Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bride and groom getting fired on Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Homelander

That is bewildering. Was the wedding carefully vetted to ensure very guest was a card-carrying Protestant unionist or what? Seems bizarre thing to happen at the early stages of a wedding of all things, but you can hear from the shouting and clapping that there's a fair whack of people involved. Now, I don't personally care, but it's an extremely odd mass-chant for a general wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

There needs to be a clampdown on idiots filming everything on their smartphones. While I'm no fan of sectarian loyalists; it was a private event after all.
    It's sad now that even in private with friends and family you have to watch what you say in case it may cause offence to some randomers on the Internet.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Don't get upset with these pair of knuckle heads and their pals singing a song written by another knuckle head .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

There needs to be a clampdown on idiots filming everything on their smartphones. While I'm no fan of sectarian loyalists; it was a private event after all.
    It's sad now that even in private with friends and family you have to watch what you say in case it may cause offence to some randomers on the Internet.

It was an event in a hotel.

Are the staff not entitled to work in an environment free from such sectarianism?

Private doesn't cover this type of sectarianism I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

There needs to be a clampdown on idiots filming everything on their smartphones. While I'm no fan of sectarian loyalists it was a private event after all.

I only saw a brief part of that video.
    But for the family involved it would be no bother looking at the seating plan and identifying who was sitting where that was filmed.

While I agree with the above, it is an effective way to shine a light on nasty behaviour. Just because it’s a private event doesn’t mean it’s not wrong and exposing kids to this sort of thing is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yeah, to some extent.

But this is just blatant sectarianism and bigotry. Should be called out for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

The video was altered/fake. Here’s the original video

https://twitter.com/jarv1ss/status/1180748256667676672?s=21

Considering it was your man's wedding night dont you think he would haven been having carnal thoughts about his wife and not an old man or men in ski masks. Doesn't bode well for the marriage that the beard wife had similar desires.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,201 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

More likely than not, they’re employed by a family owned business who were probably at the wedding singing along with them so no, I’d doubt they will be fired on Monday OP
    They're not getting fired. A bit cringe worthy but why are are they getting fired ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

"...there were no Catholics left!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Ugh. How tacky.

Imagine being scummy enough to sing this walking into your wedding breakfast where there are small children present.

Do I think they’re arseholes? Yes.

Do I think they should be allowed to sing whatever they want at their own wedding? Also yes.

Do I think smartphones should be banned from weddings and special occasions? Absolutely yes.

Do I think they should lose their jobs because they sang sectarian songs at their wedding? Absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I feel pity for loyalists, most be a fairly miserable existence if your whole identity and culture is based around the ridiculous pretence of being British.

🙈🙉🙊

Do I think they should be allowed to sing whatever they want at their own wedding? Also yes.

I think hotel staff and owners shouldn't have to endure it personally.

If you want to have that sort of wedding, your local orange lodge will be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

All this over who has the best imaginary friend... Nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

While I see a lot people saying plenty of Irish weddings have rebel songs yes but thing is they are sung drunkenly at 3am not as your wedding reception entrance song and not in front of young kids. While the lyrics are about the IRA and the pope it’s clear it’s aimed at Irish people and catholics in general.
    To be honest I don’t find it insulting personally but it’s totally cringeworthy and shows the level of intelligence and class these people have and it’s not just confined to loyalists up north, probably plenty of examples of nationalists doing stuff very similar. Both breeds up north are very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Ah the poor IRA

lawred2 wrote: »
    I think hotel staff and owners shouldn't have to endure it personally.

If you want to have that sort of wedding, your local orange lodge will be available.

I doubt they’d be spending their queen’s pound anywhere owned/worked by anything other than the same ilk as themselves.

I doubt they’d be spending their queen’s pound anywhere owned/worked by anything other than the same ilk as themselves.

Maybe, probably, don't know. That's not really the point though.

If that hotel is anything like every other hotel in Ireland then the staff will likely be a mixture of locals and migrants. They won't have sussed out the entire kitchen and waiting staff before booking this hotel.

That crap won't be for everyone's ears. And some will definitely have found that an intimidatory work environment.

Maybe, probably, don't know. That's not really the point though.

If that hotel is anything like every other hotel in Ireland then the staff will likely be a mixture of locals and migrants. They won't have sussed out the entire kitchen and waiting staff before booking this hotel.

That crap won't be for everyone's ears. And some will definitely have found that an intimidatory work environment.

Absolutely agree, which is why I think they’re a holes.

On the bright side... never piss off the waiting staff. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

There’s a rumour going around that some of the kitchen staff at that hotel are Catholic and there’s a reports of pissy soup being served to guests.

A ghastly video of ghastly people. The woman in the white blazer at the top table doesn’t look too impressed with what’s going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

If that's what they sang at their entrance, can you imagine what went on later.... probably had a bonfire in the carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

We're clearly missing some context here.

The church and the IRA have done some terrible evil stuff but why on earth would you chant this as your wedding reception entrance song?!

I'm not excusing it. Just very odd and devoid of class!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭893bet

Classless scum.

Just be glad that these types are so easy identify.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Oh the horror somebody said **** the Pope.

How sinister that people record private functions and tweet what happens so the mob can cry.

It's like McCarthyism or East Germany. Should people lose their jobs for singing rebel songs also?

Don't get me wrong they are scumbags but really who cares is anyone suprised

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

So are people offended over the pope or the R.A, one the head of an establishment that allowed child rape and torture for centuries, the other an organisation that disappeared a widowed mother of 10 and murdered children, peculiar thinking getting offended on behalf of such barbaric institutions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It’s no Grace after 12 pints of Guinness with tears running down your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Jaysus, you'd think you could leave the bigotry and hate till the 12th of July or a session in a loyalist drinking den . Real classy people , you can see one of the mothers isn't impressed . The 'simply the best " tune is associated with the UDA .

So are people offended over the pope or the R.A, one the head of an establishment that allowed child rape and torture for centuries, the other an organisation that disappeared a widowed mother of 10 and murdered children, peculiar thinking getting offended on behalf of such barbaric institutions

You think that's what the problem is? :/

• Advertisement

That bit where the bride is left on her own shuffling while hubby buggers off is well deserved. Comically tragic.

Advertisement