Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER C1 with single glazed windows

Options
  • 06-10-2019 12:10pm

looking at a house at the moment. First thing i noticed was single glazed windows and a BER rating of C1, how is that even possible? The inefficiency of single glazed windows surely drastically increases the yearly kW consumption

Anyone have similar or know the answer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Have you seen the report? Have come across quite a few unrealistic BER ratings on Daft and myhome. During the viewing it usually turned out that they hadn't got a report yet and just pulled a number out of a hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Presumably it is technically possible to score a C1 rating on the BER calculation if lots of the other factors considered score very highly. This just underlines (again) the fact that the BER rating is a very crude 'on-paper' exercise with lots of gross assumptions built-in to estimate the energy consumption of a building. And it is overall energy consumption it is concerned with, not just heating or something as hard to define as comfort or cosiness, hence things like having 100% energy efficient lighting will boost the rating but do feck all to keep you warm on a windy winter night.

The BER report itself, which you should download and read for any house you are remotely considering, will give you a bit more detail but not much more. The evidence of your own eyes tends to trump anything it can tell you and everyone knows that single glazing is a significant issue for heating, draft exclusion and noise prevention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

Can the report be downloaded for free from a website? The only website I found is the SEAI and I Can see the BER result but there is no report to be downloaded.

Have you seen the report? Have come across quite a few unrealistic BER ratings on Daft and myhome. During the viewing it usually turned out that they hadn't got a report yet and just pulled a number out of a hat.

I looked up the cert number and it is a cLC1, shocked as only 1 out about 10 windows is double glazed

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

alwald wrote: »
    Can the report be downloaded for free from a website? The only website I found is the SEAI and I Can see the BER result but there is no report to be downloaded.

I've been wondering about this. I thought the reports including recommendations were available on seai site, thought I downloaded a few, but I don't see them anymore, only the basic certificate details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

mcbert wrote: »
    I've been wondering about this. I thought the reports including recommendations were available on seai site, thought I downloaded a few, but I don't see them anymore, only the basic certificate details.

I downloaded 2 in the past, they contained quite few pages and details (between 10 and 15 on top of my head). But like you I am unable to find them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Actually, yes, this appears to be a thing now. When I look up my own house, the link to the report is no longer shown on ‘details’ page. Wonder if this is a GDPR related change (warranted or not).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

In one sense, if you're looking at buying the house, you're gonna be able to factor replacing the windows in the price... Which would be harder to do with ****ty old double glazing.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I was only trying to look up the BER cert for my house recently and couldn't see the option to download where I was sure I had in the past, luckily I found it in downloads folder from a previous time and assumed I must have got it elsewhere.
    But I was pretty sure had got it from the SEAI website, they must have changed their policy.

It does seem mad that you could have single glazed and C1 BER, you would wonder how high you could get it with a windows upgrade.
    But yeah BER is to be taken with a decent pinch of salt, its a bit of a box ticking exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

BER is better than nothing but realistically it not much better. Two different C1 ratings could be considerably different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Tow

Have have seen C1 on a building the Corpo were selling and had no glass in half the windows. Those which had glass were old single glaze steel frame and those with no glass had the 'corpo steel' shutters bolted across them. You have to wonder.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Advertisement