Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus not selling connecting routes

Options
  • 06-10-2019 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

Hi

Does anyone know why Aer Lingus don't list some connections on their website, e.g. DUB -> MEXICO City with a connecting flight in MAD. The last leg is operated by Iberia which is part of IAG. Its listed on BA.com but is not bookable on aerlingus.com

I've spotted a few of these and was wondering what the logic is here, I get its probably not a high demand route, but surely the'd be better listing it that ba.com?

Cheers
    val

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ACADasltiv

Aer Lingus is a separate company to the rest of IAG. Iberia and British Airways merged, so it makes sense that an Iberia flight would be shown on BA.com as they would use the same booking systems.

I would expect there's much more demand for MAD -> MEX than DUB -> MEX, so IAG probably funnel the DUB -> MEX pax onto a regularly scheduled MAD -> MEX flight and reserve however many seats are booked through Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

ACADasltiv wrote: »
    Aer Lingus is a separate company to the rest of IAG. Iberia and British Airways merged, so it makes sense that an Iberia flight would be shown on BA.com as they would use the same booking systems.

Would I be wrong to assume they can freely connect between brands as if they are all code shares?

It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me, DUB -> MEX offered by ba.com is DUB -> MAD ->MEX the DUB -> MAD flight is operated by aerlingus. I know most people use kayak to find flights, but I would have thought aerlngus are leaving money on the table by not offering the sale of this flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ACADasltiv

It's more to do with the administrative side of it than anything else. Allowing ticket sales through the Aer Lingus website may involve integrating Aer Lingus' systems with those of BA/Iberia, which is going to incur significant cost.

BA, Iberia and American Airlines are a part of a joint business agreement where they allow bookings and share revenue on trans-Atlantic routes, so I would expect the plan is to include Aer Lingus eventually, it just may not be worth it for the expected return right now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Aer Lingus has BA codeshare and interline on their TA routes. But unless EI have an interline agreement with Iberia then they wont be able to sell onward connections on IB metal.

Tenger wrote: »
    Aer Lingus has BA codeshare and interline on their TA routes. But unless EI have an interline agreement with Iberia then they wont be able to sell onward connections on IB metal.

Thanks for the info. Seeing as they are both part of IAG would there be a commercial reason for them not to have an interline agreement?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Seeing as they are both part of IAG would there be a commercial reason for them not to have an interline agreement?

As above, it could be an issue with incompatible IT. Or just not business case for revenue generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

EI does interline with IB

The issue here is complex, but if you sold DUB-MAD-MEX it would actually be sold by Iberia even if it was sold on the Aer Lingus site due to the ticket plating rules. So if you go to Iberia's site it should allow this journey.

BA and EI have agreement which allows EI to sell any BA ticket on 053 and BA any EI ticket on 125.

Due EI's relationship with Etihad, you will see EI codes only on selected routes BA operate.

The issue here is complex, but if you sold DUB-MAD-MEX it would actually be sold by Iberia even if it was sold on the Aer Lingus site due to the ticket plating rules. So if you go to Iberia's site it should allow this journey.

BA and EI have agreement which allows EI to sell any BA ticket on 053 and BA any EI ticket on 125.

Both Iberia and ba allow the sale of the ticket, it just seems counter initiative to start on those websites and not on EIs

Also there is another flight I took before DUB->LHR->OSL not possible on the EI website but I booked it on the BA app.

Just curious as to the reason behind it, is it a commercial decision that it’s not worth the hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

As above, it could be an issue with incompatible IT. Or just not business case for revenue generation.

I am thinking the same. Aer Lingus, although part of IAG, is not a member of the OneWorld Alliance. It was a few years ago now. I think there was an issue of the cost to Aer Lingus upgrading their IT to become a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

The IT system should be workable in time - even if it sold one ticket I imagine there would be no downside to offering it?

How does the revenue sharing work (outside a JV)? Say for example I buy DUB-LHR-DXB on EI. Do EI pay a fixed fare for the LHR DXB section or do the IT systems adjust based on EI or BA fares live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

It can also be down to competition rules and the prevention of monopolistic pricing. Afaik the JV that BA AA already have is a legal agreement that has strict criteria as to what pricing and data sharing is allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Due EI's relationship with Etihad, you will see EI codes only on selected routes BA operate.

I looked at Shannon and Dublin last nite to Hong Kong. Ba site allowed it but EI site couldn’t handle it

Advertisement