Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bride and groom getting fired on Monday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Well that’s generally what goes on at any wedding I’ve ever been to, that’s why I wasn’t getting what all the fuss was about. As soon as it was explained by NIMAN that it was posted on social media, I copped that yeah, there’s going to be the usual shìte headed their way like Lorenzo on steroids :rolleyes:

So sectarianism and racism are a common feature of weddings you attend? You have an interesting circle of friends and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Meh. The Pope and the IRA can indeed, get ****ed.

Not just them though, the list is very, very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Apologies but I must call bs on your comment. My family is from NI Strabane to be exact I have been to loads of weddings and none descended to this type of sectarianism. You missing lots tbh.

Feel free to call BS on it all you want, but the video in the opening post suggests that it actually does go on... just not at any wedding you’ve been at.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Well that’s generally what goes on at any wedding I’ve ever been to

I have been to a fair few weddings and at their height of drunkeness and mayhem never has bigotry like that been a feature - never.

You may get the odd comment from some late on - true. But no one is going to have a bigot sing song like that.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,985 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'd guess there is a fair chance:

1) they work with Catholics
    2) there was at least one Catholic at their wedding

If so, their decision to sing this on their entrance was a bit daft.

Do you have any idea how many Catholics feel the same way about either the current Pope or the last one?

The IRA bit may have more consequences for them.

• Advertisement

Do you have any idea how many Catholics feel the same way about either the current Pope or the last one?

The IRA bit may have more consequences for them.

"Catholic" and the pope references are just code for all nationalists though really no matter how catholic they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

I've been to weddings where come out you black and tans has been sung and I'm sure if there were unionists there they would have been offended, ive no truck in either the pope or the ira and while the couples language is more colourful the essence is no different to what is said on boards most days
    look at a thread on child abuse and you'll find its eventually the popes fault in a similar note look at a thread on the war in the north and someone will start whataboutery involving the ira
    They wont be fired
    That dress did nothing for her though .....

So sectarianism and racism are a common feature of weddings you attend? You have an interesting circle of friends and family.

I do indeed.

One of the more memorable ones was a friend whose son was making their communion, she had all the family, friends and relatives over from Uganda too and I was the only white guy there. They’d a barbecue after and one guy was using his hands to turn the meat. I suggested he use a tongs so he didn’t burn himself... “tongs are for white people” he replied.

Woeful racist prick altogether, funny as fcuk though :pac:

(You had to be there :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I do indeed.

One of the more memorable ones was a friend whose son was making their communion, she had all the family, friends and relatives over from Uganda too and I was the only white guy there. They’d a barbecue after and one guy was using his hands to turn the meat. I suggested he use a tongs so he didn’t burn himself... “tongs are for white people” he replied.

Woeful racist prick altogether, funny as fcuk though :pac:

(You had to be there :D)

'You had to be there' considering the company you keep I'll happily pass.

I'd go along for the morbid curiosity :pac:

• Advertisement

Ohh no, sure you’re great craic altogether!

Is it any wonder we wouldn’t have the same experiences of weddings and occasions when even in this short exchange alone we clearly hang out with a completely different set of people?

I don’t mean this in a bad way but you’re like the author of that tweet saying imagine being a guest at that wedding. That’s the very reason they’re not at the wedding - because they sound like a pure dryballs!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

People have fierce little to be whinging about.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

My family are originally from Northern Ireland and I have been to a number of weddings of extended family and friends up North - from both sides of the “divide” - and I have never seen or heard sectarian or bigoted songs or speeches at these events.

The couple were very sad and stupid to do what they did as these days you never know if or when a big event like this will be captured and posted up on social media. They will now have to face the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Such a complete benign thing to get angry about... And we have people discussing about whether they will still be in employment and making points that they may work with catholics. Jaysus get real.

Firstly I would say about 70-80% of catholics are against the acts of the Ira... Probably more depending on what strain you are talking about. Real, continuity, provisional and then you can mine deeper to INLA or other dissident.

Then there is the Pope.. It really depends what Pope you are talking about... Rat zinger quit as a nazi sympathizer, John Paul ii even though beautified will be remembered as a leader of a church who committed heinous crimes and he ordered the perpetrators to be protected and hidden or the current pope who while noble and trying his best and trying to be the modern Francis of assisi still hasn't said condoms aren't sinful Which means hiv will rip through Africa and continues to hide serial sex offenders in The US.

So when the bride and groom allowed a chorus of 'fcuk the pope and the Ira' to be sung at their wedding were they only giving out about an organization who permit sex crimes and a terrorist organization who
    Murdered civilians and not anti catholic.

Or the above could be tongue and cheek and exact same as every Irish wedding who has a drunken fields of athenry song with the usual Ira chorus.

Jaysus get over yourlselves

The fuss is, its on social media.
    Everything on social media is big news.

Am I bothered this couple holds these views? That they are bigots?
    No, not at all. Couldn't care less. Their views have no impact on my life, but there are already people on social media launching campaigns to have them sacked, which will likely happen now as social media mobs have so much power.

Oh, and gay cake thing is still going strong afaik, far from dead.

I think the "fuss" is to stop this becoming normalised again.

We've moved on, and these cretins need to know that. There's a very fragile peace process that's possibly about to shatter, and we cannot let sectarian nonsense like this become normalised (again).

Their timing is utterly f*cking dispicable though. If they thought that was an ok song to make their entrance, I doubt they'll get fired. I wouldn't be surprised if they work for the DUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Atleast its a change from the fockin Black Eye Peas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

joeguevara wrote: »
    Such a complete benign thing to get angry about... And we have people discussing about whether they will still be in employment and making points that they may work with catholics. Jaysus get real.

Firstly I would say about 70-80% of catholics are against the acts of the Ira... Probably more depending on what strain you are talking about. Real, continuity, provisional and then you can mine deeper to INLA or other dissident.

Then there is the Pope.. It really depends what Pope you are talking about... Rat zinger quit as a nazi sympathizer, John Paul ii even though beautified will be remembered as a leader of a church who committed heinous crimes and he ordered the perpetrators to be protected and hidden or the current pope who while noble and trying his best and trying to be the modern Francis of assisi still hasn't said condoms aren't sinful Which means hiv will rip through Africa and continues to hide serial sex offenders in The US.

So when the bride and groom allowed a chorus of 'fcuk the pope and the Ira' to be sung at their wedding were they only giving out about an organization who permit sex crimes and a terrorist organization who
    Murdered civilians and not anti catholic.

Or the above could be tongue and cheek and exact same as every Irish wedding who has a drunken fields of athenry song with the usual Ira chorus.

Jaysus get over yourlselves

I think you are missing the point entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I get that it's a sign of sectarian issues but honestly there are plenty of Irish people who would say "f*ck the pope" considering the **** the Catholic Church got away with in Ireland and as for "and the IRA", they're a terrorist organisation who killed innocent people, are we really going to get upset about people they would have targeted singing abuse at them? The decision to walk in to it though is very odd, I'm much more bewildered than outraged. Is there a deeper meaning to the chant that I've missed?

I think the "fuss" is to stop this becoming normalised again.

We've moved on, and these cretins need to know that. There's a very fragile peace process that's possibly about to shatter, and we cannot let sectarian nonsense like this become normalised (again).

Their timing is utterly f*cking dispicable though. If they thought that was an ok song to make their entrance, I doubt they'll get fired. I wouldn't be surprised if they work for the DUP.

What do you mean their timing?

Now I didn't know it was their entrance song but who cares.. Every sing song up and down the country tonight where they sing Fields of Athenry will more than likely include the Ira chorus. Doesn't make it right I know but people will sing songs like this in peace time and bad.

In all fairness it would be better if they did work for the DUP because we know they hate the Pope and the Ira rather then finding out Josie who works in the local pharmacy does.

People who think that the peace process depends on the entrance song of a couple is ridiculous. To debate it and for the loyalist community to read the vitriol that has been expressed here such as calling them cretins is more likely to be more damaging.

As I said on my post about ten minutes ago is there many people who will stand up for the actions of the pope or the Ira so to have faux outrage now is explainable?

I think you are missing the point entirely.

How am I? I am catholic and a republican... How am I missing the point that people can sing sectarian songs? If I sing a republican song such as Joe McDonnell can I expect for people to think I should be fired?

As I said in my post is there anything wrong for a song that is anti a leader of a church who perpetrated sex crimes or an organization who murdered innocent people... Again what point did I miss?

• Advertisement

How am I? I am catholic and a republican... How am I missing the point that people can sing sectarian songs? If I sing a republican song such as Joe McDonnell can I expect for people to think I should be fired?

As I said in my post is there anything wrong for a song that is anti a leader of a church who perpetrated sex crimes or an organization who murdered innocent people... Again what point did I miss?

Basically you’re missing the point that because some arsehole posted it on social media to whip up a reaction, a disproportionate reaction is exactly what this couple are going to get as people trip over themselves to express their indignation and moral outrage.

Basically it’ll turn into another online ****fest.

Basically you’re missing the point that because some arsehole posted it on social media to whip up a reaction, a disproportionate reaction is exactly what this couple are going to get as people trip over themselves to express their indignation and moral outrage.

Are we suppose to feel sorry for them?

Are we suppose to feel sorry for them?

You’re asking me? Kermit I couldn’t give a shìte what anyone does or doesn’t think of them to be honest. I’m only here because I didn’t get what the big deal was in the first place, took me three attempts to get a straight answer as to what people were so pissy about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Rat zinger quit as a nazi sympathizer,

Joining the Hitler Youth as a 14 year old doesn’t make you a Nazi sympathiser. Enrolment was mandatory

Maybe you expecting this 14 year to be in the resistance living in the mountains carrying out sabotage. Like you would have done

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

You’re asking me? Kermit I couldn’t give a shìte what anyone does or doesn’t think of them to be honest. I’m only here because I didn’t get what the big deal was in the first place, took me three attempts to get a straight answer as to what people were so pissy about.

You know exactly why people find this distasteful, a dog with a mallet up his arse would understand why that chant is horrific.

Simply the best was a slogan a terrorist outfit from the North used occasionally and on banners etc

Can you join the dots

If that's the point then yes I missed it... I was responding to people calling the couple cretins and potentially damaging the peace process.

I also responded to a post where someone commented that they more than likely worked for the DUP.

But thinking about it then what do you mean I missed the point? I am the antithesis of the person who will denigrate this couple. Do you not want someone to say it's ridiculous that people are outraged?

So what do you actually mean I missed the point? I think it is ridiculous that people are outraged at a couple and a load of their wedding party singing a song.

This is not a thread about someone leaking a song. If it was then the sectarianism is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

This part of what we'll get with a United Ireland

If that's the point then yes I missed it... I was responding to people calling the couple cretins and potentially damaging the peace process.

I also responded to a post where someone commented that they more than likely worked for the DUP.

But thinking about it then what do you mean I missed the point? I am the antithesis of the person who will denigrate this couple. Do you not want someone to say it's ridiculous that people are outraged?

So what do you actually mean I missed the point? I think it is ridiculous that people are outraged at a couple and a load of their wedding party singing a song.

This is not a thread about someone leaking a song. If it was then the sectarianism is irrelevant.

Calm down, I missed the point Kermit was trying to make too because I saw nothing wrong going on in the video either. I was expecting to see the hotel being vandalised or something, y’know, an actual reason to fire someone, and all I got was a shìtty sing song I’d see at any wedding. I’m disappointed, frankly :pac:

Your Face wrote: »
    This part of what we'll get with a United Ireland

How will these creatures react when they stick a border down the Irish sea in the coming days?

Ah forget it, doubt they would notice until it's too late. They'll probably still be singing their songs:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Rightfully they should be sacked too playing Tina Turner as your entrance song

Advertisement