Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arnotts for makeup and cosmetics?

Options
  • 06-10-2019 6:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

I was gonna get my gal a gift card for Arnotts.

Pretty sure she'll spend it on cosmetics, make up etc.

Arnotts carries that type of thing, right?

Would it be, one of the top outlets for makeup/cosmetics?
    On a par with Brown Thomas etc? (or really, I don't know exactly what the top cosmetics outlets are)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Arnotts have a great brand selection and do gift cards.
    If Arnotts is more accessible for you then BTs then definitely go for Arnotts!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

GingerLily wrote: »
    Arnotts have a great brand selection and do gift cards.
    If Arnotts is more accessible for you then BTs then definitely go for Arnotts!

Just for my own information, and for comparison's sake;

BT's is like, the creme de la creme of cosmetic stores?

Pharmacies with a make up section - Arnotts would outrank them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Just for my own information, and for comparison's sake;

BT's is like, the creme de la creme of cosmetic stores?

Pharmacies with a make up section - Arnotts would outrank them?

Arnotts and BT are nothing compared to pharmacies with a makeup selection. They are department stores. Arnotts has the better beauty selection than BT, IMO

I prefer BTs to Arnotts myself, partially because of accessibility and I like Mac and CT, but Arnotts beauty hall is great!

Definitely go for it OP, if she likes makeup she'll be sorted with a gift voucher for Arnotts, there are more affordable brands there Zoeva for example, so she'll have better variety if there's a budget :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Agree wi Arnotts having a better selection for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,115 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Arnotts for me too, the lighting in Brown Thomas makes it impossible to gauge colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Have a rifle through her makeup drawer if you can. Then look online at the brands Arnotts stocks and the brands BT stocks and make your decision from there.

Have a rifle through her makeup drawer if you can. Then look online at the brands Arnotts stocks and the brands BT stocks and make your decision from there.

Cool.

But just for 100% clarity - for a makeup and cosmetics blank slate like myself - the likes of BT and Arnotts, they're basically a step up from a chemist with a makeup department;

Like, way better?

Correct?

Arnotts/BT are THEE best places to go for this type of gear?

If she really wanted a pampering, would there be like, I dunno - someone to help her actually apply the makeup or select the best brands or types or whatever, in them stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

I'd prefer a voucher to BT's to be honest but it's much of a muchness.

SpaceNK is a lovely boutique store on Grafton Street, it's considered pricey but sells similar stuff to BT's/Arnotts, but slightly more exclusive/non-mainstream lines. https://www.spacenk.com/uk/en_GB/home-uk

Nice you are looking after your gal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I prefer BTs to Arnotts myself, partially because of accessibility and I like Mac and CT, but Arnotts beauty hall is great!

Definitely go for it OP, if she likes makeup she'll be sorted with a gift voucher for Arnotts, there are more affordable brands there Zoeva for example, so she'll have better variety if there's a budget :)

Mac is in Arnotts now, and if CT is Charlotte Tilbury they're there too.

In terms of an advice and pampering session at a make up counter, plenty of options in Arnotts:
    https://www.arnotts.ie/beauty/appointment-booking/

BTs and Arnotts are both great but for actually buying things Arnotts wins for me. I like browsing BTs but Arnotts always seems to be spot on for balancing luxury/quality & practicality across lots of departments. I'd find it much easier to use a voucher there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

+1 for Arnotts, I prefer shopping there and I think it might be due to the lighting, now Leg End Reject mentions it! They have all the high-end brands that BT has, and some excellent newer stands. Potential better value for money as they have some more affordable brands, so she could either splash out or make the voucher go a bit further.

Most counters offer makeovers or detailed consultations that can be redeemed against product purchase, and in general the staff there are very helpful if you just ask for advice.

And, if she chooses to not spend it on beauty, Arnotts has plenty of fashion concessions (Topshop, Mango) and a great lingerie & shoe department that she could use the voucher on.

I was gonna go for the 100 euro gift card.

Again, having absolutely no clue about make up - how far would that go?

If she was wanting to spend like, I dunno, an afternoon there or whatever, getting setup to f$$k - if you know what I'm saying - attended to by a makeup artist etc, then can reimburse the cost of that against product purchase?
    That's pretty aces.

So, how far would 100 euro go, make up wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I was gonna go for the 100 euro gift card.

Again, having absolutely no clue about make up - how far would that go?

If she was wanting to spend like, I dunno, an afternoon there or whatever, getting setup to f$$k - if you know what I'm saying - attended to by a makeup artist etc, then can reimburse the cost of that against product purchase?
    That's pretty aces.

So, how far would 100 euro go, make up wise?

It really depends on what she's after. A high end eyeshadow pallet from any of the big brands in BT or Arnotts would be €60-€75, taking up a good chunk of the budget for one thing.
    But just using Mac as an example, she could get a foundation, highlighter, lip liner and lipstick for around the €100 mark. It really depends on what she wants/needs.
    It'll go further with some brands/products than it will others.

That's pretty aces.

If you're redeeming against product it's per counter, not valid for the whole beauty department. Eg if you got a MAC makeover for €30 redeemable, and only spent €20, you couldn't spend that tenner elsewhere if you get me. But it's fairly standard practice for counters so if she's into makeup at all she'll know the jist.

How far it goes is really up to her! You could blow it on one moisturiser or get a full set of eye make up bits (palette, mascara, eyeliner)

If you want to buy her an "experience", have a look at the Brown Thomas Beauty Lounge https://www.brownthomas.com/be-inspired-style-features/brown-thomas-beauty-lounge/ €100 redeemable and you can shop from multiple brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

+ For Arnotts, theyre basically brown thomas in regards to their makeup, cosmetics and accessories like handbags but with a much better selection imo, they also stock everything from very affordable to mid range to very high prices so she is likely to find something. I just think she would get better use out of a voucher from Arnotts than Brown Thomas as she can buy anything from Bobbi Brown to the ordinary products.
    Also AFAIK some cosmetic counters give free makeup application with purchase. I know CT used to, not sure if this is still free. Regardless she could ask at any counter as they all offer this service and they could explain their pricing to her.

I was wandering through Primark yesterday and, couldn't help but notice, they actually have a makeup section also.

You got to understand, I know as much about makeup as I do about astrophysics.

In terms of outcome/quality, I suppose my question is - they have brands that go for one euro fifty per product - like I said, I'm just personally curious about their difference in quality compared to an Arnotts/BT high end makeup counter product?

Is it just "brand names", or is there a noticeable difference in the quality outcome?

EDIT: This question, ^^^^^, is purely my own curiosity on an area which has untold commercial and economic turnover, but which I know less that squat about.
    As in, does brand name mens underwear boast considerable advantage over primark microfibre?
    No.
    You're paying for a brand name.
    Is the makeup like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

One for all vouchers cover both BTs and Arnotts if you’re that torn between the choice.
    €100 won’t go far on big brand make up. Better make it €200/250 if you’re that desperate to have someone made up so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Does your girlfriend wear makeup?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I was wandering through Primark yesterday and, couldn't help but notice, they actually have a makeup section also.

In terms of outcome/quality, I suppose my question is - they have brands that go for one euro fifty per product - like I said, I'm just personally curious about their difference in quality compared to an Arnotts/BT high end makeup counter product?

Is it just "brand names", or is there a noticeable difference in the quality outcome?

EDIT: This question, ^^^^^, is purely my own curiosity on an area which has untold commercial and economic turnover, but which I know less that squat about.
    As in, does brand name mens underwear boast considerable advantage over primark microfibre?
    No.
    Is the makeup like that?

Generally speaking, the higher end products are of a better quality with better ingredients. Personal preference might mean one person prefers a €7 cheap foundation over a €35 one, but for the most part, the more expensive one will be better.

It isn't a case of just paying for the brand. In general, they are much better products. I would say 80% of my makeup bag is high end and about 20% cheaper/pharmacy items.
    I prefer to invest in higher quality bits.
    Some of the ingredients in the cheaper ones are a bit crap, especially if you have skin issues such as dryness/blemishes/oilyness etc. Someone with combination skin will get along better with them than someone with a specific concern like the above.

Of course, some people use the cheaper bits and get along great.
    But if I had a €100 one-for-all voucher to spend on makeup, you can be damn sure I'd be using it in Arnotts/BT's.
    I wouldn't even look at the Penneys stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I also wouldn't touch Penneys makeup or skincare.

• Advertisement

Penny's makeup is grand sometimes, but it's not really something you would gift to your partner, unless your both young teenagers.

Stick with your original idea - the Arnotts voucher, your over thinking it.

Penny's makeup is grand sometimes, but it's not really something you would gift to your partner, unless your both young teenagers.

Stick with your original idea - the Arnotts voucher, your over thinking it.

No no, I'm sticking with my original idea.

Getting her setup, someone to basically get the best look for her etc, then follow up with purchasing suitable products - feedback I've got is that Arnotts will cater to that, so that's what I'm going for.

Question as regards Primark brands, quite frankly comes via Elon Musks comment that the US economic turnover on lipstick alone, effectively dwarfs the annual monetary limits for NASA and aerospace development.

So when I saw a rack full of makeup for ridiculously low prices, I'm basically musing on the monetary implications of makeup development and sale.
    Is this attributable to some degree to marketing?
    Or are there actual quality and outcome benefits to higher priced products?

But what I'm hearing is - no, there's definitely a step up in quality from your budget, Euro Giant/Primark based product - versus BT/Arnotts based product.

Plenty of budget brands are owned by large parent companies who spend the R&D on their high end brands, if successful they'll make a budget edition for the budget brand, having recouped the development on high end sales. Example Lancome and L'Oréal Paris. Cheaper eyeshadow can have more filler powder that will affect the staying power, but still make it a decent product, cheaper lipstick might not be as pigmented, causing the user to top up more often, using more product - false economy.

Now some cheap stuff is absolutely ****e, particularly when you want something long lasting like nail polish or lipstick.

Most people I know who are in to makeup and skincare use a mix of high and low end.

And a general comment on lipstick... It always fits! Maybe why some women love shoes so much too :) It's a great treat to buy, relatively inexpensive pick-me-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Also just to point out, Arnotts and BT's both have the same owners - Galen Weston - who also own Selfridges in the UK.

Consequently they now have a lot of the same brands in their beauty halls, especially lately with newer brands that have come in the last 12-18 months, like Huda, ABH etc. They've gone into both beauty halls at the same time.

BTs carry more high end clothing/shoes and concessions etc, but for beauty I'd say they're on par.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

No.
    Is the makeup like that?

There is a huge difference in most products.
    More expensive foundations tend to be better quality, longer lasting and give a smoother more even toned finish (usually)
    Powders are less powdery looking on the skin, longer lasting and give a more natural appearance or better coverage that suits the skin type theyre built for.
    Expensive eyeshadows tend to be more pigmented, much longer lasting and dont have near as much fallout (this when the eyeshadow falls onto the face when being applied)

There will always be hit and miss products but generally, more expensive = better quality and some brands are better than others.

Brands that have more money can spend more on ingredients, research and production.

[...]

[...]

I can't let this go, it's a pet hate.

Nevermind cheap vs expensive makeup! No one, and I mean no one at all on the face of the earth or any other planet that has underwear-wearing life, should ever, under any circumstances, wear microfibre underwear.

They can claim it's breathable or hygenic, they can claim it's better than natural fibres, but the reality is that it's plastic. It's made from recycled plastic bottles and it's not going to let moisture escape it's orbit, not going to circulate air, and you could possibly end up with a skin issue, or a UTI, or most likely a malodorous genital area - and possibly all three - from the above mentioned shortcomings.

Plastic underwear is bad for you and really, really, bad for the environment, and there is no such thing as 'luxury' microfibre anymore than there is such a thing as luxury plastic pants!

Advertisement