Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Drumpot wrote: »
    Anybody see a scenario where Pogba knuckles down, comes into the side and makes us even stronger/better?

Yes but mainly to force through a move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Anybody see a scenario where Pogba knuckles down, comes into the side and makes us even stronger/better?

Yeah on my football manager save but not in real life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ole's vision for the club can't be a team full of 21 years olds. It simply can't, and I don't believe for one second that it is.

There has to be a mixture of youth and experience.

Ole has signed three players so far.

James 22
    AWB 22
    Maguire 26

Maguire shows he'll go for "experience", in so far as Maguire was obvious a leader at Leicester. I don't know if that "experience" tag will go beyond 27 year olds or that. Woodward, I feel, seems to want to avoid overpaying for players whose value drops instantly when they join. But I'd say if there's 24-27 year olds that fit what we need, he'd go for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

He's only putting in time until he gets a move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I honestly think there is a deal agreed for pogba and a whole transfer saga planned to the Instagram post to brighten up January for all you instagram and twitter advertised post lovers.

The likes from the post about him standing beside a insert highest bidder here car while holding a bottle of insert highest bidder here drink and holidaying in a luxurious hotel in insert highest bidder here city will probably be worth 50 million in adverts. It’ll be in black and white and go viral while people decide if it means he is going to juve or Madrid. The pogba machine keeps spinning whether he plays good or not.

He is a celebrity that happens to play football now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

BDI wrote: »
    I honestly think there is a deal agreed for pogba and a whole transfer saga planned to the Instagram post to brighten up January for all you instagram and twitter advertised post lovers.

The likes from the post about him standing beside a insert highest bidder here car while holding a bottle of insert highest bidder here drink and holidaying in a luxurious hotel in insert highest bidder here city will probably be worth 50 million in adverts. It’ll be in black and white and go viral while people decide if it means he is going to juve or Madrid. The pogba machine keeps spinning whether he plays good or not.

He is a celebrity that happens to play football now.

What are you dribbling on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I meant he doesn't want over the hill players,did you forget about the Sanchez fiasco?

THat is not what you said.

You said "too old", at 30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Ole has signed three players so far.

James 22
    AWB 22
    Maguire 26

Maguire shows he'll go for "experience", in so far as Maguire was obvious a leader at Leicester. I don't know if that "experience" tag will go beyond 27 year olds or that. Woodward, I feel, seems to want to avoid overpaying for players whose value drops instantly when they join. But I'd say if there's 24-27 year olds that fit what we need, he'd go for them.

I would say he'll go over 30 in January (for MM or elsewhere), if a deal can be done for a backup striker. Ole has also spoke about adding experience a good bit. The English media ran with the "young and British" thing over the summer but Ole has spoken afterwards to suggest it's not an all or nothing philosophy.

The average age of a winning squad is 24-25 iirc. Experience is needed as we should be offloading some more elder members of the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Ole Has taken points from Liverpool , only team to do so in months
    Beaten City at city
    Beaten Chelsea
    Beaten a resurgent Spurs under Mourinho
    Beaten a Leicester on fire and tearing up the league

Surely you have to have faith in him now , 6 year contract offer should be woodwards next step.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Beaten City at city
    Beaten Chelsea

Surely you have to have faith in him now , 6 year contract offer should be woodwards next step.

Good man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Beaten City at city
    Beaten Chelsea

Brilliant results absolutely.

BUT, United have taken 13 points from 11 matches against non-Big Six teams this season. 13 from a possible 33.

Until that changes, only then will I start to believe Ole might be the man to take United forward.

Everton (H), Watford (A) and Newcastle (H) will be 'the test'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

BUT, United have taken 13 points from 11 matches against non-Big Six teams this season. 13 from a possible 33.

Until that changes, only then will I start to believe Ole might be the man to take United forward.

Ya finding some consistency is the next big challenge

The poster isn't being 100% serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,591 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

James has been phenomenal if you think about the context, coming into a misfiring team from the championship and being brought in as "one for the future" his performances have made him undroppable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Very enjoyable viewing.

Bounced from Club to Club, and PSG willing to move him on after only signing him last January, and only making 3 appearances this season.

A bunch of Red Flags.

but maybe he just needs the right spot/team/chance. That doesn't sound much like United of late though.

• Bounced from Club to Club, and PSG willing to move him on after only signing him last January, and only making 3 appearances this season.

A bunch of Red Flags.

but maybe he just needs the right spot/team/chance. That doesn't sound much like United of late though.

What?

What?

Feck.

Ment to quote the twitter comment above on the link to the PSG fella.

• Advertisement

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Trigger wrote: »
    James has been phenomenal if you think about the context, coming into a misfiring team from the championship and being brought in as "one for the future" his performances have made him undroppable

Genuinely thought he was just gonna go in with Greenwood, Chong, Gomes, Garner this season and get the odd appearance here and there but as you said, he’s been phenomenal. I’d still like an out and out right winger to come in but my god it’s nice to see an actual attacking threat from our right wing this season. Which probably makes James all the more impressive as the left is his preferred wing afaik.

The thing with James is I actually think he'd look even better if he had a proper natural striker in front of him.

Rashford's strongest position is on the left wing, running in. He looks great when he gets room to run at people. But the number of times I've seen James whip great balls into the box close to the front post, only for Rashford to be a few steps behind....

With a striker who knows to make the runs to get onto James' ball, he's really going to look even better.

His crossing and general wing play in the last few matches has been very good. I feared hed be a kick and run speed merchant, but he is creating good openings.

It can be tough on wingers. An incomplete cross is not always a bad one. Sometimes it's the striker not gambling or it just being beyond them without being bad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

The thing with James is I actually think he'd look even better if he had a proper natural striker in front of him.

Rashford's strongest position is on the left wing, running in. He looks great when he gets room to run at people. But the number of times I've seen James whip great balls into the box close to the front post, only for Rashford to be a few steps behind....

With a striker who knows to make the runs to get onto James' ball, he's really going to look even better.

Yeah. I think the last couple of games have shown Rashford is at his best on the left wing.

Some of the balls James puts in are brilliant. There’s just nobody in the box to profit from them too often.

Haaland will be banging them in come January.

Haaland will be banging them in come January.

So, if Haland comes in, who gets dropped? Martial or Rashford? We're back to that conundrum again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

So, if Haland comes in, who gets dropped? Martial or Rashford? We're back to that conundrum again.

Couldn't drop Rashford the way he's playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

James is one of the signings of the season. Such a humble lad and still very young so lots of room for improvement. He could be with the club for a very long time. As mentioned I don't see where Haaland fits in with the current set up. Who do you drop up front. Would it be Martial as Rashford is suited on the wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

billyhead wrote: »
    James is one of the signings of the season. Such a humble lad and still very young so lots of room for improvement. He could be with the club for a very long time. As mentioned I don't see where Haaland fits in with the current set up. Who do you drop up front. Would it be Martial as Rashford is suited on the wing.

Rotates with Martial, of course injuries will happen too.

• Advertisement

Martial, unless he plays better than either haaland or rashford.

Or neither until haaland dislodged one.

Maybe we should look to have viable quality options rather the undisputed first choices.

I'd drop Martial every time tbh, but rotation for a striker role is a healthy thing to have in the squad, with Martial able to play out left also there is more than enough games to go around

A problem at United is lack of consequence for poor performances, and that is down to a lack of viable options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

I dont think Haaland would come to sit on the bench and also signing another striker would stunt Greenwoods development. Better of getting an attacking midfielder in the January window i.e Maddison, Grealish type of player.

billyhead wrote: »
    I dont think Haaland would come to sit on the bench and also signing another striker would stunt Greenwoods development. Better of getting an attacking midfielder in the January window i.e Maddison, Grealish type of player.

Agree about him not sitting on the bench; the main selling point of us would be Haaland would get to be a nailed on starter.

With the greatest of respect to Greenwood, you don't turn down a first team striker for fear a kid might not get time to develop.

If anything, I'd bring in Haaland so that we could loan Greenwood out to a Championship team, and let him get regular first team football.

The thing about "competition" and Martial is....does Marital stick around if he gets relegated back to the bench? He looked to be half out the door when Jose was doing that with him. From a club point of view, he'd happily sit on the bench waiting for his chance. But I don't know if he'll be happy with a squad place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Does Maddison press alot and would yous be happy to for him to replace Pogba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Does Maddison press alot and would yous be happy to for him to replace Pogba

Not in January id prefer him to stay at Leicester and help them win another Premier league.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Agree about him not sitting on the bench; the main selling point of us would be Haaland would get to be a nailed on starter.

With the greatest of respect to Greenwood, you don't turn down a first team striker for fear a kid might not get time to develop.

If anything, I'd bring in Haaland so that we could loan Greenwood out to a Championship team, and let him get regular first team football.

The thing about "competition" and Martial is....does Marital stick around if he gets relegated back to the bench? He looked to be half out the door when Jose was doing that with him. From a club point of view, he'd happily sit on the bench waiting for his chance. But I don't know if he'll be happy with a squad place.

Bit extreme to view an attacker arriving as Martial positioned for the exit?

United would go to having one striker to having two.

Apart from the obvious number of games and game scenarios (sub on/off) to keep players sufficiently playing a new striker opens up lots of options.

All three could play together. New set ups become possible like two up top.

Whatever United do, players linking up will be an important part of success into the future. Haaland is mobile, good touch, likes to run in behind or run onto things so a very good option for any club who wants variety.

I think Martial would love to play with a guy like Haaland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've seen Grealish mentioned once or twice recently. Did he play as a 10 last season? From what I see this year he spends a lot of time wide left which is surely the last thing we need right now.

Very impressed with what I have seen though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Not sold on either Grealish or Maddison myself. Both have character flaws. Willing to give Grealish benefit of doubt given he was young when he was in the headlines but I’ve heard too many stories about Maddison. Good player though.

Halaand looks the real deal and his profile is perfect in terms of age and size. Martial is so hot and cold and I’d have no problem with somebody competing with him. Rashford is a far superior player to Martial at present.

Wouldn’t worry about Halaand stunting Greenwood who I think would benefit hugely with a loan to the championship. He will fill out in next year or so. Never been as sure on a young player on making it as I am with him. He’s a natural and I only barrier I can see is if his attitude is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I bet there are no January signings of note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Rice is a nothing player. I hope any links to him are false.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

J. Marston wrote: »

Nothing player is a bit harsh but I would prefer Ndidi myself . I think Mctominay has surpassed rice in recent times . The midfielder id love is fabinho. He has it all . Should have went for him over matic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

J. Marston wrote: »

He's the new Jack Rodwell.

The £60M pricetag on Rice is being well and truly shown up this season.

Would hate to see him in a United jersey.

Not sold on either Grealish or Maddison myself. Both have character flaws. Willing to give Grealish benefit of doubt given he was young when he was in the headlines but I’ve heard too many stories about Maddison. Good player though.

Halaand looks the real deal and his profile is perfects in terms of age and size. Martial is so hot and cold and I’d have no problem with somebody competing with him. Rashford is a far superior player to Martial at present.

Wouldn’t worry about Halaand stunting Greenwood who I think would benefit hugely with a loan to the championship. He will fill out in next year or so. Never been as sure on a young player on making it as I am with him. He’s a natural and I only barrier I can see is if his attitude is wrong.

I'd hate to think what our history would be like without player with character flaws... Keane, Cantona, Giggs, Rooney to name but a few off the tip of the tongue.

Maybe we need more players with these flaws.

I haven't heard much about Maddison other than they he might have been acting billy big boll1x on a few nights out as a youngster. Both seem to have matured very well of late.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    I'd hate to think what our history would be like without player with character flaws... Keane, Cantona, Giggs, Rooney to name but a few off the tip of the tongue.

Maybe we need more players with these flaws.

I haven't heard much about Maddison other than they he might have been acting billy big boll1x on a few nights out as a youngster. Both seem to have matured very well of late.

There is a chasm in the difference of character types between the ex united players you mention there and the two prospects. Nobody is saying you have to be a perfect human. You do have to have the right attitude though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The Norwegian lad probably isn’t going to leave when they are on for a title this season, you would think whoever buys him will loan him back until next summer

I’m curious to see how much we get for Pogba, I think he’s definitely moving within the next year.

There is a chasm in the difference of character types between the ex united players you mention there and the two prospects. Nobody is saying you have to be a perfect human. You do have to have the right attitude though.

And Maddison and Grealish don't have the right attitude? One his club captain and one helping to getting his team to 2nd in the PL.

It was yourself that mentioned character flaws not on pitch attitude.

PARlance wrote: »
    And Maddison and Grealish don't have the right attitude? One his club captain and one helping to getting his team to 2nd in the PL.

It was yourself that mentioned character flaws not on pitch attitude.

No, we’re not on the same page here and it’s probably my fault. I don’t ever recall any of those united players acting like they’ve made it when they were kids and always had the right attitude even when they were younger.

Even if they were, we had enough fantastic pros in our teams back then that we could probably deal with someone who had the wrong mindset or attitude. I’m not so sure we have that luxury nowadays. Grealish I’m willing to give benefit of doubt as he was a kid and looks like he’s matured somewhat. Not sure if he is good enough however.

Maddison, I’ve said before, I’ve heard from very close friends who are in the game that he isn’t a very nice person.

No, we’re not on the same page here and it’s probably my fault. I don’t ever recall any of those united players acting like they’ve made it when they were kids and always had the right attitude even when they were younger.

Even if they were, we had enough fantastic pros in our teams back then that we could probably deal with someone who had the wrong mindset or attitude. I’m not so sure we have that luxury nowadays. Grealish I’m willing to give benefit of doubt as he was a kid and looks like he’s matured somewhat. Not sure if he is good enough however.

Maddison, I’ve said before, I’ve heard from very close friends who are in the game that he isn’t a very nice person.

I wouldn't be 100% convinced about Grealish either (playing wise) but I think you're being harsh on Maddison. I think you mentioned your friends stories before, they didn't amount to much more than him acting the idiot when out on a few occasions? Was there more to it than that?

Personally I wouldn't be too bothered about that, lads can change with drink, especially professional athletes who aren't used to it and especially teenagers on a few grand a week.

Any interviews, videos etc I've seen of him have come across very well and tbh I don't think you make it these days without being well grounded and extremely determined. He's playing a huge part in a team that's the closest rivals to Liverpool for the league, he's doing it on the pitch and that matters most to me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement