Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bride and groom getting fired on Monday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Mad_maxx wrote: »

It's important to remember the kind of carry on our brothers and sisters up north have to put up with.

Isn't that the whole point of singing *uck the IRA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Seriously doubt they get fired, folk like this would not have a Catholic boss.

They'll probably get a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The IRA are no longer relevant or present

The song - chant is code for

Fcuk our Catholic neighbours

These people have been horribly indulged by everyone forever

No wonder they drip with arrogance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

True. Double ducks for the ra then.
    At least double

Does anyone think the IRA deserves some level of veneration or respect?

Would we have a problem if someone said "Screw moody loners with guns" or "Mohammed can suck my dick"? And set them to music?

Praise be to the Almighty Lord that we have a qualified Loyalist - Republican interpreter to explain to us what's really meant by those complex Ulster-Scots lyrics!

Having sorted that one out to your complete satisfaction, could you now don your bright green academic gown and tell us what the Glasgow Celtic fans mean when they chant "oo aah up the 'RA" in Parkhead? (My Glasgow correspondents assure me that they are not referring to the Royal Academy.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Portsalon wrote: »
    Praise be to the Almighty Lord that we have a qualified Loyalist - Republican interpreter to explain to us what's really meant by those complex Ulster-Scots lyrics!

Having sorted that one out to your complete satisfaction, could you now don your bright green academic gown and tell us what the Glasgow Celtic fans mean when they chant "oo aah up the 'RA" in Parkhead? (My Glasgow correspondents assure me that they are not referring to the Royal Academy.)

What's your point? That others behave like ignorant sectarian fools!? Sure we all know that.

But a football match and the fandom group think that leads to such hateful utterings is a long way from a hand picked planned entrance song on someone's wedding day wouldn't you think?

You probably don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Feckin' tune has been going round in my head for the last hour since I heard it.
    Sort of catchy!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Are you ok?

lawred2 wrote: »
    What's your point? That others behave like ignorant sectarian fools!? Sure we all know that.

But a football match and the fandom group think that leads to such hateful utterings is a long way from a hand picked planned entrance song on someone's wedding day wouldn't you think?

You probably don't.

Whatever about the current pontiff who seems to me to be a decent enough bloke, I'm happy to condemn the IRA at every possible opportunity. Hence, doing it during a wedding seems a perfect opportunity. Furthermore, for all you know (which probably isn't all that much) a member of the groom's or bride's family may have been a victim of IRA violence in the past.

In short - you're quite correct to speculate that I probably don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Calls of sectarianism aside that's pretty cringey to watch.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Are you ok?

I'd be better if you could get me contact details for that attractive wedding guest in the red dress. She's the one who pointedly wasn't singing along with the rest of the gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'd be better if you could get me contact details for that attractive wedding guest in the red dress. She's the one who pointedly wasn't singing along with the rest of the gang.

You worried she's a taig?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Whatever about the current pontiff who seems to me to be a decent enough bloke,

Decent?
    :rolleyes:

err not sure about decent. You know when a big multinational company spills millions of liters of oil and kills wildlife or when they put stuff in food and it kills people? Well they hire a nice smiley PR person.

The current pope is the Vatican's smiley PR guy, "hired" so they can try handle the decades of sexual abuse they knew about and that they covered up. After all the people hated Ratzinger, he was just unlikable across the board.

Many people think he's "decent enough" or nice and that he says progressive things. But at the end of it all nothing has changed in the Vatican.

They have still refused to compensation the many, many millions they owe abuse victims. They still refuse to co-operate with worldwide investigations including with the UN and they still hold numerous backward views.

So all in all, he's far from "decent". Very far from it.

As for the wedding, those people are full of hate and show just how backwards many in the north can be on both sides.

While I personally agree that the pope can indeed go f*** himself, I wouldn't waste a lovely day like a wedding expressing such a view.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

lawred2 wrote: »

You probably don't.

I wouldn’t think so either to be honest. At a football match anyone can turn up and there are opposing sides in a much larger venue. At an occasion like a wedding it’s invite only, and everyone there is more likely to share the same values as opposed to people who weren’t invited, which is where all of the criticism is coming from - people who weren’t there and have no connection whatsoever to these people.

There’s a definitive commonality among the group of critics though which could only be best described as group think and seeking approval from the group of their fellow critics. There’s plenty of hatred on display among the comments criticising the people at the wedding and zeroing in on the couple in question, going beyond just criticism into histrionics and blowing things out of proportion.

You probably don’t see it though because you’re on the side of righteous indignation, but there’s been plenty of it in just this thread alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Rangers fans parody the beach boys sloop John B

"the famines over, why don't you go home"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Skangers, we all know the types. Imagine singing something like that at your wedding.

She's a nurse and he's a teacher according to twitter. So it is likely that there could be repercussions on their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Their wedding with their guests in a private venue, you’d think they were marching in the St.Patrick’s Day parade down O’Connell Street with a lot of the outrage.

I thought it looked like great craic. Fairly funny. Calling it ‘horrific’ and ‘despicable’ is also very funny.

Private function. Private citizens. No offense intended but that doesn’t stop thousands taking offense.

Also, these things are apparently only sectarian when it’s coming from the Unionist side.

Their wedding with their guests in a private venue, you’d think they were marching in the St.Patrick’s Day parade down O’Connell Street with a lot of the outrage.

I thought it looked like great craic. Fairly funny. Calling it ‘horrific’ and ‘despicable’ is also very funny.

Private function. Private citizens. No offense intended but that doesn’t stop thousands taking offense.

Also, these things are apparently only sectarian when it’s coming from the Unionist side.

It was private until one of their guests posted it. Some craic up there tonight I'd say.

Not sure what the problem is. I don't like the pope or the IRA either. I wouldn't be singing it at my wedding though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

how many people here actually believe they should be fired/ punished have been to a wedding where wolfe tones/ dubliners or other rebel balads have been played and it was fine by them ?

yeah its a really scummy unclassy thing to have any politicised songs at your wedding but im sure anyone who would was hardly inviting any catholics anyway. Theyre all probably in the same orange lodge together.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I’m a practicing catholic with a mother a NI nationalist and that’s the way I feel about it.
    Some nationalists have been sitting patiently waiting to “avenge” B McElduff former SF MP who lost his job over a viral video recently.
    This incident will do just fine.
    The fact that McElduff was a public servant supposed to be serving both communities, and these are private individuals at a private invitation only function is to be ignored.
    You’re talking about a junior school playground tit for tat scenario which a small minority on both sides want to continue for 100+ to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,126 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

splinter65 wrote: »
    I’m a practicing catholic with a mother a NI nationalist and that’s the way I feel about it.
    Some nationalists have been sitting patiently waiting to “avenge” B McElduff former SF MP who lost his job over a viral video recently.
    This incident will do just fine.
    The fact that McElduff was a public servant supposed to be serving both communities, and these are private individuals at a private invitation only function is to be ignored.
    You’re talking about a junior school playground tit for tat scenario which a small minority on both sides want to continue for 100+ to come.

So would you be happy to be sending a child from a nationalist family into school to be taught by the groom, or to hospital to be cared for by the bride?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I see Luekaemia and lymphoma NI facebook page have taken down her video.

There were some negative feedback in ths comments earlier today, which probably got worse as the day went on, so it was taken down.

Shame on her for bringing negative feedback to this charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

So would you be happy to be sending a child from a nationalist family into school to be taught by the groom, or to hospital to be cared for by the bride?

I have absolutely no doubt that both of them behave with perfect professionalism at work. There is absolutely no suggestion anywhere that anything else is the case.
    Why on earth would they be employed in 2 such responsible jobs if they weren’t good at it.
    Have they endangered anyone? Who has been hurt?
    When you are in the privacy of your own home or at a party is your behavior 100% acceptable to everyone 100% of the time?
    When did we start saying that private leisure time that is not hurting anyone else is subject to public scrutiny?

I have absolutely no doubt that both of them behave with perfect professionalism at work. There is absolutely no suggestion anywhere that anything else is the case.
    Why on earth would they be employed in 2 such responsible jobs if they weren’t good at it.
    Have they endangered anyone? Who has been hurt?
    When you are in the privacy of your own home or at a party is your behavior 100% acceptable to everyone 100% of the time?
    When did we start saying that private leisure time that is not hurting anyone else is subject to public scrutiny?

A garda is suspended at the moment pending an investigation for allegedly 'impersonating the fighting culture of travellers'. His post was made in the context of raising money for a charity.

I suppose PS are expected to be mindful of their behaviour and especially in a hotspot that is currently NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,093 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The fact that McElduff was a public servant

Nope. Politicians are public representatives. And Mr Kingsmill Loaf thoroughly deserved what he got.
    supposed to be serving both communities, and these are private individuals at a private invitation only function is to be ignored.

But these two - teacher and nurse - actually ARE public servants. Whatever about teachers due to the system of sectarian education both north and south of the border, a nurse will encounter people from all walks of life in the course of their work and is expected to treat all of them with equal respect. I would expect her to be attending an ethics hearing at the nursing board in the near future.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Do you have any idea how many Catholics feel the same way about either the current Pope or the last one?

The IRA bit may have more consequences for them.

I think you're (maybe deliberately) missing the point. I don't think the point of the song was meant to be a way to offer their support to disenfranchised Catholics. F%^£ the Pope is a sectarian chant that's sung in order to voice one's bigotry towards the Catholic population. In South Africa some of the more sectarian variety of person shouts F Nelson Mandela. They're not exactly expressing sympathies to members of the black African community who may not have liked his political style are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Lads do people really get this annoyed over this kind of stuff or is it just people pontificating online?

Saw the video earlier, thoughts were along the lines of "what a bunch of clowns, but I'd probably give the bride one for the laugh"

About 8 seconds later I'd moved on with my life and forgotten it until I saw the thread on the homepage again

I'll have forgotten again in less than 30 seconds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

So great. Private function they can sing whatever they like and post it on the internet? Against any target groups?

Advertisement