-carte Catholics who only get offended when it suits?
    Are they offended by the f*** the IRA bit?
    Do they support the provos or dissent groups?
    Or are people just using it as an excuse to say look at that bigotry tut tut tut?

How do you know that they just did not get carried away in the chant?
    How many Irish people who do not even vote Sinn Fein or support provos/dissident groups have shouted 'Sinn Fein' 'IRA' during the fields of Athenry song?

That sort of thing will always be there is part and parcel of the culture/history of this island.
    There will always be divides in societies and hardliners on both sides.

It could kick off again not because of eejits like this at a wedding - but young lads who feel disenfranchised from society, and just want excitement and to belong to a 'cause'.
    That is how it will start again - Brexit will be the excuse.

Oh they got carried away alright, they seemed to really love it, that's the problem.

Listen G, if sectarian trash are still in the employ of the educational system both here and in the north they need to be removed. Especially up there. If they get caught behaving in any sort of sectarian bigoted like mindset while in the employment of the state they need to be removed.

Because if you or anybody else actually believes the likes of this will keep their twisted divisional and ultimately violent mindsets to the confines of a drunken party you are either naive in the extreme or an apologist for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Exactly, there are a lot of hypocrites on this thread I suspect.
    Plus which bit are they offended by in the OP's video?
    The f*** the Pope bit?
    Or the f*** the IRA bit?
    Or both?

Are they regular mass goers, staunchly supporting the Pope or are they al-a-carte Catholics who only get offended when it suits?
    Are they offended by the **** the IRA bit?
    Do they support the provos or dissent groups?

The ignorant hate of it all. It's hate for Catholics and Nationalists, likely all Irish. They see the IRA and the Pope as representative of a people they hate.

All anecdotal im afraid. I am not sure it would hold up to your fantastic scrutiny.

If you don't believe that somebody can be an exceptional teacher while holding a questionable belief, then there is nothing I can do to change your mind.

Seems a little silly/naive on your behalf though.

Well then show us some examples then?
    You are convinced there are so by that logic you must be aware or know some?
    Just give me two, just give me one even?

• Advertisement

Oh they got carried away alright, they seemed to really love it, that's the problem.

Listen G, if sectarian trash are still in the employ of the educational system both here and in the north they need to be removed. Especially up there. If they get caught behaving in any sort of sectarian bigoted like mindset while in the employment of the state they need to be removed.

Because if you or anybody else actually believes the likes of this will keep their twisted divisional and ultimately violent mindsets to the confines of a drunken party you are either naive in the extreme or an apologist for it.

Does the same go for anyone employed in educational system that has ever sang IRA and Sinn Fein during Fields of Athenry at a party? Because it's literally the same thing.

If there is a difference, please let me know.

Well I suggest you pay careful attention to those auld fellas singing Irish Rebel songs - they are very dangerous and violent!

Plus John Delaney was not removed from office for this song by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

This Bride and Groom really need a history lesson. They are from and currently reside in an area which is illegally occupied by a foreign country. The 6 counites are Irish and Collins sold us short.

Ahh sweet ...........

Illegally occupied,, Seriously,, What law has been broken ? Has the UN made a declaration.

There are twats on both sides. plenty of weddings where they sing up the ra or any of the multitude of rebble songs shouting for English blood.

There are muppets that have forever tainted the tricolour with their actions not to talk of what they did to the term "Republicanism" and union jack waving idiots on the other side, marching for a dutch King who married his cousin and was reportedly a homosexual..

The faux outrage against one side is bloody pathetic.. Both sides are riddled with biggots and morons..

And people are calling or a united Ireland....

Well then show us some examples then?
    You are convinced there are so by that logic you must be aware or know some?
    Just give me two, just give me one even?

I already told you. It is anecdotal.

I do know a lot of teachers, both qualified and training to be.

Some of them hold very questionable opinions/beliefs and would have no issue talking about them to me on a night out/over a few drinks.

They are all held in high regard in their jobs.

Does the same go for anyone employed in educational system that has ever sang IRA and Sinn Fein during Fields of Athenry at a party? Because it's literally the same thing.

If there is a difference, please let me know.

Did I claim there was a difference? No difference no, and yeah they need to be booted out too.
    It's a job with huge massive responsibility.
    They are teaching the future.

Well I suggest you pay careful attention to those auld fellas singing Irish Rebel songs - they are very dangerous and violent!

Plus John Delaney was not removed from office for this song by the way!

Great example G. John Delaney. Theres plenty of league of Ireland clubs that did encounter that lad as dangerous unfortunately.

This Bride and Groom really need a history lesson. They are from and currently reside in an area which is illegally occupied by a foreign country. The 6 counites are Irish and Collins sold us short.

It is Gorm by the way.
    Collins actually saved Ireland - they were down to thier last bullets and were on the verge of defeat. If anyone sold out it was De Valera (before plunging Ireland into civil war - did not even travel to England for treaty negotiations in the first place)

Then after he caused all that trouble he made his opportunist u-turn and took the Oath to the King about a decade later. Suddenly he was the practical politician. He proved in the long run that Collins was right that a free Ireland could be achieved by peaceful means - step by step.

It is all well and good for a fella called smelly sock - going on about being 'sold short' when he never had to make the tough choices - and dodge the bullets from both sides.

Did I claim there was a difference? No difference no, and yeah they need to be booted out too.
    It's a job with huge massive responsibility.
    They are teaching the future.

Wow. I don't think there would be any teachers left.

So in your opinion, you can have no controversial/wrong opinions if you want to be an educator? Or is it ones that you don't like?

Tell us, what exactly is acceptable to believe and not believe?

Wow. I don't think there would be any teachers left.

So in your opinion, you can have no controversial/wrong opinions if you want to be an educator? Or is it ones that you don't like?

What about transgenderism? What is the acceptable view on that? If a teacher didn't agree with self identifying, could that be transphobic and therefore rule them out? Or would it rule them out if they DID believe it, because they couldn't teach biology if they didn't believe that a man and a woman were different.

Tell us, what exactly is acceptable to believe and not believe?

Stop moving goalposts to other political avenues that have literally nothing to do with the issue

I told you numerous times so I'll do it again shall I?

It is totally unacceptable to hold twistedly culturally sacred SECTARIAN beliefs if you are in the employ of a institution of a state that is trying to escape the threat of a violent SECTARIAN conflict within that state.

Do you agree with any of that Dunne?

• Advertisement

Stop moving goalposts to other political avenues that have literally nothing to do with the issue

I told you numerous times so I'll do it again shall I?

It is totally unacceptable to hold twistedly culturally sacred SECTARIAN beliefs if you are in the employ of a institution of a state that is trying to escape the threat of a violent SECTARIAN conflict within that state.

Do you agree with any of that Dunne?

I edited my post as I realised I didn't want to take it down that route.

So, I don't think it is unacceptable to sing a sectarian song at a family event.

IF your sectarian belief in any way inhibits your ability to teach/treat the public fairly and equally while working, then it is completely unacceptable. If you can leave your belief at the door, then its nobodys business.

Unfortunately, people have seen this video and there are people like you who are baying for blood (metaphorically) , so they're screwed.

I just think it's much ado about nothing.

Advertisement