Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi extender/Time Capsule solution for Eir fiber.

Options
  • 06-10-2019 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭

My living situation is thus:

I and my girlfriend live in a "granny flat" type of accommodation with her parents, insofar as we're in an adjoining building. We extended the broadband from her parents' router to our old time capsule via cat5 and used the time capsule as a wifi router and time machine backup.

All this served our needs as the broadband where we lived wasn't brilliant (10megs) but worked.

Her parents recently upgraded to fiber and it has really exposed how out of date the time capsule is in terms of speed. Her parents routinely get anywhere from 100 to 140 megs and we get nowhere near that.

Can anyone recommend something we can do to improve things? As far as I'm aware all cableing is now cat5e, so that's done. I'd like to retain the ability to back up my mac via time machine, so I see two possibilities:

1. Purchase a new wifi/router to extend the eir wifi and connect the existing time capsule by ethernet in order to continue to have backup facilities.

2. Replace the time capsule entirely with something more up to date that will serve as both a wifi router and backup solution.

we need a device with ethernet and wifi as we have both wireless and wired network requirements.

Any advice or device recommencdations?

thanks in advance.

Comments

Advertisement