Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Ranks in the middle of a main road...

Options
2»

Comments

Junior wrote: »
    And what happens when the Uber model collapses (because it's a huge loss making industry) and neither a Taxi Service or Uber exist ?

If the Uber model collapsed someone else would fill the void overnight, If there is money to be made someone will be there to make it.

edit: Just to clarify I am not hoping any taxi drivers lose their jobs. All I am saying is that if one business model (Uber) puts another business model (Taxi Firms) out of business thats just capitalism in motion. I am seriously not wishing job losses on anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Uber Eats is in Waterford now has this put all the delivery drivers out of the job yet?

Uber Eats is in Waterford now has this put all the delivery drivers out of the job yet?

Im assuming a lot of the delivery drivers will just start working for Uber eats.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

edit: Just to clarify I am not hoping any taxi drivers lose their jobs. All I am saying is that if one business model (Uber) puts another business model (Taxi Firms) out of business thats just capitalism in motion. I am seriously not wishing job losses on anyone.

Again a fundamental part of capitalism is protectionism, the uber model is ultimately about monopolisation of a pre-existing market, to drive competitors out of the market, which in turn increases overall worker insecurity in that market, including the reduction of wages etc, the ultimate goal being overall wealth extraction from an economy, it's also a part of typical libertarian utopic ideology

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Again a fundamental part of capitalism is protectionism, the uber model is ultimately about monopolisation of a pre-existing market, to drive competitors out of the market, which in turn increases overall worker insecurity in that market, including the reduction of wages etc, the ultimate goal being overall wealth extraction from an economy, it's also a part of typical libertarian utopic ideology

Good post. Of course, it may not turn out as badly as all that and uber might be good for the consumer. However, I think that we'd be foolish to ignore the risks. Obviously, uber on its own isn't going to transform the economy but it's part of a trend. The way I see it with the current model is that the income earned from the taxi industry stays local currently. With uber, you will inevitably have a large chunk of income leaving the local economy and the country.

• Advertisement

Good post. Of course, it may not turn out as badly as all that and uber might be good for the consumer. However, I think that we'd be foolish to ignore the risks. Obviously, uber on its own isn't going to transform the economy but it's part of a trend. The way I see it with the current model is that the income earned from the taxi industry stays local currently. With uber, you will inevitably have a large chunk of income leaving the local economy and the country.

Oh there's no question, companies such as uber do bring great benefits to a society, but this needs to be introduced very carefully, protective measures are critical for both parties, in order for its overall success, this currently isn't the case, the labour force is being seriously undermined, to the point of it being dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Oh there's no question, companies such as uber do bring great benefits to a society, but this needs to be introduced very carefully, protective measures are critical for both parties, in order for its overall success, this currently isn't the case, the labour force is being seriously undermined, to the point of it being dangerous

:pac: "Under communism, every man has what he needs. That's why the butcher puts a sign up that says "nobody needs meat today." ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

There probably just not hired by individual takeaways anymore so I'd say some did lose jobs.

:pac: "Under communism, every man has what he needs. That's why the butcher puts a sign up that says "nobody needs meat today." ;)

thank god thats what we dont have, what a disaster that would be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

the one decent thing about Uber is the quality of cars that are used. most of the taxi in the city are an utter disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Protection is not part of capitalism.

Why should Taxi drivers be given protection at the expense of the consumer?

most other business do not get this protection.
    How many small grocery retail units have been lost to the Lidl's, Aldi's and tescos of the world.

All jobs (excluding civil service) are at risk of a competitor coming in and being better and cheaper for the end user.

robtri wrote: »
    Protection is not part of capitalism.

Why should Taxi drivers be given protection at the expense of the consumer?

most other business do not get this protection.
    How many small grocery retail units have been lost to the Lidl's, Aldi's and tescos of the world.

All jobs (excluding civil service) are at risk of a competitor coming in and being better and cheaper for the end user.

again, protectionism is a critical and fundamental part of having a functioning capitalist society, so called free trade agreements have their basis firmly set in protectionism. as mentioned by yourself, major corporations have their protectionist needs met in these trade deals, this comes in many forms, including questionable tax arrangements, questionable practices that increase overall worker insecurities, including zero hour contracts, intellectual property etc etc i.e. protectionism, protectionism, protectionism. oh and id disagree with economists such as alan greenspan, increasing worker insecurity isnt good for the economy of the majority, particularly workers, but is good for the economy if the minority, particularly the plutocratic classes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

We should dismantle capitalism in Johns Street!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭barraseaclaid

Seen guys with cameras down there the other day. And they're drafting in Leo Di Caprio to play the leading role in a new movie about this whole debacle...The Wolf of John Street

Advertisement