Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick sale

Options
  • 06-10-2019 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi
    We are selling are house at the moment it’s very quiet. A house has come up and I’m just wondering if I went into the estate agents and said we would sell for a lower amount if they could sell ASAP. My husband thinks it looks desperate and we are showing them our lowest price we would accept. Any input would help greatly

Comments

i'm in the same situation, if your house has no offers and someone moves on the other house, then you could end up in a situation going sale agreed at a lower price and missing out on the one you want. How long is your house on the market and is it a decent location?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Storey2019

i'm in the same situation, if your house has no offers and someone moves on the other house, then you could end up in a situation going sale agreed at a lower price and missing out on the one you want. How long is your house on the market and is it a decent location?

It’s been on market since end of June. Have had two viewings. It’s right beside school and quiet estate of 28 houses. 15 minutes walk from town

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Babyboy09

Storey2019 wrote: »
    It’s been on market since end of June. Have had two viewings. It’s right beside school and quiet estate of 28 houses. 15 minutes walk from town

The summer is traditionally a quieter time for house sales though I would have expected more than one viewing a month.

Is it well presented? Are the photos good? Is the estate agent actively ‘selling’ it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

It's too dear so.
    If you have no offers since June your house is priced too high.

It's too dear so.
    If you have no offers since June your house is priced too high.

Hard to tell, is it a popular town/city?

I have had my house on the market for 3 weeks, was advised to go below my expectations and i have got a solid offer half way which is still decent and acceptable and over the actual asking advised by the EA

• Advertisement

The house is on the market since June. Not last week.

Everything has a price point.
    There are people looking for houses. Prices are up a tiny bit since last year everywhere but Dublin. Dublin is only back slightly.

House is too dear

Babyboy09 wrote: »
    The summer is traditionally a quieter time for house sales though I would have expected more than one viewing a month.

Is it well presented? Are the photos good? Is the estate agent actively ‘selling’ it?

On daft, my home. House is priced the same as others around. I have dropped it lower than the other one in the estate. We are in Arklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Prices are up a tiny bit since last year everywhere but Dublin. Dublin is only back slightly.

I was told by several local estate agents, just over 3 months ago, that 2nd hand prices in the Dublin 15 were down 10%, on this time last year.

Large supply of brand new houses after coming on the market.

Personally, I don't get it. I can never figure out why people are prepared to pay such a high premium on a brand new house.

I prefer 2nd hand. You can see exactly what you're getting, there is much more room as the houses and gardens are generally bigger, schools will be established, local shops and services will be open, and the whole area won't be filled with millions of kids, all the same age, some of who will become troublesome teenagers at the same time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP - property, in general, is taking longer to sell- however, if you've had the house on the market since June and have only had two viewings and no offers- simply put- you are not offering a property at a price point that the market is willing to accept.

Property prices in Dublin, Kildare and Wicklow- are falling (to different extents). The length of time to sell property is lengthening. It really doesn't matter what your bottom line is- what you're willing to accept- it matters what the market is willing to accept- and you are not currently in alignment with what the market is willing to accept.

Your bottom line is immaterial if you need to sell- and it doesn't really matter whether you appear desperate or not- if you price low enough, in general, you will have interest- and people will, in general, if there are enough interested parties, bid against one another on the property.

At the moment- given the lack of interest in your property- you either need to invest money, time and effort in selling the property- or you need to generate interest- by grasping the bull by the horns, and lowering your price.

Two viewings since June and no offers = you're not serious about trying to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

We are in Arklow.

There are plenty of A rated new builds in Wicklow town, Rathnew, Rathdrum etc & in my opinion, this has caused a slow down in the second hand property market in those areas & possibly also in Arklow. You may be competing for the same customer base. Is your property competitively priced, got good bathrooms & kitchen etc?

• Advertisement

Baybay wrote: »
    There are plenty of A rated new builds in Wicklow town, Rathnew, Rathdrum etc & in my opinion, this has caused a slow down in the second hand property market in those areas & possibly also in Arklow. You may be competing for the same customer base. Is your property competitively priced, got good bathrooms & kitchen etc?

Cheaper than the other one priced in the estate. There is a bank owned one in the estate but would have a lot of work to be do to. We have beading and stove in. It’s a c1 rated. The only thing I feel could be a down point would be its open plan and a small kitchen. It has served us well as a starter home. We have just out grown it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Cheaper than the other one priced in the estate. There is a bank owned one in the estate but would have a lot of work to be do to. We have beading and stove in. It’s a c1 rated. The only thing I feel could be a down point would be its open plan and a small kitchen. It has served us well as a starter home. We have just out grown it.

When you got the BER done- typically you'll have been given a list of items that would improve the BER (even changing your lightbulbs may change the BER). Could you tick a few of the cheaper items off the to-do list- and then price more competitively than the local builds etc.

How long is other secondhand property in the area taking to sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Think of it from the purchaser's point of view, they have most likely been watchig the market for a while and have noticed the price being reduced on daft/my home they are going to think if they wait prices might be reduced again.

Have the other properties in the estate sold how long are they on the market, are there new A-rated houses for sale in the same area even if they are more expensive.

If you are only selling to move to a bigger house do you really need to sell now.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Think of it from the purchaser's point of view, they have most likely been watchig the market for a while and have noticed the price being reduced on daft/my home they are going to think if they wait prices might be reduced again.

Or some will think

"Ah that nice house I wanted is now in my price range, better get in before it's gone"

Or some will think

"Ah that nice house I wanted is now in my price range, better get in before it's gone"

Spoke to estate agent and told them the lowest we could accept but wanted to keep it online at the price it’s on. Got a call later to say we have a viewing on it Friday. The other houses in the estate were on after mine by a few weeks know owner of one and they are waiting for the asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It’s right beside school and quiet estate of 28 houses. 15 minutes walk from town
    Is the school between you and the M11? If you have that you're near a school in your ad, perhaps omit it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Babyboy09 wrote: »

The whole market has slowed in some areas. Time to sell has increased I thought I read avg 10mths. Can't remember where I saw that.

Advertisement