Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

A proper #10 would be massive. I'd personally like a better top level striker, and Haland would be great, but I don't know how you fit Martial, Rashford, James and Haland into the first team right now.

Fred and McT are becoming a stronger duo. I know we need to fill out squad places, but I wonder will they go for a younger talent to develop, or look for a top star to replace Fred?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Beasty wrote: »
    When I first saw it I assumed it was a general thing they would have done to any United player. It was bad enough that missiles were thrown. The fact one hit took it onto a new level, but the racist element makes it into a massive issue. The fan will, I am sure, be banned from any football ground for life, and hopefully will also see some prison time. City could be facing a partial ground closure for this

Tbh I'd be more concerned about hard objects. Both awful mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

BDI wrote: »
    Mick phelan, given his job back. That was Moyes problem. Should have never broke up that backroom. Could have coasted for years just leaving the staff at it.

I think that and that alone set man utd back the way it did.

To think Moyes thought his number two was better than Ferguson’s number two.

Tbh, most managers have trusted staff that they bring everywhere with them. It might not have been the right thing at the time but you cannot begrudge him for bringing staff in that he trusts and they would know exact what he wants..

Moyes problem wasnt the backroom staff. It was that he wasnt good enough to take over United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Mick phelan, given his job back. That was Moyes problem. Should have never broke up that backroom. Could have coasted for years just leaving the staff at it.

I think that and that alone set man utd back the way it did.

To think Moyes thought his number two was better than Ferguson’s number two.

Wasnt phelan credited with basically running things for a while? Think when Ferguson or his wife was sick.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Trigger wrote: »
    Moyes problem wasnt the backroom staff. It was that he wasnt good enough to take over United.

Yeah, my personal take is that over the last seven years, the big issue has never been who we got rid of, it's the level of replacement we brought in (or didn't, as was often the case...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

We need 4 top class players to go straight into the first team .

1. A world class centre midfielder that can hold onto possession and dictate play .

2. Another top centre half

3. A striker that can score half chances and doesn't just rely on his speed on the counter attack

4. A right sided attacker to compete with James

5. May be a left back too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Wasnt phelan credited with basically running things for a while? Think when Ferguson or his wife was sick.

With the control Ferguson had over the whole club I’d say Phelan had way more responsibilities than people realise.

Probably had a meeting with the boss once or twice a week then had a cup of tea and a warm chair ready for him in the dressing room on Match day and knew his place.

It’s no coincidence he was brought in there with Ole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Credited, by himself.

He has also been here for the year we've been rubbish for.

How did his managerial career go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Lord TSC wrote: »
    A proper #10 would be massive. I'd personally like a better top level striker, and Haland would be great, but I don't know how you fit Martial, Rashford, James and Haland into the first team right now.

Fred and McT are becoming a stronger duo. I know we need to fill out squad places, but I wonder will they go for a younger talent to develop, or look for a top star to replace Fred?

James and Martial would become Squad players for Sancho and Haaland

• Advertisement

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    We need 4 top class players to go straight into the first team .

1. A world class centre midfielder that can hold onto possession and dictate play .

2. Another top centre half

3. A striker that can score half chances and doesn't just rely on his speed on the counter attack

4. A right sided attacker to compete with James

5. May be a left back too

We definitely can upgrade on shaw. The difference between his side and Bissakas is night and day.

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    James and Martial would become Squad players for Sancho and Haaland

That’s what should be happening every year. Always looking to improve. No sentimentality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Enjoyed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I had actually forgotten all abut Dalot - is he due back from injury soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

When Pogba comes back I presume it’ll be Lingard who drops out? Given Pogba’s attitude i would happily see him gone, but until we get a replacement he will be needed in the team.

I enjoyed that game today, looked like the lads really enjoyed themselves out there and really fought hard to get the 3 points.

I’d say pogba isgone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Just has a peek at their thread, amazing how many of them supported us today and cheered as we scored.

Thats the difference i guess, no matter what, i could never EVER want them to win a thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

DM_7 wrote: »
    Jose and Pep beaten in a few days. Well done Ole.

He is an ace at counter attack football.

If he can get things in order for games where United have most of the ball then we can have faith in him. Maybe he needs a couple of players in January to get there? Hope the two results this week compared to the previous two give him the leverage to convince Ed and co what is needed.

That’s the concern, even with 3 points... stats suggesting City had 71% United 29%... it looked that way to be fair...

We need to be able to manage possession better, hold the ball up and enable not just be able to play good attacking play on the break but create and threaten from wide from deliberate build up play.

I wonder who the last manager was that beat pep and Jose in the same week.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

scudzilla wrote: »
    Just has a peek at their thread, amazing how many of them supported us today and cheered as we scored.

Thats the difference i guess, no matter what, i could never EVER want them to win a thing
    So you didnt want them to win in 1995 v Blackburn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

6 games left in 2019. Should be looking to win all 6 to get a run going into new year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

So you didnt want them to win in 1995 v Blackburn?

No, I wanted United to win, they didn't, they didn't take care of their own business so the Liverpool victory was irrelevant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Yeah we all wanted City, the best Premier League team of all time, to beat a team 25pts behind us and bring them 3pts closer to us in a season when we're doing well because of a rivalry...

We're not all that bitter, I'm delighted ye won today, delighted you beat Leicester too.
    Well done today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Strumms wrote: »
    That’s the concern, even with 3 points... stats suggesting City had 71% United 29%... it looked that way to be fair...

We need to be able to manage possession better, hold the ball up and enable not just be able to play good attacking play on the break but create and threaten from wide from deliberate build up play.

It is possible to control the game without the ball. It is possible to create chances with quick play that utilises space afforded by a team who are vulnerable when they lose the ball.

What United did in the last two games was deliberate.

Ole has very much continued with what Jose was great at in the counter style but I think United have more threat, purpose and killer instinct in the counter now.

Perhaps I misunderstood your point, I took it that you expect more use of the ball in a game like today which is not needed. It is exactly what SAF did to likes of Arsenal in the past who were preoccupied with a certain style. Timeless approach in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

You are right that it is easy to want unit to win games now, because they are completely irrelevant in the league context.

Sure before this week they were what 14th and could end up back where they probably should be again. We are delight for Ole to get a few wins to keep him there too.

I wonder who the last manager was that beat pep and Jose in the same week.

Probably Jose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

But it was OK for half utd's fan base to support city when they played against your own team at the end of last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Dozyart wrote: »
    Pep is such a crying fcuk

I was thinking this and he can be a very sore loser but he seemed very humbled after the game going around shaking players hands (didn’t see his interview so don’t know what he said). I think he’s accepted the league is over.

Can get over that win, be a shame if they don’t follow that up with a few wins on the trot, just to get a bit of momentum. Been awhile since such a good display and result offered actual hope that something good might actually be in the works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

DM_7 wrote: »
    It is possible to control the game without the ball. It is possible to create chances with quick play that utilises space afforded by a team who are vulnerable when they lose the ball.

What United did in the last two games was deliberate.

Ole has very much continued with what Jose was great at in the counter style but I think United have more threat, purpose and killer instinct in the counter now.

Perhaps I misunderstood your point, I took it that you expect more use of the ball in a game like today which is not needed. It is exactly what SAF did to likes of Arsenal in the past who were preoccupied with a certain style. Timeless approach in my opinion.

We held possession of the football 29%... that’s unheard of, that’s nuts. If you invite the opposition to have 71% of possession, you are inviting trouble. We were fûcking sublime at the back but why invite the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

shamrock55 wrote: »
    But it was OK for half utd's fan base to support city when they played against your own team at the end of last season

There was one very vocal utd poster on here stating that fourth for Utd would be fleeting but Liverpool winning the leave was forever or something.

I can't remember which one it was.

I don't think it was half the posters on here though.

We held possession of the football 29%... that’s unheard of, that’s nuts. If you invite the opposition to have 71% of possession, you are inviting trouble. We were fûcking sublime at the back but why invite the problem.

If the same thing happened today every single game of the season we would win the league.

If the same thing happened today every single game of the season we would win the league.

no you wouldn't :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I think Chelsea had something similar when they beat Barca at the nou camp. In fact any team that beat Barca between 2008 and 2016 prob had that amount of possession.

I think it’s a case of playing to your strengths and in this case it worked. I think Leicester won the league with a low % of possession the whole season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Fred, mctominay and lingard vs silva, kdb, silva. We were never gonna match them on possession. It was always going to need quick transitions and counters.

We need to improve our midfield to be able to match them properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Drumpot wrote: »
    I think Chelsea had something similar when they beat Barca at the nou camp. In fact any team that beat Barca between 2008 and 2016 prob had that amount of possession.

I think it’s a case of playing to your strengths and in this case it worked. I think Leicester won the league with a low % of possession the whole season.

I think the possession record is between Barca and Celtic in the UCL at Celtic Park. Barca had 80% of the ball and lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

City are a much better team than us. Even if Utd were stronger. the possession stats are no big surprise. It’s City’s thing.

I thought we played the right game against them and were very disciplined for the most part and fully deserved the victory. Utd should have won by more despite the 29% possession.

adox wrote: »
    City are a much better team than us. Even if Utd were stronger the possession stats are no big surprise. It’s City’s thing.

I thought we played the right game against them and were very disciplined for the most part and fully deserved the victory. Utd should have won by more despite the 29% possession.

Yeah punching above his weight I’d say.

Also when we talk about coaching, the counter attack play does not just happen. Today we can see great examples of coaching and systems as well ad quality form the players. One example is the interceptions that lead to a pass played forward, a sideways pass/layoff to a player who is looking up field to pass to an advanced player. Other United players are running forward at pace into space in support.

Good coaching and planning can be seen across the game, examples for the peno, Martials goal, Rashford's shot to the right and him hitting the crossbar at 0-1.

The last one is a great example and something Ajax do brilliantly where they move the ball down one side of the pitch, drag the opposition towards that side and then uae a lateral pass to an attacking player on the other side. Rashford is barely left of centre yet all five players back for City are to his right , have had to turn and run while he is coming onto the ball.

That is why I think Ole is an ace at counter play.

Obviously he has to do a whole lot better at coaching his side in how to effectively play in games where the counter can't be utilised so easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

noodler wrote: »
    There was one very vocal utd poster on here stating that fourth for Utd would be fleeting but Liverpool winning the leave was forever or something.

I can't remember which one it was.

I don't think it was half the posters on here though.

Maybe not on here but the majority of utd fans I know and spoke to at the time wanted city to win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

This the Liverpool or Manchester United thread.. am I in the wrong place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It’s been the same for the last 5 or 6 years, the bigger teams feel the need to impose themselves on us, press us high and keep possession, which leaves plenty of opportunities to counter attack.

Jose did the same, so Ole isn’t reinventing the wheel here. It has worked out well for us, so why change it.

Van Gaal had the opposite approach and yet he had a fantastic record against the bigger English sides.

Since Ferguson left we have a good record against the bigger clubs, for all it’s worth, Moyes aside obviously. The main struggle has always been cracking the smaller teams, we have players who can punish the bigger teams when they commit too many forward, but we don’t have the quality needed to unlock a defence on a consistent basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

brinty wrote: »
    This the Liverpool or Manchester United thread.. am I in the wrong place

Very disingenuous.

The issue of Liverpool fans supporting it'd today was brought up by a utd fan a page ago.

Edit: But to keep on topic even more. Ignore the possession stats, utd tore through city at easy today and the possession stats don't tell you that. But for some poor finishing and Walker's recovery pace, it could have got ugly.

Fred, mctominay and lingard vs silva, kdb, silva. We were never gonna match them on possession. It was always going to need quick transitions and counters.

We need to improve our midfield to be able to match them properly.

Makes no sense to try and match City in midfield even if United had a great midfield.

If you engage in a midfield battle you leave your team open to quality teams in the central areas. It is more logical to force then wide, if they try to play central then it forces them into passes less likely to come off and then you can counter when the defence is not protected.

You can have 3 attackers versus 4 or 5 and actually have an advantage as you are running at a defence who are retreating (It is actually something that hurts United themselves in ganes where they control the ball).

This is the counter to what Pep does, not all teams have the quality in attack to damage City (or defence to win the ball) when they counter, yet we have seen high profile games in Champions League for example where teams have ripped his sides apart due to the stubborn approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

James is really exciting to watch. His style is basic as they come but I just think "Go, go, go!" whenever he is one-on-one with a full back. Finally a threat from the right wing.

The attackers need to gamble on his crosses too because he puts the ball in very dangerous areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Surprised Pereira's tackle didn't make the highlights for MOTD! It got some cheer here. As cynical as they come and couldn't have come against a better team. I'll forgive him for the atrocious touch that lead up to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Surely there is one of those WhatsApp messages going around regarding the contents of Wan Bissaka's pockets?!
    Thought he was outstanding today against one of the leagues most dangerous attackers.

Surely there is one of those WhatsApp messages going around regarding the contents of Wan Bissaka's pockets?!
    Thought he was outstanding today against one of the leagues most dangerous attackers.

Yep he is one of the rare full backs around these days that doesn’t need the winger to constantly help him.

Shaw on the other hand has started to look more like a man on a door than a left full. Shows them the wing(doorway) lets them past him then throws them out when they launch a football across the bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

There is one for Fred alright with DeBruyne firmly in it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

And Jesus giving out to the ref about time wasting.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement