Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord raising rent 45%

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

ted1 wrote: »
    Doesn’t work like that , it’s 4% over two years. So max 20% if no increase in 10 years

That's disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Love the way decent landlords who only put up the rent once in 6 years are the bad guy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

ted1 wrote: »
    Doesn’t work like that , it’s 4% over two years. So max 20% if no increase in 10 years

I hadn’t realised it worked that way. Strange that it’s 4% each year when done annually, but only 4% every two years when backdated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Love the way decent landlords who only put up the rent once in 6 years are the bad guy
    Its a business. Decency doesnt come in to it. The landlord didn't run his business properly and now is breaking the law in an attempt to catch up with the average rents for such properties. This is what happens when you have amateurs running businesses. ( Not that I agree with the savage rental increases of the last few years)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

what is the current rent you are paying if i may ask?
    a 45% increase sounds unreasonable unless you are on a very low rent, in which case you need to consider your landlord's concern about bench-marking. I know people who are still paying 850 euro per month for a 1 bed apt in D7, they know a major increase is going to arrive anytime soon and are ready to negotiate but probably will accept a 20% increase which will still keep rent below average

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭fibix

Keona12 wrote: »
    Hi. New to boards. We live in a RPZ, and are living in same place 6 years. Rent hasn't gone up since then. We fix all problem, and never call landlord, no problems. Monday landlord calls and says rent will go up 45 % or else we will get notice saying there will be major refurbishment and we must leave. This is apartment btw. I agree as we are worried about where we can go.

Speaking from my own experience, as we are moving back to the refurbished property in RPZ very shortly, after dealing and settling through RTB.

The rent review was not carried out in over 3 years. We received a notice letter asking us to vacate the property due to substantial refurbishment planned. It was written as per requirements in the Residential Tenancies Act (if refurbishment is quoted as the reason, the extent of the works and the contractors must be provided in the letter). The letter was giving 6 months for the works. Also, you will get the first refuse when the property becomes available. We knew our rent was very favourable for the area we live in and the apartment was lovely, even before the works. They could only increase the rent by 4%, so obviously having us moved out was the way to obtain higher rent from a new tenant, because who would be arsed moving out for 6 months and coming back, right? We brought it to RTB as I only moved in 2 months before we got the notice (my housemate was there for over 3 yrs) and the apartment was in really nice repair, so we questioned the validity of the notice: the extension of works and the duration of the refurbishment (you can build a new place in 6 months).
    The dispute was opened with RTB and the date of mediation given. The mediation failed so we decided to proceed with tribunal hearing, where we settled on 12 weeks for refurb works and the landlord admitted themselves that the rent can be raised only 4% (in the meantime, June I think, the legislation changed so even with the new tenant, the rent could be raised only 4% in RPZ). So long story short, shortly after the hearing, we got our new contract with rent review. For the very first review, the calculation takes into consideration number of months since the last review, so it's not exactly 4%, can be a bit more. The formula used to calculate the review is in the legislation. The following annual reviews then are 4% increase only.
    So we are back to newly refurbished apartment for just over 4% increase, having waited 12 wks to have the work completed. The date of return was agreed before the tribunal and legally binding.

From your story, OP, your landlord is trying to pull a quick one. Don't let them walk over you, ask for having everything in writing and consult RTB, they are helpful in fairness (at least in our case they were).

P.S. There is a clause in legislation, for when more than 4% raise is applicable. For that, the landlord would have to add extra bedrooms, bathrooms etc. and a few other bits. Details here: https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/rent-pressure-zones/?gclid=CjwKCAjwlovtBRBrEiwAG3XJ-9Kn7enT7yAN_grdoVc6Hbf9m1QmjRj9FS3YHOqlsMNiDi_z5jY1KxoC7_MQAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭themoone

L1011 wrote: »
    The new tenancy was in effect a rent review under the legislation at that time and resets the date to calculate from.

Can you please direct me the basis of that in law as I have a similar case and I need clarification.

Advertisement