Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gift vouchers and expiry dates?

• 06-10-2019 2:37pm

Could anyone tell me if its illegal now to have expiry dates on gift vouchers. I know that it was spoken of end of last year by government to have a 5 year expiry date on vouchers and I was wondering if this legislation has been passed yet? Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The bill was not passed. Even if it was, it would only apply to vouchers bought after it had done so.

Thanks GBX for your reply. I couldn't find any information on it that it had been passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭buzz11

Has it not been passed and now an Act?

Consumer Protection (Gift Vouchers) Act 2019

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/bills/bill/2018/142/

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It's only just been enacted and has not yet been commenced afaics.

Still though, if and when it is commenced, it will bring some clarity to the use of these vouchers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭rock22

Is the practice of passing bills and having them signed into law, but then not commencing them not fundamentally undemocratic. It means that one person has absolute control over when and if the law can be applied.

Older bills , if I read correctly, never seemed to have had this commencement stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

It's only just been enacted and has not yet been commenced afaics.

Still though, if and when it is commenced, it will bring some clarity to the use of these vouchers.

I have this feeling for some odd reason it won't commence until at least January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

rock22 wrote: »
    Is the practice of passing bills and having them signed into law, but then not commencing them not fundamentally undemocratic. It means that one person has absolute control over when and if the law can be applied.

Older bills , if I read correctly, never seemed to have had this commencement stage.

It just depends on how the Bill is written, commencement orders are nothing new, the oldest being from 1924 with 100s more since then, they have been issued in each decade since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I've never understood the practice of exchanging cash, which can be spent anywhere, for a voucher of the same value that can only be spent in limited places and runs the risk of the retailer going under and voiding them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

I've never understood the practice of exchanging cash, which can be spent anywhere, for a voucher of the same value that can only be spent in limited places and runs the risk of the retailer going under and voiding them.

There’s preferential tax treatment for them. You can give an employee up to €500 in non cash gifts each year. Vouchers qualify so long as they cannot be exchanged for cash, in part or in full.

The whole thing is a subsidy to An Post, who majority own One For All, pretty much the only show in town. Personally I’d be happier with the €500 to save or pay off debt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

GM228 wrote: »
    It just depends on how the Bill is written, commencement orders are nothing new, the oldest being from 1924 with 100s more since then, they have been issued in each decade since then.

Looks like signed into law by President on the 19/11/2019 - normally the relevant minister then has 3 months to commence.

So that would be February 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Heard on the radio this morning that it was due to be signed this Friday. They were advising people to wait until then before buying any gift vouchers.

No mention of when it takes effect though.

One other thing to watch out for in 2020 January is that AML5 comes into play on all anonymous prepaid credit cards (of which one4all is one).

The anti money laundering directive will from 10th January will make it that any card of value €150 or more needs to be registered with users details - (proof of who you are) for card present and €50 limit for non card present (online, phone).

This is going to make using the cards difficult in the new year and I don't see anything about it on one4all website as yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

One other thing to watch out for in 2020 January is that AML5 comes into play on all anonymous prepaid credit cards (of which one4all is one).

The anti money laundering directive will from 10th January will make it that any card of value €150 or more needs to be registered with users details - (proof of who you are) for card present and €50 limit for non card present (online, phone).

This is going to make using the cards difficult in the new year and I don't see anything about it on one4all website as yet.

Received one of these cards as a Christmas bonus and it’s now stated on the letter and on their website as follows

‘Please note, from 10th January 2020 there will be a limit of €50 for online transactions using your One4all Gift Card.

Remember, use your One4all Gift Card as a prepaid Visa Debit Card. Do not choose ‘Gift Voucher’ or ‘Gift Card’ at checkout. Also please keep your One4all Gift Card in case of returns or refunds’

How the heck are you meant to buy anything online with it now?! Numerous orders of €50 or less?
    What about items you want to buy that are over €50?!
    Absolute pain in the ring!

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Received one of these cards as a Christmas bonus and it’s now stated on the letter and on their website as follows

‘Please note, from 10th January 2020 there will be a limit of €50 for online transactions using your One4all Gift Card.

Remember, use your One4all Gift Card as a prepaid Visa Debit Card. Do not choose ‘Gift Voucher’ or ‘Gift Card’ at checkout. Also please keep your One4all Gift Card in case of returns or refunds’

How the heck are you meant to buy anything online with it now?! Numerous orders of €50 or less?

They’ve messed up then, they were meant to get some way of proving who you are (passport etc.) and log these details against card number etc. It mustn’t be ready and in truth I don’t know how it would work as it would have to provide these details to whatever acquirer or bank so that they know the card is no longer anonymous.

It’s the anonymous nature of the “money card” that falls foul of the anti money laundering directive.

Also the limit to spend in person in a shop from the 10th is 150eur.

Better use them fast

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭cobhguy28

Cherrycola wrote: »

Its a updated money laundering directive dealing with Anonymous:eek: cards.

"Lowering the threshold requirement for CDD on prepaid cards.
    The Commission aims to substantially reduce the risk of anonymous prepaid instruments (e.g. gift cards, travel cards) being misused for the purposes of money laundering and/or terrorist financing. 5MLD lowers the threshold requirement for CDD on prepaid card transactions from EUR 250 to EUR 150. The threshold for online transactions with a prepaid card is EUR 50."

Advertisement